How Long Veg Photos?

So how long do you veg your photos?

All setups are different and will have different needs.

I veg 6 weeks because I want to end up with 2.5-3’ hedges.

What does everyone else do?

17 Likes

4-6 weeks depending on how big the plant was when I popped them into the beds.

10 Likes

Do you notice they stay significantly smaller with only 4 weeks? If at all?

2 Likes

Well I veg until they fill the bottom screen, however long that takes. A four week veg would be if I started with a bigger plant.

5 Likes

I never really kept track now that I think about it, whenever they fill the tent they get flipped

8 Likes

I go 6-8 weeks depending on training needs and how lazy I’ve been.

7 Likes

I guess I go by how fast they’re veggin. height can be an issue in certain shorter tents of mine. little past 6 weeks of veg for the Bam-Bam i got going current and she’s damn near 5ft right now in flower. Guess it depends on the cultivar. Yup.

4 Likes

i use the 1x stretch rule of thumb. when plants are half way up to the lights i flip planning on the 1x stretch. plant is half way to lights if the plant doubles in size [1x] during the stretch tent is full. if plant goes 2x or 3x during stretch then the plant gets a whole lot of bending & heavy re-direction. and all other sorts of contorsional-ism stuff! to keep it under the lights.

6 Likes

Nice idea. I had a plant quadruple on me and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it.

Really I’m trying to find out what happens with a 1 month veg. I need to buy 2 weeks on this run.

4 Likes

Running perpetual 12/12, they figure it out by themselves. :smile:

7 Likes

Do you find they start flowering at 6 weeks?

1 Like

I haven’t really been keeping track, but they all start flowering at different size and time.

Stress is a big influence as well.

The drier the soil, the faster they start flowering.

I have 3 midgets going on now, tiny and flowering but haven’t grown in a long time.
Barely bulking up the flowers and no stretch.

2 Likes

recently i have been starting autos and photos the same time then when autos are done i flip so about 90-100 days

4 Likes

Around 6 weeks or when they’re ~1/3 of the height of the tent usually.

Flipped the current untopped, untrained plants after a month, would’ve been in trouble if they got much bigger in the 6’ tent. Had to tie one back that was getting bleached.

3 Likes

From seed, most of my plants are 10-11 weeks old by the time they get flipped to 12/12

2 Likes

Depends. I did a scrog a while ago and vegged maybe 9 weeks. But usually 4-6 weeks. I’ve grown in various size spaces though so usually just listen to what the plants are telling me.

2 Likes

@anon58740919
Same concept here…only with us using Low Stress Training “LST” techniques
Height is an issue in our basement so when I was able, I’d do.a lil.bondage on the ladies haha … sometimes over 12 weeks when also.when we needed to flower a mom… anyway, we’ve vegged as early as 4 weeks with fast growing strains and yielded pretty darn good about 4 - 6 oz on a 2-1/2 3 ft strain dependent. I maybe thinking of some we did in hydro may have to refer to my partner in crime @Lady.Zandra63

2 Likes

Yep…pretty sure the 3ft Hashberry was the one we got over 4oz off of… in hydro with Ionics, Liquid Karma, Cha Ching, etc…

2 Likes

@Lady.Zandra63 I was thinking of the 2 ft papaya that harvested 6 oz

2 Likes

I usually flip at about 90 days or so. I try to allow my plants to get large so that my yield is improved. Some plants that I have run before that get lanky get topped, if I haven’t run the strain before and aren’t overly stretching I leave alone to see their natural growth pattern. I log their performance so if I run a strain again I know what to expect and treat accordingly throughout the grow.
But I don’t grow in a tent either, I have 7x9 rooms I use for growing, 1 room for veg, 1 room for flowering.

4 Likes