Is there a silent water canister (while carrying)?

At some times I need to carry daily two 8 gallons (2x 30 liters) of water to my grow room. But they are super noisy while carrying because of swashing sounds.

I am using these kind of canisters:

Problem is that you cant fill them completely with water. The water inlet sits a bit deeper than the total height of the can. So at the top there is always air. That causes to make loud swashing sounds when I transport them.

I carry them in a military bag. But I need the cans to be silent. No noises of swashing. Is there a way to fill them completey? Or can you recommend another type of containers?

I saw that there are fuel cans made out of tpu, maybe that is good?

3 Likes

Cover them in a duvet and carry them? Or buy a different type of canister to carry the water in that can be filled up properly? Not sure how to silence water :joy:

3 Likes

Start buying wine casks, drink them empty and refill with water.

5 Likes

Easy, they just have to be Completely full.

3 Likes

I bought this 30 liter model, you can fill it to the top, hope you can find something similar … :sunglasses:

5 Likes

2 thoughts:

1. When filling the canisters, tilt them the opposite direction of the opening and replace the cap before sitting flat. This should allow you to get it completely or nearly completely full.

2. On the top (flat portion), drill out a 1/2" hole and place a rubber grommet in it, then place a 1/2" connector with (at least) one end closed off. You can fill it up as much as possible in the large opening, then top it off in the plugged opening. If the flat spot is large enough, you can try a larger plug set-up. EDIT: Or, you could use a wine or champagne cork - just be sure to get the size of the hole correct for the cork!

Be sure to let us know what you come up with! Good luck

3 Likes

Also remembering the Arquimedes (the soap in the bath) formula, once filled you can drop into the water something not very heavy and floating so you could recover it (like foam used to help floating the kids) and that way fill the remaining air spaces …

11 Likes

George is on the money you could hot glue some kind of foam or plastic cup thing to your lid to fill that excess space. Brainstorming :+1:

5 Likes

They make collapsible water bladders, I’ve seen them on Amazon. I’ve used them with a hand pump filter for long hikes. They take up very little room empty and they don’t slosh around.

4 Likes

what is the name of that?

1 Like

I’m afraid I bought it in an ironmongery here in Spain, has no brand or name … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’d also suggest the plastic bag sort of water container, so there is never an air gap regardless of how much water is inside.

3 Likes

Here is an example collapsible water carrier (for camping) that others have mentioned.

This one is going on 20 years old and still works:

5 Likes

Yes, good idea, there are foldable containers, but not for 30 l. I suggest this one, just 5,3 gallons:

2 Likes

You just never know what’s gonna be posted on OG. I never considered someone might need to be stealthy carrying water to a grow but sure enough that is a thing and folks are here to help you get it figured out. Bravo Overgrow bravo!

4 Likes