I think cal/mag def

Hey everyone, I think this is a calmag Def but would like a 2nd opinion please…

They are on week 4.5 of 1212, 9.5 weeks total.

EC 1.6 advanced nutes Sensi series + budcandy and big bud

Temps 18-24
Humidty 40-50

Blueberry OG and PK in DWC buckets

The rust spots are worse on the larger fan leaves sitting just below the scrognet but are now working their way up the plant

New growth looks good so I don’t think it’s nute burn.

I was adding calmag during veg but stopped at flowering…a buddy had said they shouldn’t need it any more, but now I’m thinking I should start adding it again. But if it is nute burn then I really don’t want to be adding more calmag.

Any help is really appreciated!!

7 Likes

Calmag is actually 2 separate things in one package. Calcium and Magnesium. Check out these charts bud.

8 Likes

Those are great thank you.

I guess it seems like Cal. Pumping the buckets and am going to add calmag to fresh res water.

Hopefully it stops advancing!

3 Likes

Check your pH and also reconfigure your meters. Most issues like this comes from the pH being out. If an element is locked out it will also stop the uptake of other elements. :v:

6 Likes

I haven’t had to adjust PH since I started using advanced nutrients a cpl grows ago.

But I will have a look it can’t hurt. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

I also grow with AN nutrients and never use the pH pen (check my plants below), you will be chasing shadows if you do.
My guess is Calcium deficiency, my second guess was nutrient burn for those crispy leaves … beer3|nullxnull

IMG_20220109_133720331

6 Likes

I get tired of PH being everyone first answer.

4 Likes

In soil those burnt crispy leaves could be to excessive over watering with high cal. Those babies will suck up water until cells rupture and then get dry and brittle and die with high cal or too much N.

4 Likes

Nute burn would show up on the new growth usually though? That was just my understanding anyways…good chance I’m wrong lol

2 Likes

Yah dwc here. But that’s why i switched to AN. No more having to worry about PH

Yet it so often is the issue.

Therein is likely your problem. You’re not the first person to have issues with the “pH buffered” hydro nutrients that “don’t need to be adjusted”.

Heavy speckling looks like mite damage. I’d eliminate that as a possibility. It may be both.

Those deficiency charts aren’t worth much TBH. When using a complete hydro nutrient, pH is usually the issue.

3 Likes

I dont know much about hydro, but I bet it’s just high nute burn. PH isnt going to do that. Unless it drastically dropped or raised. Too much ferts IMO

1 Like

1 Like

Would nute burn not show up in New growth first?

This damage is starting in lower portion of the plant and progressing upwards.

Just calibrated my pen I’ll check PH shortly

This is a potassium deficiency, similar edge and tip browning, but I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Close but not the same I don’t think…my browning is alot spottier

1 Like

Yes I’ve heard of people having some issues like you’ve mentioned. I should keep a closer eye on PH.

I just calibrated my blue labs pen and tested the buckets. They sitting at 5.5 across the board.

So not ph this time but I do appreciate the reminder!

What’s the pH of your tap water? If too high or too low AN chelation process wouldn’t work. Check also ppm and pH in your reservoir, that could give us a clue … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

Hi George!

Ive been changing res water weekly since I switched to 12/12

Buckets spiked at the 5 week mark to 2.0 after only adding 1.2-1.5 throughout veg. They did the same thing on the last run.

Now I’m changing out my res weekly for the last 4.5 weeks

Been keeping the buckets at 1.6EC

Just PHed them and they all sitting at 5.5

Not sure PH of tap water but I can check later

Thanks for the reply, pH 5.5 might be too low and would explain the Calcium loss:

Hydroponic pH chart

Would be fine to check ppm’s and pH and see fluctuations, I kept this chart because was useful to detect problems:

3 Likes