How to make Compost for cannabis

It will root by itself. If i leave them on the ground they root voluntarily. If you take the cut end and stick it in a bucket of sandy loam it will root pretty fast also. (i have never used rooting hormone for cactus) Good luck! :grin:

She wonā€™t go.

Iā€™ll keep it there until it rots.

You want it a little warm also. If it is outside in the winter it might root too slow and die.

1 Like

Great, as soon as I wash the meat wagon tracks off my back Iā€™ll bring it inside, lol.

99%

2 Likes

Well spring is right around the corner so I decided to get my pile up and cooking, started a little more than a week ago. This years compost is going to be super charged with extra goodies added to the mix . I just got done turning it twice now and sandwich layered : kelp, crab, neem, alfalfa ,and azomite canā€™t wait to see what this wonderful mix is going to bring to the plants!
Oops forgot to mention Bokashi bran inoculated with EM1!

See my posts 13/14 of this thread on how I go about doing it all.

7 Likes

compost update
Colorado in my area just received about 5-6 inches of snow itā€™s currently 28 degrees out side and the pile is cooking at about 140. Keeping the violume at 3 cubic feet or more

critical in keeping temps high !

3 Likes

cacti are easy. thatā€™s called a ā€˜nopaleā€™ or ā€˜nopalā€™ in spanish i think.
let a picked leaf form a ā€œcallousā€ or scar tissue where itā€™s broken off, by just air drying, like in a shed.
takes maybe a month?
place the stem/butt/bottom end in some well-draining (ā€¦uhhā€¦like in the desertā€¦) soil.
low/no nutrients too.
NO WATER for the FIRST MONTH
maybe keep out of blistering sun too?

remember these mfā€™ers root themselves naturally when animals or weather or gravity take them off, over time spreading outwards. i love it when plants invade. especially a certain weed.

:wink:
cannabis.sequoia

2 Likes

Success!

I wish I lived in a climate that allowed cannabis to run free.

3 Likes

hereā€™s my experience(failure teaches too):

critical mass for thermophilic compost is about a cubic yard, meter. tiny piles simply canā€™t hold heat.
for what its worth, the pallets are great, need wire for rodent/pest issues, can dry out in hot arid summer. i use a 3-sided bin, 4ā€™h x 4ā€™w, made from OSB/plywood, with 1" air holes drilled randomly.
it will hold 2 yards max., and holds heat/moisture better for me.

shit (manure). itā€™s one of the few things that are still free for the taking, and happens to be fā€™n great for soil. i take loads of horse stable wood chip bedding & manure, use it for maybe 1/2 my compost or as a groundcover/mulch. by the time i get it thereā€™s no foul odor, just spring rain, actinomycetes & mycofriends. and i have chickens. the bacteria alone is worth it.

green:brown:dirt ratio/layers thereā€™s 8 billion human assholes roughly, & a few more opinions, & the same goes for compost. ideally i use a 4" brown layer, 6" green layer, 1-2" shit/foodwaster layer, 1/2-1" real dirt. repeat layers until youā€™re high. :expressionless:

AIR poke big vent holes all through the SoB. weā€™re breeding microbes here. turn it every 2-4 days, 5-7 times total, minimum. let it sit & cool down for 3-4 months. ideally let it sit for 1-3 years, the older the better. seriously. the young compost makes fine amendment but rough potting mix. the aged stuff is like wine & just crack candy for worms. my worm casts came out hot & burned my plants the first few times. :slight_smile:

bokashi is the small scale apartment dweller & cool climate option, neither are for me in my situation, but iā€™m trying a lactobacillus ferment recipe from bokashicomposting.com

actively aerated compost awww yyeeah baby. i have seen a low cost co-op set-up utilizing an electric leaf-blower on a cycle-timer, blowing through 4" perforated drain pipe(styrene), and this in a big bin for a school in new york. instead of the powered version iā€™d like to use a diy windmill and turn the blower shaft directly. a leaf blower is excessive airflow but very cheap & effective.

passive air-flow is something like 1-2% of the capacity of these things.

vertical stack digesters have been used, economizing on heat movement, etc.

iā€™ve reread Rodaleā€™s ā€œComplete Book of Compostingā€ many times. wanna read about dutch garbage trains? the first discoveries of beneficial fungi & whatnot? :wink:

terra prieta/bio-char itā€™s a hole that had a fire and garbage in it millenia ago. and itā€™s good. charcoal is massive carbony surface area, providing shelter to f*ckloads of microbes.
so throw some decent clean charcoal in when you can. orchid growers use it as a buffer in their medium.

crazy side note: i think my first surprisingly healthy weed was in an orchid mix. and recently i disovered orchid bark really helps my soil mix because my vermicompost has a pH of 8.5.
(orchid mix being a happy 5ish pH.)

things to not do, ever ANIMAL brains. yep. apparently ā€˜prionsā€™ evil protein chunks causing mad-cow-disease and irresponsible voting. can not be composted out.

iā€™ve been stacking these layers of shit here & now iā€™m high so until next time, happy dirt making

3 Likes

You mean, big is good!

Meet my compost pile!

3 Likes

youā€™d be surprised at what else is apparently allowed to roam free here, so the ā€˜grass is always greenerā€™ on the other side, right? :wink: tempted to make a joke at the expense of our southern neighborā€™s refugees, but alas, my ancestry fled the home of the vikings with good reason apparently.

that first taste of 115F & 7% humidity with 5x ground-level ozone & power-rationing might calm your winter blues. ā€˜the city of treesā€™ is actually fed by un-repaired water-mains, not our two beloved polluted rivers.

whew.

heheh

1 Like

"egggggxcellent, smithersā€¦ "

i like the intimidation value of the castle-like structure. imposing. like a crusaderā€™s paranoid composter with arrow-turrets

2 Likes

We are all immigrants on a planet we do not own.

I love where I live. The weather is what it is. Each season brings change and completes the cycle.

1 Like

Release the oil, lol., their ramming the compost, lol.

99%

:poop:

1 Like

fair enough, but some of us need more elbow-room than others & all that. youā€™re right. :wink:

I like compost talk, its slightly elevated from bathroom talk.

99%

oh man. donā€™t get me startedā€¦ i have a tail-bone injury that is the basis of my medical cannabis use. good advice: donā€™t get drunk at the company party & bring champagne flutes out to the homeless outside, because youā€™ll just get drunker & fall on your ass & end up with life-long nerve damage. not kidding.

felt like Che Guevara then, not now.

1 Like

apparently Growmau5 had a fall off a ladder that makes us 2 that i know of :wink:

I used to be in construction.

You really arenā€™t a roofer until you taken a fall!

if i listed my medical issues itā€™s like a royal title with honorsā€¦ibs,ptsd,etc.wtf.

i grew up around it(my dad was GC & union big-shop plumber)ā€¦glad i know it, but i avoided it as a career. somewhere after my visit on top deck of 36fl hi-rise with a bare wire, i became very afraid of heightsā€¦ but was a fearless tree-monkey kid. sucks. even watching video of a repairman on a 1100ā€™ tower antenna makes me panic bad enough to not continue. thanks dad! :wink: lol

glad we could joke. i gotta forage.

ttyl