How To Black Out A Window

Please share any methods you have used to black out a window - specifically a standard “hung window” (one that opens vertically/slides up and down) - and where a portable ac will be running through the open window (i.e.: there will be one or two holes, with some type of ducting going to either an OEM window “adapter” or something custom made (like rigid insulation, or wooden). Not a single pinhole worth of light should come through. Ideally not permanent.

-Black/White out privacy film?
-Panda Film (a little hard to work with, depending on the window and application)
-Some type of paint, maybe even a rubberized paint that’ll dry to a film that can be relatively easily removed when needed. Able to be rolled or brushed on maybe.

9 Likes

I always just leave the curtains closed and screw a plywood on top. Then cut needed openings to install flanges and bam

6 Likes

One of the advantages of having a dedicated room. I make the curtain loop at the top larger. Cradle the outlet 6" in the fabric and cover with a black panty hose.
I run the ac from other rooms into the grow room so temps are good.
I guess u could put the portable ac at the bottom of the window.
Good luck growmies

3 Likes

Two inch foam board insulation here.
Cut it just smidge larger than the window frame, then cut the window-side edges off at an angle to make it tapered. That way when I push it in, it will squeeze in nice and snug.
Then foam board I speak off can be bought in 8’×4’ sheets at most home improvement stores. It is generally used to insulate foundations and floors. It is purple or pink. Not the white styrofoam sheets with reflective foil-like stuff on one side. That shit gets everywhere when you cut it! The stuff I use can be scored deep with a blade and then snapped over your knee for a clean cut. No mess. :+1:

5 Likes

I use a couple layers of thick black trash bags with hvac foil tape to secure it around the window adapter mount and ducting. I use tacks or nails to secure it to the wall. That tape will rip off paint it comes in contact with on your walls.
Curtains work well also but are more expensive than a few bags.

2 Likes

I’ve ran rooms with widows like that. Hooked up the ac and had curtains in the window sill. Cardboard behind the curtain and panda film the room. Then from the outside it looks like a window with ac and a closed curtain :wink:

2 Likes

I used to black out my windows for work and just used tinfoil. It’s simple to get, throw up and work with.

3 Likes

But then you might look like a total tweaker. :rofl:

2 Likes

Aluminum foil. Blocks everything 100% and crazy cheap.

If keeping things on the low down is important I would opt for Mithridate’s option. Closed curtain and boarded up inconspicuously. If air is going to flow through it may be best to opt for a roll down curtain that won’t flap or wave around like a hanging curtain.

1 Like

I bought the window ac kits and run my exhaust’s through them, then took garbage bags and taped them to the windows themselves (nice and tidy) from the outside it looks like someone blacked it out professionally no joke, and the ac window thing takes any suspicion away as well . Noma makes them you can buy at Lowe’s /Home Depot. Ac infinity JUST started making some too specific for exhaust so you don’t need to use dampers etc like I did

1 Like

I’ll get into it when I get a chance, but for now just a note; panda film, at least what I have (black and white, double sided, poly plastic) is not light proof. I went in a room today with the lights off and first I saw any little pinhole size gap at the edges and such. Then after a minute when my eyes started adjusting, I could see horizontal lines of glowing lighter areas, as well as a general dim glow on the whole window/filmed area, from the daylight outdoors. And it was not a sunny day either.

Not to mention, the duct connection for the window kit, which I “modified” (not the connection, but mounted it to rigid insulation) has…pretty generous gaps where the duct connects to the hole in the kit/window adapter. Light leaks, but also co2 will leak pretty easily.

So, I’m gonna probably use some temporary/removable sealant. Also curious if anyone’s used “duct seal” before. I think it’s probably more permanent - gonna learn about that tomorrow.

Got a link for that stuff?

1 Like

Its only an issue if your tweekin.

1 Like

I suppose that’s true. :joy:

1 Like

Not that I’m tweeking!

Just realized how that could be misinterpreted.
:rofl:

1 Like

Spray paint

However you decide to blackout your window make sure it jives with the rest of your windows. Curtains look natural and black plastic doesn’t. Regardless If you live in a legal state or not you don’t want to arouse suspicion or let it it be known where and if you have a grow.
Don’t ask me how I know! :flushed:

7 Likes

When I worked night crew I just cut a piece of drywall to fit and then taped it around the edges. Easily removable in an emergency.

1 Like

I got a a couple rolls of blackout film from a local auction and it works great. The exact item is available on amazon. It has a slight design to it but there are others that have no design.

1 Like

@Nitt here you go .
AC Infinity Window Duct Kit, Universal Vent Port for 4” and 6” Inline Fans, Window Vent Kit Fit with HVAC Ducting, Hoses, Duct Fans, Air Conditioner, and Dryer in Homes, Grow Tents, and Grow Rooms

1 Like