I've been hunting unicorns "Da Lat"

That’s a beauty! Which strain is that? Definitely looks like a keeper to me!!

2 Likes

The fuzzy one is da lat, what a difference not pouring any energy into making seeds she can focus on trich production. The babies are marty johnstone thai she is spitting seeds and nanners daily at 22 weeks

6 Likes

That’s the only downside to making so many seeds. You can’t quite see the potential of every plant. But you can get close enough to know what they should be. Yeah, Dalat looks excellent! I’m curious to see how many weeks flowering with no seeds. I’ve heard the buds can be incredibly large, and I’m starting to see that on your plant. If it flowers as long as John says they do, that’s going to be one massive Cola.
Looks like the oaxacans will be going 16 to 20 weeks, except one of them which will be in the 13 to 16 range like the package said. They said that the longest flowering plants are the ones you want to look for and I’m excited to have 75% long flowering. One of the males was very tall and stretchy and had an incredible stink on the stem rub. It’s my favorite male, and I think it’s probably the twin of my favorite ladies oh, so I will be making a separate pollination of that male to get a long flowering version oaxacan. I’ve always wanted to make my own Haze type varieties, but use different varieties than most people have used. Dalat would be excellent crossed to oaxacan. And then take that hybrid and cross it to another exotic hybrid. The possibilities are nearly endless.
I never did get any of the Chens dream to Germinate. What a bummer. Doesn’t sound like Steve is headed back to New Zealand anytime soon either. Hopefully someday I’m able to get it.
Did you look at the website for those Thai varieties? There is at least half a dozen different ones there. Four different squirrel Tails, each from a different region but apparently they’re the same land race. There is one that I want that I have not ordered it. It says that 25% of the plants have a very very elevated THC count. It’s got some really neat structure, and reminds me of Colombian varieties like mangobiche. Long buds on it too. You can just tell that if you hybridized it was something beefier it would be an incredible yielder, not that it isn’t right now, but I mean as far as other people would think.
I know you’ll be working with the plants you have presently, but what is your future project looking like? What are you most looking forward to Growing seedless? And what are you most looking forward to making seeds of? I think I am going to cross that oaxacan to the land race team Highland Durban, and then cross that hybrid with Azad Kashmir, and hope to get lucky enough to find something able to finish in New York outdoors in a greenhouse. I think 12 weeks is about all I could hope to properly finish without having to do light deprivation. A 12-week plant would finish right around mid-october if it begins flowering early, which is a Durban trait. Looking forward to finally making some of my own creations someday. I’ve been dreaming about it for 25 years. Lots of land races to grow in the meantime, that’s for sure. Seeing all these varieties grown out is really going to help me better understand genetics, and which region will contribute what trait in a breeding project. I have two goals. The first is to find a pain-killing variety that I can use at work. I know I will have to cross something like oaxacan or Durban to something like kashmiri for that to happen. Or perhaps a Southeast Asian variety to kashmiri. I need something with some incredible get up and go to it to offset the medicinal properties of something like Kashmir. All the weed I have found that gets rid of some of my pain ends up knocking me out.
Of course I’ve always wanted to make a new Haze variety, too. I’ve wondered why they stopped at just one…
And I want to create the most uppity peppy variety anyone has ever smoked. Racy but not edgy, paranoid, or heart palpitations.
This is a truly incredible gift from God. I just can’t believe how quickly it adapts and changes when it gets moved around the world. Other plants don’t do that. I can take a rose and grow it anywhere and it is still a rose. And not just subtle changes, but completely different looking and acting plants. Every species on Earth that eats plants has one in particular that was made specifically for that species. Cannabis has been made for us. Cannabis is proof that God is real and wants us to be happy and healthy.

13 Likes

@upstate I had once a smoe that may been suited for painrelieve and still was very daytime. Didnt make me really tired smoking one spliff after the other morning to evening. It just gave me high endorphine, this swett on Forehead thing, was like walking trough Warm Fog Dust.

It was that perfume-Strain i once mentioned. Dont know what it was.

But i was on the lookout for a Perfume Line.
And i found one. I will send you the Link.
The Perfume Strain i found was Turkish. I principially would think from Middle Eastern Strains , left from Paki and Afghanistan there you find something youre descrybing.

