Hurricane Milton

Hope all my people here in Florida are going to be safe. As we see, it is coming for those of us who are around the west central area. Hope we all come outta this safe. We just have to remember that things can be replaced but people can’t. Maybe after all this, us Floridians can trade some cuts to keep the gardens going.
Stay safe and Florida strong.

70 Likes

My prayers are with you guys.

15 Likes

Thank you. We need it for this bastard named Milton. :pray:

10 Likes

10 Likes

You guys certainly do! I have family in the Tampa/Clearwater area and they’re shitting bricks right now. We’re here for you guys if you need us

9 Likes

Im afraid this is gonna be ugly. Stay safe.

7 Likes

Stay safe and strong Floridanians!

2 Likes

Stay safe out there y’all!

2 Likes

We are pretty close to that area and we are doing the same.

2 Likes

Hope it hits south of the Bay and keeps dying down like it is. A 3 is a lot different than a 4 or 5. Hopefully everyone has planned accordingly and is inland if they’re not sure their house is safe. Don’t make more work for emergency responders and all of them. Part of living along the coast in Florida. Always shocking how unprepared people are for something they have a week to prepare for. That area is extremely ill suited for a storm. Decades and decades of poor/no planning in regards to development. You have your one trauma center and biggest hospital built on an island surrounded by water and so on, but developers need free rein and regulations are pointless. Haha. Fingers crossed everyone and their animals get themselves safe and this thing keeps dying down while heading south.

15 Likes

My thoughts are very much with everyone impacted down there!

5 Likes

Yes !
All of that brother.

5 Likes

it’s actually close, if not worse than a simulation run of the worst possible hurricane

3 Likes

I’m watching the news now and the Tampa mayor is saying get out of dodge. It’s like you said things are replaceable, but people aren’t! Please do what you have to, to stay safe!

5 Likes

I am expecting to either have the eye of the storm go over me or it will be a very close miss.

12 Likes

I usually don’t “like” comments that have sad or bad news. Just mostly wanted to show support.

Started prepping and such yesterday, should hopefully be able to finish up by today and can then better relax. Been thinking about you and other members who may be doing similarly. Hoping the wind shear and cold front knock those winds down significantly before any chance of landfall.

After my concern for human life, animals and houses and such, my biggest concern really is my seed collection going without power for an extended period of time. Each day the seeds are out of the fridge adds to my anxiety. Trying to decide when to take them out as well adds to the anxiety. I’m pretty go with the flow and while I would prefer to have hot showers and lights and such, I can get by without that type of comfort for a short while but the anxiety of the seed collection going out of the fridge into a space that isn’t air conditioned and then back in the fridge again a week or so later isn’t something I want to experience again. I worry about how much viability is reduced, especially as it relates to the older stuff with already declining viability.

Of course safety of humans and houses first, but my first material item is pictures family photo albums then my seeds.

On the bright side, the smell of the ocean when the rain bands are passing by is one of my favorite things. I relate it to one of the more rare forms of thalassotherapy. The surf as Milton exits the state on the Atlantic side could be pretty great for little bit as well. Hope everyone fares better than well! Many blessings and much love

13 Likes

Get a little generator and small fridge or freezer if you’re doing long term storage. Could also rig up a car battery to power something temporarily. Might need
multiple batteries though for that. Seeds are just seeds anyways. Most will never get to a large majority of the ones in their collections and there will always be more seeds they want.

5 Likes

I hear you on the seeds. I know it sounds crazy but I too think about my (very small) seed collection. I have 2 DJ Short Blueberry and 1 Sugar Belts about 33 days into flower.
I have a handful Dj short and Dutch Passion blueberry clones I will try and save. They will go into the window for a while. Hope all our gardens and seeds make it through this.

11 Likes

I’m not going to deal with what you all will from this, but I’m stoked it timed out where I have no plants going or drying right now. After the actual concerns of safety of life of people and animals, safety of homes, and so on, I sure hope all of you with plants going in that area don’t lose power for extended periods of time. I hate when that happens. Super buzzkill. But, if you and everyone you know make it through the storm fine and the worst thing is losing some plants, I’d say that’s a win. Haha.

8 Likes

Stay safe buddy.

4 Likes