Landrace Expansion & Trade

Pan

Panama Red ,panama red. It will steal your woman it will steal your head ( is that the lyrics?)

2 Likes

Originally this was played by Jerry Garcia with Peter Rowan in Old And In The Way in 1973.

10 Likes

That’s the one lol! Heard that a bunch of times! Boy I really blew the lyrics! Well not too bad…

6 Likes

“Pointe Noire” is just a city in Congo that is on the ocean, just north of Angola. I have never had Angola red (or CPN yet), but I assume that Pointe Noire will be most similar to that. I think these seeds were probably collected around the city, and are not necessarily the same as the heirloom CPN that Tropical Seeds used to make “Double Congo”. I got these from a dude on IG that is from Congo.

I am not sure what part of Congo the RSC strain comes from. As I understand it, it’s been selected/acclimatized for a least a few generations in Spain.

10 Likes

That could very well be. Cripi genes. How do you get a pick from yr phone to here? I’d like to show that plant. I’ve been mulling over that CBG panama. Does look different. Better high I bet too. I’ll look into that one again. I may just bite the bullet and get the landrace teams’ Punto Roja. I hear it’s legit and probably related to panama red. I want that 4 =6 hour electric buzz I’ve read about the original Panama Red. Punto roja is supposed to be very up.

9 Likes

Good luck with getting those. Yr friend is sure to have given you something special from his homeland. I would for sure be interested in some of those at some point… I have to make a proper list of what I have. Too lazy tonight🤒maybe I have something you would like as well.

6 Likes

I’d get the CBG Panama if I were going for a more refined indoor strain, and TLT for a more authentic Panama sativa. I think both are probably pretty enjoyable, but the TLT is going to be more wispy bud and more classic but harder to grow. They’ll be very different, just depends on what you’re going for.

My Durbans are from CBG, and they’re actually pretty wispy… but they also are good yielders, and have a strong, surprisingly potent high. So I tend to like their stuff quite a bit. It’s still a lot like landraces, just like some of the best examples of them that you could hope to find.

I like Ace’s stuff a lot too, but I think their gear tries to appeal more to a popular market. Some of their strains are among my favorites though. Crosses with their OT haze add a lot of pure sativa character too. I think the Panama Haze strikes a good balance, because it helps pull back the Panama toward the pure sativa side, but adds some nice bulk and structure from the otherwise long lingering grow of an OT Haze.

7 Likes

I did an Ace Golden Tiger x Golden Tiger to keep the strain pure.
Tall, lanky typical sativa.
The smoke is a bit paranoia inducing, like a lot of the premium bag seed of the '70’s.

I have to dig around to find them, plus I have a single seed left from the original pack I bought in 2013.
Every one of the seeds I used popped.

Ace is the place dudes!

10 Likes

I can give you his IG handle if you want to go shopping. I’m very excited to try them. It definitely is a very special thing. I’ve been very interested in Congolese genetics for several years now, and I would have been happy just to get my hands on a few of the heirlooms that are around. I didn’t think I’d get the chance to grow some from a farmed stock. Pretty cool if you ask me.

10 Likes

I just recently began collecting landraces myself. Couple years now. All I have extra at the moment is some Ace malawi.(purple from breeders pack) Ace panama. And rsc lebanese ( a few extra. High cbd i think) on deck are rsc malana, and hopefully a couple Kashmir landraces from Indian landrace exchange ( unworked) and hopefully a couple others if I can talk a couple more family members into letting me grow their weed for them. ( not a hard task lol! I have family in Massachusetts thank the Lord)

7 Likes

Extremely mildly, you say?
I happen to know exactly what you mean and if you can spare a few more, I be GROWIN’

7 Likes

Grows like a schwaggly little shrub, but finishes in 45 days. I’ll check on my stock, but I’m going to OP some different Lebanese I have, and should have a lot more in a few months. I’ll probably use a combo of Blue hemp’s Leb, Black Leb x Blue Hemp Leb, RSC Leb and Derg Leb 27. The Black Leb will probably be the most potent out of any. The rest should be pretty chill.

10 Likes

45 days!
12/12 or some other light schedule?

4 Likes

Funny story with those durban. So I told rafael ( the rep) I needed to pay by pre paid card. He sends me multiple g mails telling me a code or something. I kept telling him i was getting no mail and someone must have stolen my identity. So he sets up a special order for me and I order 3 12 packs. A week later SIX packs show up. My order was duplicated because I gave him my G mail address, and proceeded to check my E mail instead, telling Rafael there were no messages from him. I’m such a jackass. But I had been on the lookout for real Durban for 5 or more years, and now I have 72 chances for the pencil stick pheno! I did square up with cannabiogen. Poor Rafael had to walk me through that process ( dummy order) as well. He really was great to deal with. I love Ace as well and I will be getting more from them. I feel that the genes they have are secure for now with them, but other long flowering strains from the source country are disappearing rapidly, so I am trying to grab them first. I just love that energy weed. I don’t care so much about yield. I have work to do and a bad back to forget about! Can’t wait to ride that Durban train. Are the listed flowering times accurate? Think I would get anything to finish by Oct 15 at 42 north outdoors? Don’t want to waste 71 of them finding one either@

8 Likes

Yes ig address please. Congo genes are very rare indeed. And boy that is close to Angola. Maybe some relation. Problem is the weed could have come from anywhere up the Congo river originally. Well… that’s not a problem ha ha.

5 Likes

Most of the phenos you’re going to get are NARROW from the start, so you know they’re good.

There’s 3-4 of them mixed in there ^

Lower left, middle right, upper right and one more in the middle. There are also some with slightly wider leaves.

That one is my male.

This one is my girl

Lol that’s a funny story, but at least you ended up with a bunch of really good beans! I found both of those beauties in just 5 beans. Some of the plants are more NLD that others, but I think most all of them will have very little indica contamination. They also still have that Durban flavor, true to form.

21 Likes

I’m so excited for these. How long did it flower? Gorgeous male! Killer structure! Boy I picked those narrow leafs out straight off. They really stick out. Sounds like i should find plenty of keepers. Nice uppety buzz to it I hope?

7 Likes

The girl went 12 weeks. Smack dab in the middle of what they said. They’re pretty easy to grow (tolerant to stress and nutrients), but definitely stretch as you can see. I thought the male was one of the best I’ve had. I still have it from clone, though I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it. I crossed it to my Panama Haze too.

High is excellent. No anxiety/paranoia or lethargy, with good mental clarity and surprisingly potent. I would grow it again, no doubt.

13 Likes

I would make babies with him…have you smoked the flowers? One guy makes oil from his males. Not much of course, but enough to gauge potency. I’ve always gone by stem rub, and now look for hollow stalks as well. If he’s potent he’s a keeper.

6 Likes

I’ve already made more Durbans with those two parents. And used him in a few crosses. I don’t tend to keep any parents very long though. I can just throw some of his offspring if I want to breed with Durban again.

9 Likes