Is it OK for seedlings to have a constant (light) breeze?

I grow in a smallish tent so I can’t fit an oscillating fan. I have a tiny fan in the tent that puts the plants in a constant state of slightly moving around. They are never really still, but also not really flailing around.

I have tried growing with no fans in the tent, but I think that caused other issues.

The fan is completely off during lights out, but the exhaust fan is still running.

Do you guys think this is OK?

6 Likes

Definitely strengthens them up quicker.

8 Likes

I worry that they never get any time to be still except at night.

There is something wrong with my environment that wont allow my plants (seedlings especially) to handle much light without stressing out and so I’m trying to figure out what it might be…

In most grow rooms I know people have oscillating fans so their plants get some time to be still in between breezes, and I guess I’m worried that mine never get a “rest”.

Here is about the level of breeze that they are constantly under

If you can’t see the video click this link

I have them in a tray of water to increase humidity since it’s dry as heck here.

I’m able to keep humidity at about 55% this way and temps are in the low/mid 70s.

2 Likes

Fans on 24 is just fine it’ll help with transpiration during the day, cell wall building and keeping unwanted things off. Beat of luck!

5 Likes

All my seedlings grow up with lots of air flow. 24/7 light and fans.

7 Likes

Only problem I had was when they went a bit horizontal on me.

2 Likes

Some may need a helping hand…propped up/tied up but having a fan on them really helps in my opinion even if they need a crutch.

2 Likes

If you want to give them a bit of a rest use a timer on your fan, like 15/15 minutes on and off.

3 Likes

Mamma Nature has breeze at all ages - why not you too? (smile)

5 Likes

I tried running the fan only with the lights on during the last grow.
It seemed to work OK. Previously I was running 24/7 & I didn’t notice a difference.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Fans 24/7 unless I’ve pollinated or sprayed silver. I have a plant going now that started growing at an angle and was so flimsy the fan at lowest setting blew the entire thing around. I was acctually a little concerned about leaving the fan on her. 2 days or so with the fan she completely straightened out and the leaves are the only thing that move with the fan anymore. Toughen up them stems!

2 Likes

Have you considered getting a small tower fan. If you click on that link I created, you’ll see quite a few sizes and styles, including bladeless. They take up a very small footprint, so this may be a good answer to your question.

2 Likes

Fans on 24x7 here, exhaust fan as needed for heat. Unless pollenating then ALL are off…

I like to aim fans at walls for indirect airflow. You can give plants windburn! The walls also give more random patterns to the air compared to a laminar flow if you aim it at the plants. Aiming for corners also works well…

2 Likes

16 inch oscillating on 24/7 low/med sitting in the corner aimed at the wall. 6 inch fan on top aimed at lights on 24/7. 4 inch exhaust running at like 30% mostly 24/7( I turn it off when I open the tent)

Like with most plants each one will react differently to wind stress, You notice them “tuck in” their fan leaves if they’re getting too much wind, that only really happens if you just have a fan pointed at a plant with no break or oscillation tho. 1 or twice a day I’ll pick up my 16 inch and turn it on high and aim it right at them let the plants get tossed around for a min or two, I’ve found that doing that from a young age combined with silica makes for very flexible plants. Great for training

2 Likes