I believe we have been using the term ‘phenotype’ wrong for decades

Cannabis is a fascinating plant that produces fiber, edible seed, oil and numerous cannabinoids such as THC, CBD, CBN.

It is also unique in that no other plants that we know of have the capacity to produce cannabinoids; the genes that encode the enzymes required to produce cannabinoids are unique to the cannabis genome.

The main difference between the potency and medical benefits of the cannabinoids found in marijuana can be attributed to a single enzyme, or a genetically encoded switch, at the last step in the cannabinoid pathway.

This “switch,” which is called the THCA synthase and CBDA synthase enzyme, fold precursor molecules (Cannabigerolic acid) into either THCA or CBDA.

Plants that produce high levels of THC express genes that code for hyper active versions of the enzyme THCA synthase, whereas those plants that code for the enzyme CBDA synthase produce more CBD.

The sequencing readout below indicates that there are numerous SNPs in the THCA synthase gene, which would be one key driver behind the genetic differences of the cannabis plants.

4 Likes

Hell Yea! Great book and even better when you set down and ask yourself what is your goal. Look how long ago it came out and still relevant!

1 Like

Tom thanks for the info! Morning read with some coffee.

1 Like

Certainly a timeless classic. Taking away lots of great understanding in the pages. Ah yes, the pollination bag, where they go into some detail about putting a window for you to see in… haha.

After only a quick glance through some of the gold you had linked us up to with the ebook. I may just confuse anyone I’m talking to going forward and coined the term ‘ideo hunt’ kinda like how it rolls off the tongue. :laughing:

We are all just searching for that ideotype. (the ideal plant). Found this tidbit not more than a page or two in. Lots of gold to find in this read I can tell.

3 Likes

1 Like

The uncontrolled shuffle aka re arrangement of everything that takes place is why we will probably never have cannabis plants like corn or squash where thousands of seeds grow identical. Genetic editing will result in uniform crops that become the main stay of commercial growing just like in standard agriculture.
This is nature’s way of maintaining control, long term inbreeding always results in lower and lower fertility with a increase in mutations and undesired traits, outcrossing opens you up to the random shuffle making it harder to keep things as they are.
This is why when breeders find a good male and female in regards to there offspring they often keep those original plants and use them to make the cross over and over vs trying to breed generation after generation with out screwing something up.

3 Likes

Sadly I did not clarify, but I was referring more specifically to the description of hay :sweat_smile:

1 Like

hay o ahi? ay ay ay!!!

1 Like

16 years of selecting for the same traits at f12 and flowers still have wide variety and I have never seen the same exact flowers twice.
Close for sure but I don’t think cannabis settles down like roses.

5 Likes

While I agree you can reach a homozygous state through heterozygous plants as the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium shows but as a general statement heterozygous plants are generally more variable when crossed which is clearly evident looking at tomato breeding where we have many homozygous true breeding parent stock available. Cross two distinct lines and make an F2 generation and that’s clear. Being dioecious mean cannabis breeding is more complex as far as stabalizing the genetics but the current modern genepool is commonly described in scientific literature as being in an unstable, heterozygous state (often noted a fairly narrow) due to prohibition and the limits it imposed on pot breeding.

3 Likes

Yeah, we need to use the word offspring in there and then it all makes sense. The offspring of heterozygous parents will be highly variable. I’d say that’s an absolute.

4 Likes

I use the term lines myself.

1 Like

It’s definitely poorly written but I wouldn’t go as far as saying the author was wrong, just a really poor explanation of the topic that creates more confusion then it resolves.

Yeah I’m not so sure haha. But to say a true F1 population is homozygous and go on to infer that a heterozygous population is necessarily variable in the same paragraph had me sighing and shaking my head over here. You’d think they’d have somebody read that crap before throwing it out there.

6 Likes

No argument there, especially as they published this when they first started and you’d assume they would try hard to be professional and not use the wrong terms or fail to spell check

1 Like

I don’t know if this is what they mean, here I leave it in case it serves as an example.
kali mist, same cut different environment. pic 1-2 it is as if something wild awoke in her, she even takes another week of flowering.
pic 3-4 is green more elegant and faster.
Pic 5, elegant, faster, and color

13 Likes

I was thinking about doing a project like that in the future. It would be interesting to see how the terroir here would affect cannabis growth. Between the 11+ UV index and the amount of magnesium in the ground/water, I bet plants would get huge. Everything else here seems to. Many of the oak trees here have leaves a foot long and nearly a foot across. Our zucchinis also got massive, as did our pepper plants (our Poblano got 5ft x 5ft in the raised bed). Plus, the largest deer I ever shot, by far, was shot mere meters from where I type this. Whitetails here in the South average 100-150 lbs. This one was well over 200. We joke that there’s something in water, but that might have some merit.
I’ll find out how the local soil affects cannabis probably by next summer, once it’s legal or at least decriminalized (my wife would castrate me if she ever caught me growing weed).
It won’t be long until the Deep South and Gulf Coast begin to rival California in cannabis production.

4 Likes

The term “phenotype” is not specific to cannabis horticulture. I recently read an article about some 30,000 or so year-old narrow leaf campion seeds found in permafrost, that scientists germinated.
I know this is kind of a stupid question, but does “phenotype” refer to characteristics of the plant or is a phenotype the plant itself?

1 Like

I agree. To me, hay is a well dried food stock that would be ruined by mold or mildew. It smells sweet and delicious, almost like maple syrup. Not old stale hay that had too much moisture content and smells like tobacco, but also not like hay that was dried too quick and has a high chlorophyll content which smells and tastes green and minty like fresh grass. I believe that someone who actually works with hay would have a much better sense of how hay smells… similarly to how Inuit natives have descriptions for eleven distinct types of snow:
familiarity breeds a greater degree of discernment.

2 Likes

Saving this…. Spot on IMO……nothing can make ya laugh like the truth…

1 Like