Im going to buy some clones - what to look for and do next?

Nice looking clones. Wouldn’t mind having a few of those myself.

regards,

mike28086

Unfortunately, they did not take the neem treatment very well. I think it is at least partly an over watering issue - maybe.

I thought that setting the cubes on top of the dry perlite would expedite getting the excess water out of the cubes after dunking them in the neem mixture, but it did not. When I checked them after a few hours, the cubes were still very wet and heavy and the plants had all wilted drastically.

I put them back on paper towels late last night, and got most of the water out, but only two of them have started to perk back up this morning and they dont look very good either.

Im bummed.

1 Like

25 a piece is not bad at all for piece of mind and, is about the going rate for cuts of readily available strains. When you start talking about elite cuts, or special genetics, there is no limit to what the holder of that said cut will ask for. Just my two cents. I hope you find some good cuts no doubt!

2 Likes

Possibly still need humidity. They will likely snap out of it with the right temp and RH range.

5 Likes

Definitely should put a humidity dome over them.

3 Likes

Neem oil is great but sometimes tricky. I don’t know about the double strength. I would think normal is fine. The oil will cover and suffocate depending on how it is used. just be patient and don’t fix it all at once.

4 Likes

Thanks guys!

I will try a dome…

Neem oil will burn your girls if you left light on after spray. The have nonoil based pesticides like spinosad you could dip and leave lights on

3 Likes

did you leave them fully submerged for 10 minutes?? when i had thrips i dunked for ~10 seconds in spinosad and it was sufficient, mind you i believe spinosad is a living organism which hunts them out and kills them. not sure what else its effective against tho. i’ve never used neem but i’ve heard it can stress plants out if too strong. maybe next time regular strength or a mild insecticidal soap. hoping they perk back up for you :smiley:

don’t feel too bad, you can always take more cuttings from them when they grow up a bit, just a minor setback (unless they were all different strains)

1 Like

Much easier to treat them as normal clones and focus on getting them established in whatever medium you are using. Saving any treatments until later.

Keep them in total isolation for 2 - 3 weeks and once established you can treat with whatever you want if needed.

My experience with Neem oil tells me double strength is not a good idea.

4 Likes

I’ve used neem/spinosad in rotation to dunk clones I brought home at the ratio the bottle says and had no problem. Both are organic and work well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional info and suggestions. It looks like two of them are recovering fairly well, but the other three are not responding yet.

Based on the “neem could be bad in hi doses” comments, I took them out of the dome and dunked the rockwool cubes in fresh, ph’ed low dose nutes, sucked out as much water as I could with paper towels several times, then back into the dome. Hopefully, that will flush the rockwool to some degree.

I think the suggestion to let the ones that survive grow up a bit, and then take new clones, might be a good idea. Now Im worrying that they have been stressed so much they will likely go hermie on me.

Im going to give the droopers another day or two to see how they do anyway. The two likely survivors will need a few days to recover anyway before I transfer them to some sort of container.

Im starting to feel like a yo-yo with these clones. Since yesterday, I’ve gone from hoping they would all do well, to certain they would all die, to maybe two would live. Now Im back to being very hopeful they will all make it!

The three that looked the worst, had not been responding to anything I did. They just kept getting more and more droopy. But two of them did respond when I rinsed the rockwool cubes in nute water earlier today.

That gave me an idea - maybe the neem was still on the leaves/stems and still causing distress? I decided to take them out of the dome and spray the leaves down with nute water. Sort of a super heavy foliar feeding. Then I put them back under the dome. Two hours later and the droopy three are starting to perk back up and the other two were doing better too. They still look like crap, but at least they look like they are recovering instead of dieing.

So, I decided to repeat the process and rinsed the entire plants in nute water one more time. My fingers are crossed that my hopes are not dashed in the morning again…

What area @anon32470837

Im in Washington state - Seattle, Tacoma area. Most of the suppliers listed were in the greater Seattle area.

1 Like

Seems to me like the neem clogged up all their pores so they could not suck water and you cleared them when you sprayed. I would have sprayed with just plain water myself.

I would lay off doing anything to them until they stop changing, then you can see what is happening as opposed to seeing the effect of the last thing you did.

Stop the yo-yo by stopping doing stuff to them…

They seem to be rooted, when you get roots out of the cube you can start ramping stuff up, right now they have no buffer so anything you do will have much more of an effect.

EDIT : Avoid ‘super heavy’ or ‘double’ or even full strength anything. They are very delicate at this stage, far more than a seed would be at this size. Please, no more nute water on the leaves…

Treat them with care and they will thrive. Treat them rough and they will just die on you.

4 Likes

Sorry about the late reply - a little too much ‘life’ has been happening around my house recently.

Thanks for the information and help. Yeah, I decided pretty much the same thing. Just feed them as needed and leave them alone for now.

Right after dipping them that last time, I put the cubes into small dixie cups filled with perlite and gently packed some more around the cubes so the emergent roots (all of them have roots showin g outside the cubes) would make contact. I also cut some small holes down just above the bottom of the cups for drainage. Sort of like making mini hempy buckets.

Im bottom feeding them now by putting the cups into another container with nute solution so it raises up to close to the bottom of the rockwool cubes. After a minute or so, I let it all drain out down to the drain holes. Im hoping this will encourage new root growth down into the perlite.

Ive been doing that once a day and they seem to like it. All 5 are coming back and the new growth is looking good. No sign of new roots yet though.

2 Likes

How long should it take for new roots to show up in these babies?

All 5 clones had at least some roots showing out the sides and/or bottom of the rock wool cubes, but after 6 days in the dixie cups of perlite, I can see no signs of new or growing roots. I have them in simi-clear cups that are inside a second cup wrapped with black tape - to keep light out. The tops are covered loosely with dark fabric to keep light from the tops of the cubes and roots. When I bottom feed them, I pop the inner cup out so I can look at the perlite to look for new root growth - but there is no sign so far.

The nutes Im feeding are Mega Crop at 5 gm/gal with the PH set to 6.05. The 5 gm/gal is the starting dose recommended for new seedlings. Im running the lights at 20 watts/sq ft set 24" above the plants.

The new growth leaves look good but they are not growing fast at all. There are still a bunch of sick looking older leaves, but I removed the really sick dead looking ones.