Island Landrace & Heirloom Strains

I know I’m not the only one intrigued by the various island landrace lines, whether Jamaican, Papua New Guinea, St. Vincent, Filipino, Reunion Island, Crete, Madagascar, the list goes on!

Hoping this thread can become another resource for anecdotal reports, pics, leads and research relating to these different gems scattered throughout the world.

Figured I’d kick things off with sharing some pics of the filipino kibungan that is a high elevation variety grown in 50%coco/soil mix. The scent/aroma associated was a tropical pepper, like guava/papaya type - while the effect was a relaxing euphoria, culminating in a tropical head buzz that dissolves any stress you may have had lodged in your head at the time. I will note that the same flower cobbed did provide a very lysergic experience and when masticated/consumed sublingual, then finished off with some milk tea, it was very sublime. Felt much more wholesome, holistic and charismatic/joyful despite difficult circumstances.

If anybody is in contact with preservationists in situ, by all means, please invite them to join our discussions. I have sent out some invitations, we may have some locals dropping in to share their experiences.

Calling all landracers > > >
@yaxu @Roms @Cristalin @Upstate @TheCrueltyDesk @Skyf @deeez99 @Tejas @TexasTea @Guitarzan @Pigeonman @Panamajock @Oldjoints @moka @Cormoran @WVMountainGhost @Bobgrows @MoBilly @George @CADMAN @Swe-can @middleman @Gpaw @GMan @Instg8ter @AllOra @Alta.Gama @RoryBorealis @Wuachuma @romanoweed @Trowertripper @GREANDAL @lefthandseeds @YoBigdaddy @Heritagefarms @misterbee @MissinBissin @Comacus @neogitus @Puddha @Tlander @StocktonT @420noob @medmanbrand @Upstate @GregOG

64 Likes

you forgot to add me up there. @upstate may want to join as well

6 Likes

My fault, could’ve swore both of you guys were in there! I will need to come back and add more.

3 Likes

Had a friend visit Papua New Guinea many moons back.He reconned the sativa that they grew there was very strong…

6 Likes

i have a few running, but none are pure. how do you deal with all the leaves in trim? i think most of mine seem to have normalish tight buds, but some are super long and skinny, cat tail styles buds. also, some have all terps no frosty…just sticky grease on the skinny fans. they also don’t like normal nutes too much.

1 Like

I usually remove the fan leaves and leave the rest to be dry trimmed later. I have this theory that the leaves help with terpene preservation and a longer/slower cure.

3 Likes

ok, but you work through all of it…sounds tedious.
i think when i got bud like this when i was younger, it still had most of the fluffy sugar leaves. when i grew some gnarly land race beans for my first time, i don’t think i worried about leaves too much…weren’t much left by the end. yours are still nice and green. cool. low nutes?

2 Likes

I use the fan leaves as backup nutrition. Strictly h2o with a few pinches of some weak/watered down seabird guano, think it was a 0-4-0

6 Likes

Definitely the thread to gain knowledge at. I’m in.

7 Likes

I’m always excited to see more landrace threads… pulling up a chair now!

3 Likes

This is an interesting thread. Island ganja usually originates via pirates, merchant marines, indentured servants, enslaved people and sometimes the random explorer. Buried treasure awaits the seeker…

8 Likes

I will soon be on the hunt for seeds in St Lucia.

Everything I’m seeing is heavily hybridized though.

9 Likes

Island vibes - nice !!!

5 Likes

There is a weed farm I plan to visit and maybe I’ll have some luck there.

But it’s like everywhere else. WhatsApp + 15 minute wait = something cookies.

10 Likes

That’s a good looking plant I don’t think I’ve ever had Filipino weed are you preserving that one I certainly hope so I’d be interested in a possible trade. Regardless I’m marking this one should be an interesting grow.

5 Likes

I’m just honored to be considered a landracer!:hugs:
Hoping to run some shortly.

5 Likes

I think that one is available from Khalifa Genetics. Mandala has it, but the shop is closed until January I believe.
Other places carry Khalifa, but I don’t know who, offhand

7 Likes

Dalat. Can anyone tell me what to expect, besides a long dedication.
sorry if it doesnt fit in. im rolling the dice and trying to pop one. ill do my best to see how it goes but long time grow man.

3 Likes

Looking forward to this thread. I would love to do a couple landrace strains when rooms available. Doing them outside here is a no go. Season isn’t long enough.

4 Likes

I’ve been after the Filipino Kibungan for a couple of years. That’s a strain I plan to grow at some point.

6 Likes