And as always, you find a world of Effects from SE Asia. It was rather a Couchelook that i got from pure SE Asian once, but couldnt really call it painrelieve tho.

But very sedating, watching the world.

But i would first search in Turk, Greek, Lebanese, Nepalese probably too.
Basically search in
-a Typical Sativa Region, that has also reported opposite effects SE Asia, (Midleamerica ?)
-a Typical Indica Region that has reported opposite Effects (Middle East).

And cross probably a tiny bit from the opposite into. As any hybridisation confuses one (me) . It always gives a burnout, cause this undirected unclear directivity. IMHO. I would really first try find a Landrace itselve that does this, and probably only add a fourth, or an 8th of the other Side.

Thats what i would doo, but i know many Minds and Tastes are very different sometimes to mine, but i had smoked such a great variety of old lines, that i think this might help

7 Likes

Sorry about that long message up above. I thought that I was sending a private message. Didn’t mean to clutter the thread

2 Likes

You and I have the same Misfortune of Being too far north for our particular taste in cannabis. I think you’re dead on about what we’ll have to do to find our Grail. We will have to cross our beloved sativas to an indica, whether it’s 25% or just one eight. Probably as close to being pure sativa as possible while still finishing.
I understand what you’re saying about which type of regions to look in. That does make sense.
You know a lot more about Southeast Asian genetics than I do. Hell, I’d never even heard of squirrel tail before. I never knew the name of the main Thai landrace either… so if I was looking for a Thai sativa that also had a reported opposite effect, you think I should look in the north of the country? Or you can find these qualities down south too? Basically I need to find something so intense and Speedy, that it offsets whatever Indica type I use for the pain relief. And I think what you are saying is that these varieties may already exist. I think you are probably right. Kashmir has reported sativa effects. Diggy has bred his in that direction. I’m hoping it has pain-killing qualities for me. I’m doing a large pheno hunt this summer. Well, large for me anyway. So I’m hoping that this strain will be the indica side of the equation for me for my eventual pain-killing work weed. I’m more sensitive than many other people when it comes to Indica’s. They make me lazy and make me nap LOL

7 Likes

First of all: i dint mean we sativalovers have to cross to indica. I was talking about how to produce a Painreleave workers Weed.

that daytime Strain i descried was probably not speedy upbeat enough. So, you may need to outcross.

Like said, search in the Named Regions. Find the Landrace first that comes close.
What youre descrybing or dreaming of doesent sound like a STRONG Hybrid High.

probably a 4th or an 8th can still be very directed. Like a Haze with some breeze thai and Indian, but mostly Columbian, thats still pretty directed Effect.

Find the closest matching (to your idea) Landrace first i would say.

You CAN definitly do a Medical Afghani x speedy Congolese.
I just wanted to say that from Middle Eat you probably find a Landrace that is itselve like this Middlethingy. Goodmood Daytime , unexosting was the PArfume Strain tha i had.
It comes somewhat in the Direction of what you describe, but still not super close.
But this Strain gave me a deep impression how diverse Cannabis can be. I think your Idea is fullfillable and that Straineither Exists already, or you can create it by introducing a 4th or 8th of whats missing .

I would start with exploring Landraces from Middle east, yeah, can also be Afghani. And you can try some SE Asians, but i honestly dont think modern se asians have that deep sedation, thats mostly gone (iguess IMHO)… Also Columbian.

Also, such a deep SE Asian may be either too magical to work , or just not exactly painreleave, i cant say, since i dint have maladies … Also i wasnt focused on it. But it somewhat there. Yeah some high Altitude SE Asian, Chinnese. Korean (Romulan?). Not easy to find. My sedating SE Asian was longflowering…

The more Indica your choosen Painreleave Landrace is the more you have to outcross…
Thats why i mentioned midle eastern Turk, Greek, Himalayas, wich may be itselve what you search.

