Is it safe to use pet-shop preperations, that are sold to remove chlorine from my tap water?

This solution will not harm your plants, although repeated use may make your soil or hydroponic medium too saline.

These preparations commonly add sodium, which removes the chlorine by forming sodium chloride (table salt).

2 Likes

I do believe the FAQ is in reference to sodium thiosulfate… It is relatively safe if used properly.

You can dechlorinate using vitamin C or simply by adding a bit of organic matter like dirt or compost, the chloramines or chlorine will not be able to oxidize all the organic matter and will be disabled.

4 Likes

Bump

Please consider mentioning or tagging the product AquaSafe for this faq (title). It is the most commonly used tap water preparation I know of and did not turn up on a search of OG for the word

Edit: also Coco? sodium can be an issue from what I have read.

2 Likes

I think that stuff is for fish tanks. Why not just let it sit for a day? I don’t trust it.

If your tap water is junk you may want to get a r/o setup. Especially if you in coco. I think.

This thread is 5 years old. They should have came back and told us what’s up!

2 Likes

It is and supposedly it has kelp in it. And vitamins.

Details

Makes tap water safe for fish
Instantly removes dangerous chlorine, chloramine, copper, zinc and lead from tap water
Optimised vitamin B mix reduces stress experienced by fish during water changes and therefore sustainably supports their health
Contains a natural plant extract to protect fish gills and mucous membranes
Vitamins, iodine and magnesium promote vitality, growth and well-being
Improves the water clarity by promoting the growth of useful bacteria
For use when setting up new aquariums, carrying out water changes and transporting fish

> For all freshwater and marine aquariums (switch off the protein skimmer)
bolded could be an issue for an air stone and bubblers. But for hempy buickets or octopots might be okay. And letting it sit will not eliminate chloramine.

3 Likes

I d k. I just let it sit. But my water isn’t too awful.

Some guys pee on their plants. Well I think they dilute it a bit, but still.

I want to start growing organically. So many smells!

1 Like

Contrary to popular concerns, neither chlorine or chloramine from municipal tap water is a concern for plants, provided the World Health Organization Recommendation of less than 5 ppm, is followed.

Laughable. How many times have I smelled it coming from the lines after they are flushing the lines for some repair or maintenance to flush lines that have dead service like hydrants and discontinued businesses.

I was about to say something that I heard someone say also… along that line. They tried telling me that small amounts of chlorine can actually be beneficial. Wtf!

I have no idea about chloramine.
It seems fishy to me to add something to the water that makes something else disappear. It’s got to change to something…

This is a reference to browning of roots in hydroponics referred to in that article.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jjshs1925/71/4/71_4_485/_pdf

As mentioned the safest way is probably just use ascorbic acid powder and since most tap water 7.0 or better probably enough to get the ph down would be enough to eliminate the chloramine and be safe for bubblers and air stones.

I use regular clorox in my reseviors at .1ml/gal my plants are doing great.

1 Like

I would prefer not to use clorox in my containers. Usually have some type of water only soil in those.

plants don’t seem to mind it. Standalone dwc with 5 gallon buckets. Beats the hell outta dealing with pythium.

1 Like

get rid of the fungus gnats maybe? or try some Southern AG GFF? never mind bleach those roots white !

1 Like

Nah, small amounts of bleach like that are( ok).

I’ve been playing in coco, using perlite and great white, continuous feed. Plants explode! Fastest growth I’ve seen other than dwc.

Dude! Those are monster for inside! Nice job! What are you growing bro? Thai’s? Props!

Gorrilla glue, blueberry and ancestral skunk. 7 weeks of veg in dwc was a bit much :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Nice! Lol, man my first dwc grow was a mess! Talk about overgrow! I should have defoliated a lot! And I didn’t at all. Great learning lesson!

I want to make something like a nft bucket system. Two buckets inside eachother one with holes. I’m so lazy though.

That skunk should be nice! Who’s it from?

@Misterbee

2 Likes

Tap water. I use it. I believe it helps kill bad bacteria . Don’t hate on me . I do clones in water. I do ph down. But I have started them in straight water. With air.

2 Likes