Jewelers Loupe

Got any recommendations on a brand, magnification, or just a loupe in general? I have 2 magnifying glasses/microscopes, a x5 and a 60-100x but I think I need something somewhere in the middle.

2 Likes

I’m happy with my BelOMO 20x but it’s hard to use with the live plants outside. I’d look for 10-15x quality triplet or quadruplet if I was buying again.

I’ve got a B&L 7x I love but just a little more magnification would be better for trichs.

I’d go with a 12x or 15x BelOMO triplet. Nice quality for the price and I think they’re both in the sweet spot for mid-grow examination

(Edit: I see I didn’t answer your question really now that I posted, but here’s what I got for others interested)
I bought one of these, (dropped one and it messed up and had to replace it). works well. much better than a manual glass imo.
Wireless Digital Microscope, Skybasic 50X-1000X Magnification WiFi Portable Handheld Microscopes with Adjustable Stand HD USB Microscope Camera Compatible with iPhone Android iPad Windows Mac Computer https://a.co/d/38XAL09

10 Likes

I’ve been in the market myself, and it seems like the Bellomo are well regarded, I will probably go with the old boring reliable choice which is a Bausch and Lomb Hastings triplet, maybe 14x to see the trichs real clearly: Hastings Hand Lens 7X, 10X, 14X & 20X - Bausch + Lomb - – ASC Scientific

1 Like

i second the Belemo, but only a 10x is needed as 20x has to small of a focus point, they are legit 10x’s though ive had my 10x over a decade.

3 Likes

Another option if you have some camera gear like an interchangeable lens digital camera and a fixed lens, is to get a reversal ring and shoot macro:

2 Likes

For a loupe, 10x to 20x is a good range.
In my mind, the diameter of the lens is very important (bigger is best)
Some have LED illumination capabilities that could be handy.

The digital microscopes are great but their usefulness is greatly improved with a good mount. I use an old tripod with a home-brew cantilevered assembly that Rube Goldberg would have been proud of… :laughing: :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Funny I just broke my last one and my new one arrived today

6 Likes

That’s the same one I got works great :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol:

6 Likes

I owe the same one works great
For trichomes :+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

I use a 15 dollar 60x jewelers loope and works great

My eyes are to old to use the loupes. I have two, then got a big one. ended up with the digital micros. I just ordered another wireless one. It is @Spitfire’s fault. Well maybe my cookies had something to do with it too. :smiley:

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

It’s really hard to beat these things. I have back problems to where leaning into my tent to look at trichomes isn’t feasible. after about 30 seconds I need to back off. this helped me 10 times over.

If any of you guys are getting that digital microscope and having a hard time getting a solid non moving picture on your Buds do your self a favor and get yourself a cheap mic stand like this one.Goes up down and into a canopy easy so you don’t have to stand in your head to get a still picture.It has a mic holder that was almost made for a digital microscope it’s almost the same diameter as a mic.Good little nugget of info for your toolboxes from @BigMike55 .Still use mine Big guy be lost with out it and it doubles as a light stand in the down time.

6 Likes

Wow great idea

1 Like

@Papalag , coleLennon, i also have this one In my box. I have one I liked when new, clipped on my cell, had a white and a blue light, took some cool pics.
The biggest issue I’ve experienced is light refraction can make trichomes appear milky when they may not be. Love a good ol JL, 7 years ago I never used one. Was a learning experience.

1 Like

Interesting. It never even occurred to me to prop up the microscope with something like that. I just trimmed little nuglets off and brought them inside to my computer for inspection. I find the comfort of my desk and the giant monitor really easy. My desk arm lamps also help with getting good lighting, although the built-in LEDs are pretty decent.

Overall, I definately like having the video microscope, but it’s nice to have the loupes to check things while they’re “in the field.” I’d love to have a proper binocular zoom microscope at home, like used for electronics inspection/assembly. Way out of the budget, the $30 amazon special does the job.

2 Likes