How to germ seeds as per Simon

How to germ.pdf (1.9 MB)

14 Likes

@Claude, excellent presentation. I haven’t seen the hang vertically trick before! Great job on the graphics.

Thanx & Cheers
G

1 Like

All graphics are made by Simon !

5 Likes

I’m gonna give steps 9-14 a go next germination never tried the method
Step 9 now seems like a no brainier and I’m really disappointed I never thought about it lol

Thanks for the info

1 Like

Simon is endlessly talented (and a nice guy!).

For those who don’t want to download a PDF, I’ve created image files:

14 Likes

Gee here I thought everybody did it this way, been doing it for over 40 years this way

3 Likes

Did they have zip lock bags 40 years ago? :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

No sandwich bags work just as good

3 Likes

Well this is a good question!

As per Google:
Ziploc is a brand of reusable, re-sealable zipper storage bags and containers originally developed and test marketed by The Dow Chemical Company in 1968 and now produced by S. C. Johnson & Son. The plastic bags and containers come in different sizes for use with different products.

6 Likes

index

3 Likes

My buddy does it like you. Works great but too much work for me. I find it much easier to soak seeds in water until they crack, then place seeds into a rapid rooter, root tip down. The rapid rooter is in a 3”x 3” starter with Roots Original. Rapid rooter is a buffer so no nutrien burn. Starter pots under a dome lid keeps humidity near 100%. Always near 100% germ rate in about a week.

1 Like

Float the seeds on water till they crack me likes

1 Like

I prefer to use coffee filter paper because most roots won’t penetrate it.

3 Likes

Thanks I have been killing beans for awhile :frowning:

tried the hanging method and we got seedlings :slight_smile:

thanks for the post

all the best and be safe

Dequilo

2 Likes

A cautionary tale on the plastic bag routine. As well as affirming the documented procedure above. It’s important to check daily. These seeds were put into the bags like above cuz I’ve always done it like that… Only i didn’t put it vertically and laid them down. I checked day 2 and had barely any tails so i left them for two days. Next time i checked them it was crazy. Such a tangled mess of roots and a good bunch of them even shed the shell and were ready to grow. Burying these auto seeds in my 50mm peat starter plugs was a labor of love/annoyance trying to not rip the root structure as well as placing all of the roots in suitable position… Took forever for 40 seeds but only lost 3 and it’s been a week. While I’m pretty stoked my plants mostly made it the method above will help you avoid my struggles. I highly recommend it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The lessons I remember longest are the ones that left scars… :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

3 Likes