Jack’s Classic is not dissolving in my water

I am still experimenting with growing and choosing which brands are working best.

I always remembered Jack’s fertilizer being pretty highly thought of. We still have a few old timers using it around here. Google has mostly positive reviews, and nobody seems to be having the problem that I have.

In regular tap water roughly half of the nutrients are not dissolving. I noticed the bottom of my water jug had roughly half of the fertilizer sitting as salt.

I figured maybe the water was cold, or it was buildup or something. So I got a new jug, added the smallest recommended dosage into warm water (hoping warm water would help it dissolve), then I waited about five minutes and added the rest of the water.

After 24 hours there is still roughly the same amount of salt just sitting at the bottom of the jug. It isn’t dissolving.

My plants have liked it a lot, but I am not going to add shit tons of salt crystals to my soil every time I fertilize.

Anyone have any tips?

My next step is to add the ferts to water on a low boil. See if that helps the shit actually dissolve. Will I ruin any nutrients with that temperature?

1 Like

I always have a little bit of stuff not dissolve. Jacks rep said it was probably magnesium as they put alot in part A. Do you mix part A and cal-nit together?

You must mix part A first! Then mgso4. Then the cal-nit(part B)

2 Likes

I add a bubbler to it to help it a lot

3 Likes

I even use a magnetic mixer and it doesn’t fully dissolve over 24hrs.
Part A alone

2 Likes

No,I don’t mix parts. I just got a little tub of the 20-20-20.

I am not in hydro or anything. I use it as a foliar feed in veg, and a very mild feeding to supplement the organic nutrients in my soil.

The plants like it, and I believe that using it as a foliar spray has helped my clones root faster. I need to figure out this issue with it not dissolving though or I will have to find a new brand.

2 Likes

Never tried the 20-20-20. But I have used the part A, blossom booster, and finish. I haven’t had the problem you speak of. Just a tiny bit of sediment.
Try mixing it into some distilled water for a test. You don’t need too much for full saturation.

Which “Jacks Classic” are you using?

1 Like

2 Likes

You can dissolve 4lbs per gallon of water for full saturation. So try a bottle of water with a few grams(50)
Then mix with your tap water… just a test

1 Like

I am literally adding a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon and about an 1/8 tsp of that just sits at the bottom of the jug not dissolved after 24 hours. Even after shaking it vigorously several times.

Our tap water is amazing. Usually about 6.3 ph and reads around 70 ppm.

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you then. My tap is 150(.3ec) 8.9ph and I haven’t had a problem with the hydro nutes. Good luck. Let us know if you do figure it out.

1 Like

50% is too much undissolved, maybe go to Jack’s website and ask them what’s up. the 20-20-20 has magnesium in it and I would expect to see some undissolved…but not half. if you scroll down on this link there’s an interface for asking questions.

1 Like

I mix my Jack’s in a half liter of hot water.

4 Likes

I use a wave maker in my reservoir.
Never have had an issue with jacks nutrients not dissolving whether I use tab water or RO.
Hope this helps.
I purchased mine on Amazon…

1 Like

This was the one that did it. I just used hot water like a shower and it dissolved almost instantly. I used warm water before and it wasn’t enough, but hot did the trick. Thanks guys.

2 Likes

Yuuup! I fill my rez then ad just a cup of hot water with my nutrients.

3 Likes

Ty for the tip :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

I have found that if I dump too much powdered nute into a container of water, the outer edge will form a hard, seemingly hydrophobic, layer and the nutes below that hard surface will not dissolve. I now add my powder a little slower so that it does not clump up into a hydrophobic mass and after that all my nutes now readily dissolve in cold water.