Internodal spacing

Is it all dependent on lighting or is there nutrients at play that help keep internodal spacing to a minimum?

1 Like

Mostly Lighting and sometimes genetics, no nutes can help that. . .if you find some please let me know :+1::v::wink:

2 Likes

So I guess that leads me to another question is it a spectrum like 4k stretches more than 2700k or is it distance from the light?

Been trying to up my game lately.

MJ will grow fine on their own and it’s easy to become complacent once you find a groove that works and lose sight of making your plants thrive vs getting by

1 Like

i could guess that lowering the lumens would make the plant stretch more… reaching to get as much light as it can close to bulb itself

3 Likes

Actually more intuitively I’d say 10000K is almost white/blue while 2700K is red one.
The more bluish the shorter spacing.

5 Likes

I will repeat what said hoodini

1. genetic, first factor ever
  2. lights density, secondary factor than play a lot

On nutrients, i can’t be “categoric” the same way. If you use smartly fulvic + a good N, by example, off course you will change a “low rider” genetic in a more “spaced” version. The same way, if you rebalance on N the feeding during the stretch you will mathematically space more your nodes. I generally hit the N carency when i’m limited in height with stretchy plant, to give an example for the others side.

On spectrum you’re not totally wrong, but this factor appear when every others “top priority factors” are first filled.

When i have to maintain for months a lot of moms/pops in a reduced space, i use 2700K.

When i have to build “clones producer monsters”, i use 6400K :

13 Likes

:thumbsup:

i’ve watched some plants stretch the same amount under all varieties of light/temp/environment. it surprised me. that being said, i’ve also seen incredible stretch on a “stretchy” plant with very weak side-lighting and a light source too far away. like 2’ growth in a week on a 2 or 3 gallon outdoor plant. :upside_down:

my spring run of 6 females had 5 uniform and 1 freak, stunted & showed no red/purple as the others did in an indentical environment.

the quest continues… :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Neverending quest in fact, and it’s why we all love it so much. But chhhh don’t repeat ^^

1 Like

@SquirtleSquad try take a look into my hack shack, im testing spectrums right now.
3000K - 4000K - 6000K - 6500K and 8000K LED strips.

Looking for internote spacing among other things, I’ll be doing a detailed update on the growth in a day or two.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that Bloom Khaos on the Nectar For The Gods nutrient line can decrease internodal length. But, don’t just run to the hydro store to buy some and start spraying it on your plants. It will wreak havoc on your plants if there isn’t a bunch of calcium in your soil. If you are interested, read up on it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0aes33hur3id70/AABUUXh_sJ13gNncf8cSh9kZa?dl=0
(NFTG Bible is too large to post as an attachment. If you don’t trust the link you can go to Facebook and find the group Nectar For The Gods Growers and get the Bible from them. They are a good bunch, really helpful community.)

3 Likes

That’s an interesting read, didn’t see where it talked about shortening internode lengths but I just skimmed thru it (will read the rest tonight)
Thanks for the info broski

1 Like

Gravity, Flower Dragon, and Bushmaster all reduce plant stretch actually. I don’t recommend ANY of them but they do exist.

6 Likes

Ya I can honestly say I wouldn’t use any of these products either didn’t take me long of reading to say “oh hell no” lol but I do appreciate the input

1 Like

Check this video out (you can fast forward to 16:25 to hear about the Bloom Khaos, 17:40 for the internodal spacing): https://youtu.be/_BjbW2KPbTw

There’s a bunch of YouTube videos from Oregon’s Constant Gardener that have Scott Ostrander talking about the line; they are really informative but the OCG guy sounds like that one dude from Princess Bride…

“Inconcievable!!” :laughing:

5 Likes

there’s also another thing that [thankfully] nobody has touched on: PGRs/plant growth regulators. my first memory was something called “bushmaster” and the grower telling me about it said No Bueno :skull_crossbones: :syringe:

:v:

4 Likes

dont those have pgr* in them… like palco

3 Likes

Sounds like it’s not kosher

3 Likes

Yes which is why I stated that I do not recommend any of them. A comment was made that nothing existed to reduce stretch and I was clarifying that they do indeed exist. 10 years ago people were using the shit out of all of them though.

True story.

Never seen the use for any of them personally.

4 Likes

Me neither personally but I can imagine ornamentals making some uses of them. :v:

sorry-- i should’ve re-checked or reworded or just not be so high all the time?

:blush:

I was just saying lol

1 Like