How to identify AI and bots in order to protect OG

Our good friend @Magu posed this question on another thread and it seems worthy of discussion to raise awareness and protect the OG community.

Let’s start with what a bot may act like with a personal example. Specially me.

While I’m not a bot my interactions on this site seems to raise concerns. I have inferred the following attributes of my behavior that makes me look like a bot. I will expand this list based on feedback and jokes in the thread.

1. Frequency of posts
  2. Length of posts
  3. Content of posts
  4. Being too nice and accepting - even posting kind words and liking critical or accusatory comments

While I am a false positive in this regard, the criteria do make sense to me. I don’t intend to change any of these behaviors.

So… what do real bots act like? I’ve linked a few articles below.

https://datadome.co/guides/bot-protection/bot-detection-how-to-identify-bot-traffic-to-your-website/

Please note that I expect Bert related bot comments and jokes on this thread. I love the jokes but dislike the serious accusations.

@DougDawson - please post your Bert Bot graphic. It’s one of my favorites!

26 Likes

Have at it!

5 Likes

Isn’t that exactly what an AI bot would say if it didn’t want to be identified?

31 Likes

I love it! The useful paranoia is strong with this one!

To answer your question directly - I have absolutely no idea what a bot would say. That is the entire point of this thread.

8 Likes

proves he’s not a bot by accidentally acting like a bot

J/k you’re cool in my book @Bert lol

10 Likes

“I need your clothes, your boots, and directions to Sesame Street”

A bot programmed to confuse a bunch of stoners sounds to me like a solution without a problem.

13 Likes

What exactly would be the problem with bots after all?

If they contribute like any human, don’t flood conversations, have well reasoned arguments and articles backing their claims?

Anyone could be running scripts to mine data already. A real human could do nefarious things, phish for names and addresses, etc…

The only downside is a bot cannot trade seeds and contribute material things. And that’s the real turing test I’d say.

15 Likes

What an interesting viewpoint. I never considered that perspective.

4 Likes

Dear @Bert . Please answer the following questions.

1. Do you ever sleep?
  2. Where do you find all those funny cartoons?
  3. What is 567.43 divided by Pi ?
  4. Are you now or have you ever been emotionaly involved with amazon’s Alexa or apple’s Siri ?
  5. If a wet mat falls in a bathroom and there is no @Foreigner there to hear it, does it make a noise?
  6. Where do you find all those funny cartoons?
17 Likes

Hey Magu!

I sleep sporadically. I have major sleep apnea.

I go to Facebook for comedy. My algorithm only gives humor and scantily clad women with the occasional beautiful landscape. I often download a bunch at once so I can post them quickly.

Excel says 180.61

It makes a noise, though we should avoid the semantic discussion

Don’t use or them. They are a special form of a bot

Facebook

3 Likes

Hmmmmm…… Perfect. …. Maybe too perfect. Actually, I have absolutely no idea what the answer to the math problem is so I will just take your word for it. As long as you dont take over the world and hook me up to the “Matrix” I can live with you. Peace brother. :grin: :rainbow:

7 Likes

Seems relevant. Or…

10 Likes

BTW @JustANobody - if you are genuinely serious in your concerns I suggest a human verification phone call. That’s what I did last time.

3 Likes

Just send a Pic of your plants with a piece of paper that reads Bert is not a bot

3 Likes

I don’t take or post plant pictures. I’ve had a few minor legal issues in the past.

Here’s the written statement though…

13 Likes

I’ve got to work now. I should free up in 3 to 4 hours. Please post your challenges to my humanity and I’ll respond to them later today.

BTW - let’s consider holding a verification call. Choose someone everyone trusts and I’ll DM them my phone number.

6 Likes

I almost didn’t tag you in Rains thread because I know you were really upset by the actual accusations of being a bot.
I’m really glad you like to joke about it!

It’s such an absurd situation for you. To PROVE who you are in a forum where many, many people preserve their anonymity for legal reasons.

I couldn’t believe you called someone to clear your name. Id rather be a bot then call someone on the phone.

14 Likes

Wait a minute!!???…. Is that Ernie’s thumb in that picture? :rofl:

7 Likes

@Bert Bert your genuinely awesome. Sorry for your trouble before. He’s not a bot people! :rofl: wow

10 Likes

I feel I’m witnessing the rise of the Decepticons in real time.

6 Likes