Indo Expo is it shady?

oh, I get it, they listed all the breeders in 201, the Seedsherenow booth…that’s bush-league. Fortunately we can talk to BOG here on OG and people in legal states don’t worry about mail-ordering seeds from whoever they want.

looks like a couple Chinese companies were there under “cultivation”, interesting, I wonder if they’re selling greenhouses or what

2 Likes

It was mostly an industry event open to the public on the second day. There was tons of equipment for large scale growing, so I imagine you are right on the money

3 Likes

All I can say is that I’ve received hell a lot of unsolicited spam from Indo Expo company to different mailboxes. Most funny title was “The Only Real Cannabis B2B”… :nerd: They must have bought some large email address database.

I’ve also replied once but never received reply.

7 Likes

Ohhhh I would be so pissed. I am mad just reading about it. . . Bullshit, scandalous capitalist f*cks

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot!
The vendors had been swapped around after the first day, so there was no map. Also, no visible booth numbers.

1 Like

It was really cool being in a giant room full of cannabis related products. The mood was very relaxed and polite. The vendors were happy and engaging, the attendants were sober enough to navigate a crowd with courtesy.

Most of the booths were tech for weed farms, so I didn’t have a ton to chat about personally, but seeing the monster extraction and trimming machines was really cool.

It was a fun time, and I was really impressed with the weed community.

However, Indo Expo itself clearly had some organizational issues. I’m not sure if the expo or seeds here now is responsible for the situation we are discussing, but I found the advertising duplicitous.

1 Like

Exhibitor pricing:

Booth prices run in $3,000 increments per 10 x 10. For a 10 x 20, the cost is $6,000, 10 x 30 costs $9,000, 20 x 20 costs $12,000 etc.
Included: 600 W (PDX) 500 w (DEN/CA) Electricity, WiFi, Complimentary porter service to assist you with move in / move out, Complimentary tickets/passes to all INDO EXPO evening networking events, Pipe, Drape, 1 8 foot Table, 2 Chairs, and Wastebasket are provided per 10 x 10 space. The only extra costs incurred are if an exhibitor requires additional electricity, extra tables and chairs, skirting for tables, and shipping freight to the Show.

PLATINUM SPONSORSHIP $30,000
420 Sponsorship $20,000
GOLD SPONSORSHIP $15,000
SILVER SPONSORSHIP $10,000
BRONZE SPONSORSHIP $6,500
SEMINAR SPONSORSHIP $30,000
VIDEO WALL SPONSORSHIP $25,000
SATURDAY EVENING NETWORKING EVENT SPONSORSHIP $20,000
TOTE-BAG SPONSORSHIP $20,000
BREEDING AND GENETICS SPONSORSHIP $15,000
BUSINESS SECTION LEADER SPONSORSHIP $12,500
MARKETING SPONSORSHIP $5,000
HEMP PAVILION SPONSORSHIP $3,000
SOCIAL MEDIA SPONSORSHIP $2,500

Stats:

San Francisco 2018: Exhibitors: 200 Companies represented, Attendees: 2,000
Denver 2018: Exhibitors: 450 Companies represented, Attendees: 10,000
Denver 2017: Exhibitors: 300 Companies represented, Attendees: 4,500
Denver 2016: Exhibitors: 250 Companies represented, Attendees: 3,200
Denver 2015: Exhibitors: 150 Companies represented, Attendees: 2,800
Denver 2014: Exhibitors: 75 Companies represented, Attendees: 2,000
Portland 2017: Exhibitors: 350 Companies represented, Attendees: 5,000
Portland 2016: Exhibitors: 300 Companies represented, Attendees: 4,200

Representation:

Can we represent other labels or brands? Yes. (An additional label/brand should be chosen, when the parent company owns or distributes more than one label and wishes to sell additional labels from the booth space.) When you complete the booth registration/contract, there is a selection for Additional Labels/Brands. Choose that option and follow the instructions. Each additional label/brand is $250.
*Each company will receive their own listing on all Exhibitor Rosters, in the Show Directory, notification on the booth sign, receive their own social media pushes via INDO EXPO SM platforms, etc.

1 Like

I wish I could remember the name of the breeder who helped me out. I asked him if he knew where BOG was. He jumped out of his seat, said something along the lines of, “He is here? I can’t wait to see him again!”.

Proceeded to open all his emails until he found the vendor map, and walked with me to the booth.

He was also really sad when we figured out the situation.

So, cheers to that guy! I wish I had gotten his company’s name

2 Likes

Well, I guess there it is in the fine print. Still shady in my opinion.

2 Likes

it sounds cool, I love conventions, we have NECANN in the northeast, it’s great because their mission is to welcome both consumers and industry professionals at the same show. So you have the giant machinery and lab equipment next to big head shops with reggae & hip hop music blasting. NECANN keeps it real with $25 tickets too.

2 Likes

Oh yes, no doubt still shady. Consumers have no obligation to read the exhibitor fine-print.

The “print” advertising misrepresents who is actually going to be there. SHN took advantage of the loophole but the expo is also taking advantage of the terminology by advertising to potential exhibitors and consumers the number of “companies represented”. They can say that their shows have 300 companies represented when in reality there is only a subset of the actual companies in attendance.

I guess it comes down to whether the distributors have a legal right to utilize third party tradenames, essentially acting as a company representative, and whether the tradeshow has a legal right to utilize those tradenames in promotional materials. This is what makes this shady from a business perspective. As a business person, I’d opt to avoid such ambiguity as it wouldn’t look good pisssing off a subset of the consumers.

From a consumer perspective, I would think twice about doing business with those tradenames simply because I’d feel slighted. If the tradenames (e.g. BOG, Mephisto) don’t call out this situation in their distributor contracts, they probably should. If there are no contracts, then I’d say both SHN and the tradeshow could be infringing on trademarks.

3 Likes

Speaking for myself, I already know that BOG and Mephisto have stellar reputations and this situation has no impact on the business I will continue to conduct with them, however only in a direct customer-to-breeder way. But you are absolutely right, some prospective customers might get the wrong impression because of the way things went down at the Expo, and that is a damn shame because BOG and Mephisto are excellent breeders and genuinely respected members of the cannabis community.

2 Likes

I refuse to do business with Mephisto until they have Ripley’s OG back in stock