Ice water Hash troubleshooting?

Okay so update…

First attempt at this with 200 grams of sugar leaf. Used a spoon. And the result was amazing. We did like 5-6 runs and the material never turned green on us.

Second attempt 454 grams of mainly bud and then sugar leaf. Used a paint mixing drill attachment. The results were super green. We did 3 runs and it was super green and gooey. And this was with fresh frozen buds, not just sugar leaf.

Not sure what we did wrong.

1 Like

The paint mixer is the main reason id say!

Id like to know, did you run wet or dry material, if dry, did you let the larger batch soak well before you started to mix?

Dry material crumbles easy, specialy if you use a power drill and paint mixer. If you do, run it as slow as your drill will let you go. But I would recommend use hand power, unless your running kilos.

A huge round barrel, loads of ice cubes and a mixer can work.
But make sure the barrel is wide enough, that the mixer can push the material away from it.
The ice cubes, hitting the weed is enough to knock the trichomes of.

Best option is IMO running fresh material, but I only ever made bubblehash from trim and popcorn.

I used a 650 Liter cone shaped barrel and a wooden paddel, that looked a lot like a kricket bat with a long handle.
Mix in that, let it settle, remove the floating material. And drain it thru a bottom drain, into my 20 Gal bags bit by bit.

No work stress in the bags, from mixing and much less heavy lifting/shaking clogged bags.

1 Like

Caught my eye too. :eye:

3 Likes

Things that I’ve tested and they never worked well:
Paint mixer, 3 designs;
Auger bits, 2" & 4";
Dry ice & paddle in bubble bags.

You want to minimize shear forces in the water and dry ice + water + bubble bags = dry ice frozen to the bubble bag mesh.

The best equipment I’ve used are the mobile washers or a flat paddle (a 1"x2" stick works fine) with just enough ice to hear clinking when you stir, but not hear gnashing\crushing sounds. About 1/4 ice to 3/4 water by volume works well.

Remember that your trying to get tiny little spheres to shear off the point of a cone. It’s not going to take much force, so about a full rotation swirl about every full second is sufficient. Anything with higher than about 90 RPM is probably too much; most drills run between 300 RPM and 1500 RPM.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. We have around 10 lbs of fresh frozen buds and sugar leaf to work through. So the drill is somewhat necessary because my arm will fall off if I go back to using a spoon.

We’ll just aim to keep the agitation light.

Do you reuse the water between runs? To collect any trichomes that escaped the first time?

1 Like
3 Likes

@99PerCent has your solution for large(er) batches.

3 Likes

Thanks All,

We have those exact bags. I really can’t at this time put more money into this hobby. I think we’ll just do shorter runs with much less agitation.

So for each pound of plant. The first and second should be pretty clean, and then rough for the catch all.

If ur gonna use a drill and beat the shat out of the material the just do that innthe 220micron bag only.
Then run all the water only through the remaining bags but use the spoon and gently stir for 5 mins then let settle for 10mins. Gently stir 5 again and let sit again.
Done, collect hash.

3 Likes

So we have 2 buckets. We drill in bucket one, then pour into bucket 2 with all the micron bags (220, 90, 45, 25). We have used a 160 bag for the inital run, but tend to find it doesn’t really collect a lot.

Stirring before pulling the bags sounds like an interesting suggestion. We will give that a try next run. Thanks!

1 Like

So things did not work out in our favor with the drilling technique.

We did a number of rounds and still only yielded around 7-8 grams from a 1 lb bag of freshly cut buds and sugar leaf.

Does anyone have input on whether the buds should be chopped into smaller bits before going into the Ice water hash bath?

1 Like

Your return should be better than that! I don’t bust up the buds per say ,I do however use a drill and stir till it froths I’d say a 3-5 min stir then let sit for 5 than a quick stir to get it frothing again pour through the bags let drain well letting the froth settle depending on length of time it takes to self drain 10 min or longer !

I’m sure you’ve froze your product I even freeze the 5 gal pails that I’m mixing in,my experience less is more I have 5 gal bags and run roughly 2 /2.5 oz =60 grams per batch make sure your water and ice mixture is sufficient to cover your weed mixing with a cordless drill med speed once it starts to froth slow the drill down continue to mix another min or two,I’ve done some serious stirring and haven’t noticed the green material that some members are saying gets transferred to the hash with over mixing!
Maybe shake or ground up bud would be more susceptible to letting green leaf into your hash with over mixing ,as far as ice amount a 3 lb bag plus half a gal of cold water is roughly what I use !

I only strain once some people do a second wash with various results depending on quality your return is going to vary!

1 Like