Introducing bugs for desired terpenoids to develop?

So the idea is that ocemene is produced when spider mites infest a plant which is a terp that is said to kill the “high”. So if one pest can produce greater output of one terp what bugs could do the same for more desirable terps? Anyone have experience or experimentation on this?

4 Likes

Do you have a source for this? Preferably a scientific study or similar.

6 Likes

Yeah what he said. Although white papers are about as useless as who is funding said white paper

2 Likes

Mind you this just a book and if I’m reading correctly it’s saying the plant will release this with spider mite infestation to attract other predatory mite, or in theory Goldilocks lol the “high”

6 Likes

I haven’t played with it myself but alot of people like to use insect frass. It’s said to activate defenses in the plant due to tricking them into thinking insects are around. Maybe the frass from a specific insect would give you the results your looking for. Plants use all kinds of complex systems to attract and or repel other life forms. This is mainly done threw the release of specific volotile organic compounds (voc’s) that send signals out to the organisms the plant either wishes to repel or attract. There should be a way to trick the plant into creating specific ones if you knew what they are a response to. There has been very little study done on plant voc’s and there ability to communicate with other plants and living organisms. People used to say you were crazy if you insisted the plants were doing such things. It has been proven and shown plants communicate with the things around them just in a far different way then we do. Would be interesting and valuable information to see these studies done on cannabis.

8 Likes

It would be interesting to see what pest or intrusions people have around their plants outdoors, or even indoors, take a pic to document it and post it somewhere. In turn it would be nice to see readily available testing facilities to get personal flower levels with these interactions. But alas it’s nice to know that the idea exist beyond my head and others notice the trend.

1 Like

Interesting… perhaps this summer I’ll run similar clones indoor (controlled) and outdoor (natural). Perhaps run 4 total. 2 indoor one with insect frass one without and the same outdoors. A couple Modelos into a Sunday and really have the gears a churnin’

Temporary respite per op.