Jacks rainbow pt2 (a place for breeding data)

Hey mate, what CAD program are you using here? Have been looking for something similar to design my RDWC setup.

Never mind, missed the Freecad message. Thanks brother and hope you are doing well :green_heart:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m doing well bro. Said a few times I’ve got a new bit of drive in me. Not sure where from but it’s welcome. And yeah freecad. It’s not AutoCAD. I’ve used both and actually prefer freecad. There’s a big community of quick answers if you need them. And it’s easy enough to download and import step files for “mainstream parts” if you need any help. Pm me

Doing some work on a hydro setup for mate of mine. (Using a 400w solstrip rig I built last year and a 2 pot (3 with control) flood and drain (wifi controlled) system to fit just under a 1m² space

10 Likes

Awesome to hear brother. A new bit of drive is better than none :wink: Thank you man! I’ve used Fusion 360 in the past which also works really well, I’ll PM you if I get lost :thumbsup:

Looking great bro, how are you controlling the flood and drain through wifi? I am going to start building the RDWC system I just posted in my thread over the next few weeks, can’t wait to get a net in there and get the SCROG going.

3 Likes

Basically 2 sonoff basics control the pumps. 1 from res and one back from control. Those are both on a main switch. Timed with your lights for the on. Once on you can set a loop timer. So say 15 minutes every hour/2 hours or as necessary. 2 float switches in the control bucket.
One to stop the pots overflowing on the feed. And the second to stop the pump running dry.

5 Likes

That is fucking awesome man.

Technology son!!

1 Like

It works bro. There it is in practice. Not dialled in at all…but the smoke was fucking :fire: :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Fucking awesome man. I am more of a DWC guy my self but will definitely try something like this in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Went with the idea of a RDWC. Airstones on constant. Recirc on a loop.

put pen to paper before and figured I can house 4 10l pots in my 2x4ft tent with like a 35mm gap between. (Just enough to use m25x15mm sealing glands for the recirculation hose) with the natural taper back in on the buckets. And a 5th control bucket can go outside the tent. On quick glance can’t get every component to build on eBay. And the total stands at £86.06

Some of the multiples are just because of pack numbers when buying
6 x 10l buckets with lids £16.59
5 x 140mm net pots £13.99
Hidom HD-601 air pump £7.49
Air pump manifold (4 way) £6.99
8x6mm black nylon tube 10metres £7.99
M25X15MM sealing glands x 20 £10.15
PG9 cable glands x 10 £2.09
1500lph fountain pump £8.79
Ceramic pyramid airstone 60mm x 4 £11.98
Sonoff basic £5

Total spend as it stands £91.06
Add whatever for hydroton and nutrients

10 Likes

Careful with the air pump brother, I would go for a Hailea or Sunsun if possible. They are good reliable pumps and the more air moving through your system the better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The reason I was going for a recirc pump too was in case of an air pump failure. My mate uses a hailea and they’re far too noisy for the shed at the bottom of the garden. So gonna go the cheapy quiet route but appreciate the concern brother

4 Likes

The recirc pump can be used in place of the air pump? I thought water had to be constantly oxygenated?

No problem brother, I made the mistake of getting too small of an air pump early on, dealing with temps was an absolute pain in the ass with it. I’m currently running a 900L ph air pump for 1 bucket and it does the job real damn well. If your buckets look like they’re boiling you’re good :joy:

2 Likes

Ran out of likes. It can’t be used in place of but it will go a good way to stop the water stagnating should the air pump fail. Shed at the bottom of the garden has an uninsulated floor where the tents gonna go. That should help keep the pots cool. To give you an idea. When running my flood and drain last time I had to heat my res not cool it down lol. If the air pump is weak then I will eat my hat and buy something a bit more powerful :grin:

4 Likes

Awesome man hope it all works out for you :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

1 Like

They gave me one like :sweat_smile: me too brother. Im usually really good at building stuff. It’s just the growing I’ve gotta master now

4 Likes

Don’t we all :wink:

3 Likes

re: aeration pumps…

…had the idea to run the air line through an extra massive inline heat-sink to cool it because the smaller pumps seem to hit over 80F. :thermometer:

(the climate here is warmer & something i’ve considered for a DWC)

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

The circulation pump will only be on for a limited time anyway. And the air pump is gonna be housed outside the tent so that’s not that much of an issue either. We must have very different climates. We usually just have cold and wet bro

3 Likes

for the aluminum sheet consider making your mounting holes a bit bigger than the fasteners or rivets that you will be using, unless going tapped screws, then go smaller with the screws, it just allows for a little wiggle room that i initially ran into myself due to not 100% accurate and going size for size, caused my strips to be under tension enough that my aluminum plate bent when all were riveted on just due to a couple slightly off holes.

5 Likes

I’ll be going the tap route and machine screws. You know to make my life as easy as possible :joy::joy: but also the reason I’m drafting a CAD file to send to an engineers. (Considering a place called fabricon design as they’re local) I understand where you’re coming from. Fair share of wonky COB holders over here and more snapped m3’s than BMW :wink:
From the files they look like M4 mounting holes? So drop a mm off? Appreciate the input to save later headache too mate

4 Likes

Jumped down middle Earth. Took the 2x4 down. Brought it up. Gonna spend the next hour scrubbing. Disinfecting. Cleaning everything down to the poles. Then I’ll pop it back up in the shed.

Started ordering the bits to make another (fully contained in tent) 4 x 10l pot flood and drain system. With a gravity return to the reservoir (2 x Klamtare 58 x 45 x 30cm *totes)

The return will work on a 12v 1/2" solenoid valve set on a sonoff basic to open after the floods finished. Managed to drop a pump and a float switch off the “parts that may fail” list too.

4 Likes