5 Likes

The last thing: The Painreleave Quality can not really be defined by Fatness of Strain. So, what you have to look for is not Fat leaves.
I smoked a middle thick-thin Landrace (unknown Region, Paki?) that was the deepest highgravity weed i ever had. I smoked longflower thin SE Asian that was also very sedating.
I would TEND to think the Painrelieve Trait comes from slightly high to high Elevation

5 Likes

16 Likes

23 Likes

some dalats from my buddy. my open pollination will be done in about a month , may/june 2021✌ dm me if anyone is interested

19 Likes

quiet a bit of Variation in this Line. I would tend to call this the broad leaf pheno. Snowhighs Pheno in the pics was the thin Leaf pheno. Looks still trippy.

4 Likes

Crosspolination of Hemp and Ganja in SE Asia

Realseedcompany says:

Hmong do have a history of cultivating Cannabis, with rich associated traditions, but this is hemp, a distinct crop known in the Lao language as ‘pbaan’. Hemp is also cultivated by ethnic Lao in lowland Laos as far south as Savannahket. Cultivation on different cycles has meant cross pollination between ganja and hemp crops is unlikely.
Ganja itself is a traditional garden plant among Lao, Thai, Phu Tai, Khmer and other lowland groups who have historically dominated the region’s rich paddy lands, favouring retreat agriculture along river sandbanks for large-scale cultivation.

5 Likes

you know, smokable Marihuana is nearly always grown in Dry-period , not while Monsoon.

Not claiming to know, but this im told

1 Like

Bro, check out sierranaturalscience.com You may find exactly what you need to get a handle on the culprits!!! Wish you success, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh shit is that reefermans ho bac silver leaf??

2 Likes

Subbed. The history nerd in me has to point out that the Khmer Rouge were in power from 1975-1979 and (from my very limited knowledge) it seems like the guy who popularized the term ‘Killing Fields’ (Dith Pran) didn’t do so until ~1980, which might suggest a different timeline if there was weed being called by that name in the US. It also seems like a really strange and off-putting thing to name a strain of cannabis, so it could just be what one guy decided to call some good southeast Asian weed that didn’t have a name. But it doesn’t seem to make sense that the term would occur to anybody in 1976. I don’t really know a lot about the Vietnam era, though, so maybe people who were around then would be able to recall if that was a term in use at the time.

As others have mentioned, Sannie also developed a strain by that name many years later, which might complicate the search. According to Sannie, he didn’t even know about the Killing Fields in Cambodia and named the strain as a play on words because the strain had “killing yields” (English isn’t his first language).

7 Likes

Although Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge didn’t come to power until the mid-1970s, the roots of their takeover can be traced to the 1960s, when a communist insurgency first became active in Cambodia, which was then ruled by a monarch.

Throughout the 1960s, the Khmer Rouge operated as the armed wing of the Communist Party of Kampuchea,
I am a bit of History nerd myself and I have no idea if the name killing Fields had anything to do with Pol pot or Cambodia for that matter although your time frame still works just because they didn’t make the movie till 1980 and popularized the name doesn’t mean they were not using that name in Cambodia for the last 20 years I don’t know. At the time I knew nothing about Vietnam Cambodia are The killing Fields just some damn good weed

The guy I got it from had just come back from Vietnam. And the story really wasn’t about the name he gave it. it was about the quality of the weed. I’m not sure if you’re questioning my honesty or questioning the reason someone would name a strain of weed that or both.

Peace out bro
And welcome to the thread

5 Likes

Not questioning your story at all (apologies if it came off that way). Just interested in how the name came to be at that time, and maybe digging further into it would help track down the origins and the effect you’ve been looking for.

It’s like if someone recalled something called OG in 1985. If it was in 1995, that wouldn’t be a helpful clue, but since the name certainly wouldn’t have been thrown around every day in the 80’s, it would give a history nerd something to work with :face_with_monocle: (not a great example but hopefully it makes sense.)

Anyway, watching with interest since the effect you describe is exactly what I’ve always been after in cannabis.

5 Likes

Since this is the one and only time I’ve ever heard that name used other than sannies I doubt very seriously that was a name given to the herb by anyone other than the guy that I got it from. I imagine he was referring to where it came from more so than what it was called. So I’ve been searching for anything from Cambodia or Vietnam.

8 Likes