Is this a "LeafHopper"?

Something is munching on my girls. The only insect I spotted is this.
Any idea what it is? Google photo match says “Leafhopper”, is google correct?

Is pyrethrin safe on pot if not in flower?
Double Grape Autos. Still in veg but flowering will start any day.

5 Likes

Not exactly what my leafhoppers look like, but close enough. Mine are mostly light green. They like to hang out on the vertical stems of the plant, below the leaves.

Don’t know that the damage pictured if from leafhoppers though. Your plant’s leaves seem to have chunks missing/bit out of them.

Leafhopper damage looks like small spots densely packed on an area of a leaf. Looking closely at the damage the waxy leaf cuticle will be left behind, but the green goodness inside will be eaten out. Kinda like leaf miner damage, only spots, not wandering lines.

2 Likes

Inside? Slugs can leave damage like that on leaves but you see slime trails and they shouldn’t really be inside.

Leaf hoppers kinda look like that. I’ve seen light green ones, and also turquoise / purple / green ones, but they are usually thinner…

Damage like that can also come from leaf cutter ants and caterpillars, though the ants cut from the edge and not the center, caterpillars are similar. So I doubt it would be ants…

2 Likes

This is a broad-headed sharpshooter. Pyrethrin should not be used within 60 days of harvest.

1 Like

I would guess caterpillars too.

2 Likes

Could be a cicada? icon_e_confused|nullxnull

3 Likes

…here is a pic. :metal:

8 Likes

Most definitely a LeafHopper.

Though, as mentioned, the damage doesnt look like it came from him.

@GrouchyOldMan gave me a link that shows actual Leafhopper damage and that is not what I am seeing.

My damage looks much more like this:

Nonetheless the ONLY bug I have seen has been a few of these leafhoppers. The damage seems to happen overnight, I see it in the morning. Three applications of Neem Oil didnt help at all.

So last night I made a .5% solution of Premethrin and applied it after the sun went down. It specifically mentioned Leafhoppers on the label. No new damage this morning!

3 Likes

Good work. Pests won’t be eating your plants any more :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Cross posting this here since it is relevant.

Well, looks like I have had a setback.

Saturday morning the girls looked like this:

Saturday evening after dinner they looked like this:

Tracing back to Friday night is where I made my mistake.
I applied a 0.5% solution of premethrin to them after sundown.
I also applied a full dose of nutes, and a double dose of fungicide.

1st mistake - too many variables changed at one time.

• The damage looks topical in nature, which points to the premethrin.
  • The fungicide is only creating healthy bacteria, very much doubt it had a negative effect.
  • Full dose of nutes would have burnt leaf tips first, not the likely culprit.
  • It appears that the daytime sun got it, as the plants looked fine overnight.
  • The same solution of premethrin, full dose of nutes, and double fungicide was also applied on the tomato plants and they showed no ill effect. Exact same dosages.
  • I did NOT follow good sprayer hygiene in that the sprayer hasnt been used in years, and I failed to wash it out beforehand.

Weighing all of the above, I suspect the premethrin spray simply because the damage looks so topical. At this point there is nothing I can do, the damage is done, so I am going to just roll with it and let the girls recover. Flowering just barely started so leaf damage isnt as painful.

Needless to say, I will be a lot more cautious if I ever spray my plants again. Actually, I see myself going back to hydro after this grow.

2 Likes

I found out what was causing what was topping my plants here and there.Spiders.They are chewing the stems on tops so they fall over or off and they make a hammock with the fallen leaves.I’ll get a pic later

2 Likes