I dont like to smoke - what do you recommend?

I smoked cigs for 20 years and finally kicked that habit about 20 years ago. My lungs just cant handle the smoke.

About 5 years ago I started using pot regularly for pain (arthritis, bad back, bad knees, etc) and difficulty sleeping. I tried vaping with a cheap vape and I tried a home make water bong, but didnt like those options.

Ive tried making oil from dispensary bought buds, and using that to make brownies, but after a few months of that, the taste makes me gag. They do work well though.

This last round I tried making some tincture using glycerin. That is somewhat better tasting when put in strong tea or coffee, but the batch I made is not as potent as my brownies and I still dont like the taste - at all.

Im several weeks from harvesting my first grow (Northern Lights and CBD Critical from Nirvana) and about out of the glycerin tincture. Im going to need to buy some more bud and try something different pretty soon.

Im thinking of making some Green Dragon tincture this time - mostly because it looks easy and fast. The plan is to use the highest proof vodka I can find. I dont have a good source for EverClear.

I want to get your guys thoughts on what works for a non-smoker who is a finicky whimp about strong gunky flavors and harsh smoke :slight_smile:

I want to make something that isnt wasteful of the weed too - in other words, I want to get the max number of doses from a given amount of buds.

Any tips very much appreciated!.

Oh - not interested in trying anything toooo dangerous or that uses toxic ingredients.

6 Likes

Put rso in caps won’t have to taste anything

3 Likes

RSO? Im a newbie and have no clue :slight_smile:

Never mind - Google found it…reading now…

1 Like

Rick Simpson oil but I suggest using ethanol (everclear) not denatured alcohol

3 Likes

I am really liking the idea of using the capsules. Probably a pain to fill them, but bypassing the taste would be worth it.

It sounds like the RSO process extracts more of the good stuff from the plants - more than making butter or cooking oil for brownies using ground up buds?

3 Likes

Ya, RSO will extract almost everything. Makes it easy to measure doses and you can use it to make anything.

3 Likes

Edibles made with hash, or some form of dabs will help, it’s usually the chlorophyll that causes people to cringe. (What other leafy green vegetables would you be putting in brownies anyway? Some kale and collard green brownies sound exactly as appetizing as the average pot brownies. Lmao)

If you like the flavor of the weed but not the nasty green taste, get kief or hash because it (should) still have terpenes. If you want to make an edible with no alteration in the flavor, go with a shatter or distillate preferably, because they’re usually devoid of much terpenes.

As a bonus, the first time you make butter with hash or dabs and not have to strain it, you will never want to make butter the regular way again.

Most ways of making hash/dab doesn’t involve heat. You need heat for oral bc it changes thca to thc.

1 Like

Oooh. Damn good point!

1 Like

You can do rosin but I don’t feel like you don’t get a good return compared to quick wash ethanol. I like to you a 2.5 pvc pipe fill with trim and has cap n 1/2 valve at the base with a screen b4 the cap. Fill with frozen everclear or 96% distilled spirits. Then pull the valve and pour a lit more in while it’s draining.

you can also make a really strong coconut oil and put it in capsules.

1 Like

Have you tried vaporizing?

Very easy on the lungs, very efficient.

Great taste, less filling.

99%

1 Like

A quick and easy way to make caps.
Kief (dry sift) your buds. Collect Kief in glass jar, cover, decarboxylate( Google decarbing kief), stuff desired amount in capsule, i usually do a gram but youll want to start low i promise, and eat. It’s not as good as rso but it’s quick and its easy

3 Likes

I second the motion for Volcano vaporizer or another high quality one. I also hate smoking and I’ve been using the Volcano for 10+ years now. Edibles and tinctures are great too but for me the medical relief is better with inhaled.

Also, I found that using real grain alcohol works better than lower proofs for tincture. It’s not cheap but you can order organic grain alcohol from this guy in Maine and he ships because he got the product classified as a culinary supplement:

America’s leading distiller of premium food grade ethanol.

3 Likes

I use Green Dragon tincture almost daily. I plan to make an instructional thread here soon. I made an sublingual spray with Green Dragon and glycerine. This is pretty effective, and with some peppermint extract it is tasty.

The caps are also a great suggestion. BrassNWood on Grass City makes some killer dry ice caps, they may work well for you.

The desktop vaporizer is a good choice if you want a quick reaction like smoking.

3 Likes

Wow! Lots to process…Im gonna have more questions soon as I finish Googling all the new terms I dont know…

Thanks all!!

1 Like

supositories work awsome

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been reading like crazy and its all still mostly a jumble in my mind at the moment, but I have decided to try the RSO thing using 2 oz of bud from a local dispensary. I found some EverClear locally that wont break the the bank for this test, so thats a start.

A couple of questions. With this stuff being so potent, I am concerned about accurate dosing of such small amounts.

What do you guys think about diluting the final product with something like Coconut Oil before placing it in capsules? It would be much easier to make consistent, uniformly sized doses if I have larger quantities to put in the capsules than the 1/3 or a grain of rice I have seen recommended for a dose. I just cant see me getting exactly 1/3 of a tiny drop of this stuff into the capsules with any consistency.

Next question is, will regular empty pill capsules you get at the vitamin store work, or do I need some special type to prevent the capsules from melting or dissolving too soon?

I would like to try a quality vape machine, but they are out of my budget range. The cheapo one I tried didnt really vaporize with any temp control. It was on (red hot burner) or off and the “vapor” was as scalding as regular smoke.

1 Like

Another thing Im not clear on with the RSO process - decarboxylation. Do I need to decarb the buds before processing with the EverClear or is that done when boiling off the alcohol? Will decarboxylation work at 200 deg or so you get from a double boiler?

I dont have a rice cooker that most recommend, so I was planning to use a double boiler to get rid of most of the booze, and then a heating plate on low to finish it off.

Thanks again!!

If it is combined with the coconut oil, this should actually increase its bio-availability (check out soy lecithin powder) this stuff is great at getting oil to mix with non-oils (edible emulsifier).

Should be fine!

I don’t know much about RSO, never made it. 1 small drop under the tongue is all you would ever need, from what I hear.

There are RSO recipes here, be sure to read up on them.

Good luck!

1 Like