How would you "preserve" feminized seeds

Say you have a 6 pack of feminized seeds that you’d like to preserve/multiply for future runs. How would you do it? Pheno hunt the 6-pack and pick the two best cuts, reverse one and cross to the other? Just pick the best cut and self it onto itself? Pick the best cut, reverse and pollinate all 5 of the rest? Reverse 2 or 3 of them at random and do an “open pollination”?

10 Likes

Depends just how much time you want to spend on it, and how much space… and whether they’re autos or photos. If they’re photos, you can use clones to do an open pollination by all 6, of all 6. In theory, you could actually do the same with autos, but getting the timing down on it would be tougher.

7 Likes
  1. Back cross and hunt
  2. Mate with something completely different so you can tell which way the genetics lean.
    Just suggestions from a nobody :facepunch:

I mean to make regular seeds not more feminized. Not sure which your asking for. I like going to a reg state to preserve.

5 Likes

It depends on what you want out of your preservation.

Do you want a set of seeds capable of expressing each of the most desirable phenotypes you select, or are you looking to create an inbred line with a high frequency of traits resembling the most desirable phenotype?

Assuming they’re photos, I would run them, holding cuts, for selection, then do a subsequent seed run with the selected cuts.

If you want a batch of seeds containing multiple desirable phenotypes, do an open pollination with at least one female and one reversed plant of each phenotype.

If you want to nail down a desirable phenotype, you can self it or outcross it, then continue to backcross it with the plant. (Take the S1 and cross it with the selected original, or the outcrossed F1 and cross it with the selected original)

If you want to just do this once I would lean towards an open pollination. If you want to create a special parent strain perfect for making new F1s I would lean towards the selfed/backcrossed IBL.

11 Likes

i would get 4 cuts off each plant, cuts take no space. i would put 5 in flower and i would start spray on the last one after i vegged it and kept her going, top her than i would start ,y spray with sts right when my first 5 were about ready to come down,
i would spray a few more times and i would flower half my cuts, as you keep spraying the one until you see pollen and i would run my fan and turn off my filter, close the tent and wait the course.
harvest my seed clean my tent and flower my left overs.
i got me my smoke cause youll need it after all the shucking youll be doing, and youll have some after too

4 Likes

I would reverse the one and pollinate the rest. After that you have a ton of seeds and you can start pheno hunting/breeding.

11 Likes

Exactly what I was gonna say. Nicely put.

5 Likes

Depends on how much you want to keep that cut true vs greater than itself. Doug has the fastest means/what most would do. Personally if a fem seed was so killer that I wanted to keep it I’d reveg it and get clones and then do a backcross to stabilize it a bit and make F2’s of the cut I was after that I would then work and keep selecting the prodigy that expressed the most desired traits. Never have I ever had a fem that was worth selfing let alone reveg tho, I get bored quickly with the same flavor all the time tho so my opinion should mean very little in the overall view.

1 Like

I would try to reverse a top branch and then have it pollinate the rest of the plant. So you should have as close to the original strain without having to do further work unless the offspring have greater variability than you want. In that case you have five more seeds to play with. Not that I am qualified to say though.

2 Likes

for you or the world? for your personal stash why not s1 your pick of the 6 and call it a day. for the world? run all 6 after taking clones, and then op anything that is healthy.

4 Likes

I concur with the other who have said

If your goal is preservation of the gene pool, use as much of the gene pool as you can and reverse all 6 to pollinate all 6 (assuming all are healthy)

Edit: that would also unlock the greatest number of combinations of genes in one generation vs reversing one or two to pollinate the rest.

3 Likes

Put them in the fridge.