How to know if my seeds are Auto-flowers or Photoperiods

I have a bunch of seeds that were given to me. Ive germinated some and there now started. However, I’m wondering if there’s away to know EARLY what the plants are in regards to the light/time period of a plant. I would REALLY appreciate any help guys.

4 Likes

nope, if they flower under longer light cycles then they are autos, if they need a reduced light time to flower then are photos.

Also yeah sure maybe genetics tests and genome sequencing, but could just wait 3+ weeks

5 Likes

Thxs for the info @Mr.Sparkle Im thinking that’s what I’m gonna end up doing.

1 Like

Treat them like any plant, and just have a plan in place as to when to flower them and move forward as such… also will say unless the person who gave them to you said specifically they were autos, the likelihood of them being autos is probably quite low, like really low.

6 Likes

I was going to say the same, most who run autos will let you know if they are autos. The vast majority of seeds are photoperiod.

6 Likes

If they are autos they will show sex much faster than photo period plants under 18 to 24hrs light

2 Likes

Also wanted to mention that you can keep the pot size small, use 18/6 for lighting, and see if they are autos. This will allow then to flower sooner. Don’t expect much for yield. Larger pot size will take a little longer for autos to start flowering.

1 Like

How do I tell of my plant is a photo or auto??? :eyes:

An auto will start flowering after a few weeks time. It is not light dependent.

A photo period plant relies on a change in light availability before it will start it’s flowering cycle.

4 Likes

Also, most seeds are photoperiod. It’s pretty unlikely you would be gifted (or find in a bag) an autoflowering seed without being told.

2 Likes