Keeper Strains?

Just curious how many of you have a keeper strain that you have been growing for a year or more.

It seems to me that a greater majority of growers here at the new OG prefer to grow out different strains every new cycle.

Last time around I had 10 different keepers. 7 of them only available via clone, 1 came from a seed bank (Apollo 11) and the other 2 ( Vietnamese Black and X13) were picked up on C bay seed auction.

18 Likes

I have a small library of keeper mothers. About 10-15 at a time. Here there is not a lot of clone trade, the only “elite” clone I have is Skywalker OG. Most everything else I’ve found popping seeds. I think seeds are quicker, more vigorous, and don’t cone with thrips like my Skywalker clone did. :grin::grin::grin:

26 Likes

No doubt.

I hope I did not imply that growing from seed every cycle was negative in any way or that keeping/trading clones was better. I wasn’t looking to debate one vs. the other. Just curious about some of the keepers the talented growers here are holding on to.

Also I ran plenty of seeds from different breeders and growers last time around. Even got involved in a few preservation projects which had me making seeds for 2 years straight.

8 Likes

Longest I have kept a strain is about 4 years. The green crack I have. I am going to make one more seed run soon and than I am going to get rid of it. Time to move on. I have a lot of new stuff coming in that I want to try pollen on.

What about pollen? I have various from more than 10 years ago.

13 Likes

I would have held on to Genius and Vietnamese Black for as long as I had a garden. I ran them both for about 3 years before I had to tear down. I couldn’t see ever getting tired of them.

5 Likes

I am running a mutant Green Daddy Purple that has been around for about 3 years now.

Weird and wonderful. She doesn’t seed worth a damn, so, I am done with her. This is the last summer with this one.

I have 3 last clones running in the green house…

19 Likes

Why did you keep her originally if you don’t mind me asking?

3 Likes

Fine Flavors and medicinal effect.

6 Likes

…i have a keeper-to-me…but that’s the hinge: i’m a 3rd year grower, not really in deep enough to have a fine sense of them.

why i keep my conspiracy-kush: smell. it’s a strong artificial-lemon-lime, totally distinct from lemon terps & lime or any other citrus i’ve come across. she’s not a true keeper because she hermed in hot soil cold temps & relatively small, but until i can replace or cross that weird-ass flavor, she’l remain.

(was disappointed somebody already has a strain on seedfinder called “happy ending”… i’ll probably lock down “love-you-long-time”)

:evergreen_tree:

11 Likes

i’m only just finishing my second run and didn’t take clones from the first. my strategy going forward is to run everything from seed and a 2nd time from clone (i’ve heard sometimes they can express differently from seed and clone) and by the end of the 2nd run i’ll know which ones i want to keep.

i imagine myself being a hoarder of mothers. will give me a good reason for telling the doctor i need to increase my plant count. different strains/effects for different symptoms right?

12 Likes

My dad’s crew has a cutting from 1985. They grew it exclusively for like 15 years. It’s still around.
I have a 10 year old Super Lemon Haze. I call it the Panic Attacker :skull_crossbones:

33 Likes

I’ve rambled this explanation elsewhere, but…

I try to find two or three Keeper Strains to keep as mums, and occasionally grow things out from seeds to see if they’ll supplant the keeper-mums. Main criteria for keeping a plant around, in descending order of importance: effect, vigor, smell, flavor. I like having an energetic strain, an anti-energetic strain, and some manner of psychedelic brain-scramble around…

The only true keeper I currently have is Wreckage from TH Seeds – sorta falls between “energetic” and “brain-scramble” but I love it. Grew it out from seed in Jan 2017, unfortunately feminized so shouldn’t use it for breeding purposes.

5 Likes

You might be surprised

5 Likes

Two landrace or make it three. :smile: Ha Ha…

My Cali Connection Sour Diesel has been in my stable for around 4 yrs now. Her sister lasted 2 yrs, they were freebies from attitude. I’ve got a Brothers Grimm Purple Urkle going on about 2 yrs.

I usually do a seed run followed by a clone run with my choices from the seed run. During the clone run I’ll pick a one or two depending if it’s one or multiple strains. If I don’t feel I have anything worth growing a second time I’ll do another seed run. Everything is kept in clone form until I’ve deemed it unworthy.

Only one I regret letting go of was my tga Apollo bx. Hopefully that will be replaced by the new seeds from brothers grimm I have stashed away.

2 Likes

Wow she looks strikingly similar to the GDPxPurpleAfghan I ran last round! Looks super dense and tasty

I like keeping mothers around… but having been moving so much the past 10 years it’s tough to keep strains going. That’s why I’m all about passing out clones to friends and stuff. It’s always tough bc I have so many beans I wanna go through…

6 Likes

You my friend, need a massive grow space. Your appetite for crosses is unsurpassed.

Nice work all around.

By the way, somebody here on this wonderful site sent me clones through the US Mail, which included among others, 2 Bruce Banner x A11 which came through like gang busters.

Your babies.

Edit: been dabbing (see what are you smokin thread, lolololollalalala)

12 Likes

This thing looks killer !!

What’s the scoop on it ?

1 Like

Grand Daddy Purple mutant is the best way to describe her. Taste is there, but she vegges forever and apparently seeds forever too. I have one last seeding attempt in the greenhouse (which may have been compromised by leaking nanners from another plant). I will run this until it drops just to see if the seeds form. The last batch was 100% failed germination. That is twice it has failed to produce a live seed.

I am running 3 last clones in the green house this summer. Apparently, sending clones through the mail can be done.

6 Likes

It makes me think of a purple Kandahar grow that I did back a while ago.
I got a heavy burnt rubber smell from the plant, I’d Almost Say one of my strongest smelling grows. And
It gave me a heavy limb, numbing sensation, great for bedtime.

3 Likes