Is there someone here with experience running octopots outside?

I just planted a blueberry auto seed in my tent. If everything goes well the plan is to transplant it sometime in February. I live in Arizona and the coldest of the winter is usually done by then.

I’m planning on filling the fabric part with 60/40 peat moss/perlite that they recommend.

Would liquid doctor earth nutes (the liquid pump stuff) work or do I need something that’s non-organic to run in the water part of the pot?

Does my plan seem sound? Am I missing anything major that I haven’t thought of?

Here’s a picture of my current/first grow.

Indoor white widow auto started from seed on December 5th. So far so good I haven’t had any problems to speak of with her.

7 Likes

I haven’t done the octopots but I did dwc outside. I used a aquarium heater to keep water warm. This was in central California so close in climate. I had problems with algae and ph control. I also used a one bulb shop light to give it more hours of sun. Also ran clones in early spring for harvest before summer hit.

2 Likes

Maybe hempy buckets would work better outside … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Know of them but my guess is that black would get damn hot

2 Likes

This is something I hadn’t considered. I wonder if you put heavy duty aluminum foil around the bottom?

2 Likes

I haven’t tried then outdoors yet but I believe @ShiskaberrySavior maybe able to help

Good luck

2 Likes

Yes ran a auto in a octopot last summer out on the deck . No real issues I did wrap the res in a reflective blanket but really don’t think that was necessary . We had a couple weeks of 90 plus heat thinking it would keep the roots cooler. I eventually removed the blanket not noticing any change .

2 Likes

There she is a few weeks left before it was done to be truthful it wasn’t really like I did much other than fill the res .

7 Likes

Do you remember what nutes you used? Also I bought peat moss and perlite for this grow. Is the 60/40 soil media recommendation they suggest a good one? I have the Dr. Earth liquid/pump stuff I’ve considered using for the water. I’ve also lined my reservoir with aluminum foil.

With my first grow, I’m using all organic stuff, FFOF soil and Dr. Earth dry products along with a couple other organic things for extra oomph. I’ve never done anything hydroponic. Expect to learn some things from this grow, but I would like to get a usable end product from my octopot class. :grinning:

Sounds good I used a salt based 2 part made by plant prod .nothing special I think i added some cal mag a couple times and close to finish cut back the strength to flush . I used sunshine 4 with added perlite.

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with using SIP-style containers outside. Many raised beds are made that way, theres loads of balcony pots with reservoirs, Earthboxes are used outdoors often, etc… It’s probably best to mix your medium with dry slow release fertilisers and use the reservoir for just water.