Is it possible to have seed declared as hemp for customs inspection?

This is a FIRST for me, however I’m wondering could I have the seedbank resend as hemp seed ?

What about this requirement of a phyto sanitary certificate ? Is this difficult to have sent w an order just to say it is or is this more complicated than I’m thinking ?

3 Likes

The Customs goons seem to be reacting to legalization by stealing more peoples’ seeds. I stopped ordering from overseas after having 2 or 3 orders in a row stolen by them. Almost every seed company you could possibly want is now available from within the USA. The seeds come in few days and never get seized. “Hella Dank” seed company had the ones I was looking for.

I think all cannabis seeds are legally hemp, because they have less than .3% THC. It doesn’t matter, CBP is now a rogue paramilitary, they’ll do whatever they want. You probably need a commercial license to send hemp seeds over the border.

7 Likes

I got one today, from Guru as well. Perhaps they are wise to the company name, bullshit declaration and “stealth”…

2 Likes

@anon90741032 I sent a letter tonight recommending they STOP using “jewelry beads” as the declaration. It is most likely flagged now. You’ve proven they must change how they ‘stealth ship’

3 Likes

I think you’re twice as likely to get them seized by declaring what they are. Knee jerk reaction from customs doofuses is going to be to toss that shit and not even take the time to fill out the paperwork why.

When I was buying live aquatic plants from overseas the phyto certificate was an extra $30. No idea what the fee would be now.

Conceal well inside something innocuous.

You don’t need a phyto for seeds. Live plant tissue especially and certain agricultural products needs one. I almost always send seeds overseas within packets of normal flower or vegetable seeds. Labelled on the customs form as, say, “heirloom watermelon seeds”. It’s not lying. Out of a few dozen I’ve only had one package not arrive. All over Americas and Europe, a few others like South Africa, Australia, Thailand.

If well concealed you can send clones overseas. People do it all the time. I wouldn’t, but it happens.

10 Likes

I just send them. No need to declare anything.

2 Likes

Certain countries require to know what the contents of a package are and the amount it cost, so they can collect dues. I have used many things. But I find that if you use business promotion that I haven’t had trouble.

2 Likes

Never volunteer info. Too many dishonest people.

Lol. Good idea. Better than the time i sent “11earrings”" lol. Who sends an odd number of earrings??? Don’t get high before going to the post office ! :rofl:

6 Likes

Thanks @vernal for the insight. You’re probably right. It’s more likely a matter of putting them inside something instead. The first order did arrive but the breeder envelope was loose, and not hidden when I opened it. They need to find a way to conceal inside something, quit using jewelry beads as the declaration and use another proprietor name for return address. I’ll bet Guru Trading declared as jewelry beads is HOT

On a further note, it’s hard to believe we have to put up w these draconian invasive bureaucracies after 20 years still in the midst of growing legalization :rage:

2 Likes

Back in the Day… some bought bird seed and removed all hemp seeds, added seeds, resealed & shipped. Don’t know if that would work today.

2 Likes

Here’s a letter I sent just now…

It’s on them to take action re-disguise themselves. I’m sure other orders in the pipeline won’t make it though…

Declaring as seeds is about the worst thing you could do. Seeds get stopped at the border due to agricultural laws. This is not a pot thing, its a seed thing. While an inconvenience these laws do serve a good purpose. There are a few criteria for sending seeds over the border that need to be met and if they had the correct paperwork it likely would be just fine. Problem is nobody is going to get said paperwork declaring them pesticide free. I believe there are other criteria as well. These things become a real pain for those sending pot seeds but people should stop thinking of it as them trying to stop folks from sending pot seeds as that really is not the issue. Even the letter says it’s in violation of the plant protection act. A batch of seeds can bring with it all sorts of invasive pests that we don’t want spread.

5 Likes

@DougDawson Yeah I have to admit you’re right. It’s about invasive plants in the final analysis. Cannabis seeds just happen to get mixed up in it, and treated as the same. I suppose it’s like the mystery China seeds that were suddenly appearing in people’s mail boxes…

2 Likes

Some very quick thoughts. These come by way of my experiences importing small quantities of cacti and succulents seed from abroad. Most legitimate seed outfits can provide a phytosanitation certificate for $20-$30 extra. But this will only help you if you declare that you are importing seed, in which case you’ll need to specify the species. You would also need the USDA small quantity hobbyist importation permit. This is attainable, I know at least one cacti enthusiast locally who has gotten said importation permit. But there’s a huge bureaucratic nightmare and a lot of paperwork to get it. And I don’t know how things would go declaring that you’re importing cannabis seeds.

As such I have always just risked it. Even on multi hundred dollar cacti seed orders.

Basically, hide them better :wink:

1 Like

I’m curious what most seed banks will do if customs takes the seeds? Is any compensation given or are we just shit out of luck.

Looks like customs is going to take a order i made recently from this site https://breedersdirectseedco.com/

Short answer it depends…

Some banks will offer a premium/insured shipping. Usually good for 1 resend.

Others don’t really offer insurance but may offer a resend (somewhat the standard)

Finally some will say you accept all risk, those that go that route more often than not will state it on their site

1 Like

So what it comes down to isn’t the issue of what seed is legal when importing. It’s about the plant protection act, and all seeds fall under that umbrella. It will always have to be concealed no matter what it is to get through. When I got my first order like I said in my letter, it was loose when I opened it, so it may given me the false perception of being overlooked. I must’ve been lucky to get it, even though all duds…

2 Likes

Thats funny I also do did the same. I have another order in with them now, kinda just considering it lost at this moment.

I never order from outside of the states either. They just happen to be one of the few places online with White Label seeds… (that I could find anyway)…

1 Like

Same here. I only ordered from them because they had the lowest price on Purple Capers Krippy Kush. Since I didn’t get any seed to sprout from 5 they offered to resend fresh seed after I requested it, along w buying another pack. I don’t get the impression dealing w Sophie it’s an SOL situation, but it’s good we both made MGS aware and to change how they’re packing and declaring international orders.

2 Likes

Generally seeds are allowable in shipping, no phyto needed.

2 Likes