I have never used a pesticide

The pests show up. Then a week later the predators show up. This stick mantis has been living in my entryway lamp the past week

How many growers have never went long enough without bug spray to see their pests eradicated naturally? I don’t think predators like the bug spray.

I brought him a crushed leaf hopper and he stares at me like I’m some kind of asshole

Lacewings also show up but usually die and leave wings all over so they’re practically a pest

9 Likes

Fascinating. Any pics of your grow, with predators?

2 Likes

Mantis are so cool. I tried to keep one in my tent for a while but he freaked me out every time I opened it.
He was always hanging out on the inside of the zipper.
So I’ve graduated to lizards :wink: Lenny and Squiggy are my buddies

4 Likes

I love mantis! I try to keep some every year to breed them. They all have unique little personalities, so interactive. That’s a idea keeping one in the tent, I’m going to try that this grow

2 Likes

Bugs can be very perceptive.

1 Like

I’ve got an entire civilization of rolly pollies going on in my pots, they help keep other insects under control and fertilize with their excrement along with aerating through tunneling.
And they help break down the kitchenscraps.
In the last 10 months I’ve only had one roam around the room on one occasion.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Only pests I’ve ever had to deal with were thrips and nematodes were most effective eradication. I also tried I think some organic natural mix that was real popular a couple years ago can’t remember the name, mostly essential oils with some alcohol i think it was

2 Likes

It’s coincidence you say that, a few weeks ago my buddy have me a stick with a mantis sac on it. Didn’t think much of it honestly, but today I’m out in the garden and I’m seeing little baby mantis everywhere. I decided to catch a few for my raised bed and even managed to get one for one of my tents inside. I fear the jumping spider that already inhabits the tent may get him tho.

2 Likes

Jumping spiders are the coolest. We have bold jumping spiders all over the place, and have had a couple as pets. Super interesting little creatures. :+1:

4 Likes

It’s very easy to hatch mantid egg cases.

2 Likes

Did someone request pics?

2 Likes

Never. When I find the Borg, total eradication is the preference. I’ll keep clones and spray them fwiw