Landrace Expansion & Trade

Beno?

Honestly selected for a few generations is ideal. You get the best representation of what landrace has to offer without all the feral qualities, unless you’re into that sort of thing.

Further, I have some Orissa Gold from Irrazin that are serious tropicals that I probably won’t ever get around to growing, if anyone is serious and is game to try them. 20+ weeks, like a Colombian but from a much more extreme environment. Imagine Houston in the summer but instead of 95 and humid it’s 115 and humid; I don’t even understand how people live there.

I have other landraces as well, if you’re 100% serious and ready to germinate immediately let me know.

I could part with Turkish Hashplant, Orissa Gold, Tajikistani, Yunnan China, probably some others kicking around the ol’ collection.

13 Likes

Yes, that’s him.

About once a year I get the itch to try growing something wild and unweildy. I’m not sure yet how wild these are going to be. I think they’re likely to be from farmed and not some free growing landrace though. Growing the wild shit is certainly a different way to experience the plant. I can’t help but be compelled by curiosity every once in a while.

9 Likes

I hear that. After growing a bunch of dank, more modern things I too get the itch to try something that I’ve truly never seen before. I get bored seriously fast. I think next up for me will be the Honduras by ACE.

If only a tropical sativa didn’t take up 1/2 the damn light I could see myself growing more of them. They just get so darn big.

I’ve been contemplating hitting up the Russian Landrace Bureau guy on IG. I’d love to grow some feral autoflower hemp outside purely as an ornamental, so if the dumbass kids in my neighborhood rip my plants they won’t get high. “Yo that dick down the street grows shitty ass weed”. I can’t wait until it’s as legal as a tomato and I can just let a bunch rip in my front yard.

16 Likes

[quote=“vernal, post:41, topic:28367”]
Further, I have some Orissa Gold
[/ I was eyeballing that one myself. I can’t believe how many of these Indian Land races are popping up lately. It’s wonderful! However my wallet disagrees!

5 Likes

With you on can’t wait until it’s legal as a tomato:).

Have always thought that until it can be grown like tomato’s…completely unregulated…no risk of imprisonment…it hasn’t been legalized…just commercialized for the purpose of taxation.

Have some Lesotho up for trade or donate for open pollination seed run if anyone is up for it. I just don’t have the space or time for them at the moment.

Pretty sure a couple of folks here have the same beans from the same fellow…thought I’d throw it out there anyhow.

:slight_smile:

11 Likes

Sounds like a nice lineup for the Lebanese open pollination. Should be plenty of variety in those beans! I read about that black Lebanese, perhaps from you on this site. It’s a potent one eh?

2 Likes

Any ruderal may work, but I do recommend to get a broad to narrow strain, like Lebanese,Balk, or any Pakistan or Afgan in general

1 Like

Okay, I’ll keep my eye out for something along those lines! Fingers crossed I’ll find something by may and see how it performs.
Not that I need more seeds haha, once my auto seed run is done I should be set for life

2 Likes

I might hit you up sometime if I’m looking for something specific. For now, I’m already over my head. One big upcoming project for me is a kind of haze resurrection. I have collected up several good strains of haze that I’m going to OP (Tom Hill, a few old TFD from @beacher, OT and soon Todd’s Original) . My goal is to get some pheno expansion and see if I can open it back up a bit. I also have some Neville, but I think I’d rather keep it a pure sativa.

12 Likes

I’ve been drooling over that Durban all day. I can’t believe I have beans that could grow sativas like that one in 12 weeks! That’s doable. Close but doable. I have read that genes from 30 degrees latitude will autoflower at my latitude (42) Reading a daylength chart, i see durban, south africa gets from 13 hrs and 55 minutrs of daylength on longest day to 10 hrs plus on shortest day… I don’t see why it would autoflower where I am. Am i not remembering what i read about autoflowering correctly?

2 Likes

The Real seed company has quite the line up of autoflowering landraces from the north right now. Buy in Usa from kwik seeds. A couple are from the source you spoke of ( Russian landrace bureau) . You’d probably get them cheaper from the source, but I figured I’d mention it. I think they have some autos from the Hindu kush region as well. Definately some are not from RLBureau. Good luck. Chebarkyl (sp?) Has up to 6 or 7 % cbd. 54 north latitude I believe. Funny how I remember this shit, but I forget birthdays!

9 Likes

Absolutely! I love worked landraces! Just once ( at least) I want the satisfaction of building a strain from unworked landrace lines though. Lots of work I’m sure, but the knowledge and understanding of how breeding works will be immeasurable. And when people smoke it I can honestly say." Yeah, I did that"!

7 Likes

I think this is going to become my thing for a while. I think the world has enough hybrids and people willing to make them. Once I finish up a few hybrid projects, I’m planning on moving mostly toward acclimatizing single origin heirlooms and like-origin heirloom hybrids for indoor grows.

Ones I’m interested in most right now are Congolese, Lesotho, Iranian, Lebanese/Eastern Mediterranean hashplants, Lao and some of the short flowering Himalayan sativas like Nanda Devi.

17 Likes

You’re my brother from another mother!:hugs: Me too!

Crazy how many of those I’m into as well. I hope interest in breeding ibls from landraces will increase once people are aware of just how special they are. I’m going to use this opportunity to post my first picture. It’s a picture of what I’m calling the Panamanian hashplant. From Ace seeds. This is what I believe might have happened… 1) ace or someone before them dutchified the panama. 2) Ace thinks they got a hold of the real Panama, but one of the three lines they used had cripy genetics in it. 3) originally the Panamanian landrace came from Indica genetics, and dubi from Ace seeds has managed to bring these qualities back to the Forefront in the strain, essentially breeding a tropical sativa type strain" back into an indica" so to speak. And finally 4) This is what happens when you cross three sativas from Panama/ colombia, and this is the typical resiny highland look you would expect from a hybrid. What do you all think? I do have some seeds off this one (not many. 32 actually) that I would part with if someone would make sure to get beans off any similar expression and pass them back my way

• spread them around.It is, after all, a great hash plant! Edit. Dangit. No pic. Will try again
8 Likes

26 Likes

I think a few things will happen in the future. First is that there is a growing number of people who realize they don’t need/want the highest THC cannabis. Think about it – when you drink, do you drink everclear because it’s the highest ABV? No, there is more to the enjoyment of alcohol than going from zero to 100 as fast as possible. Second, yield will also become increasingly more irrelevant to home growers as general availability increases. Third, connoisseurship will develop and these people will go in search of new things. The recognition of an overly homogenized polyhybrid population will cause them to want the things that dispensaries are not offering / are not able to offer. I predict there will be a point where the uniqueness in terpenes and cannabinoids will dominate a “craft” market, and part of that will lead to an interest in more “traditional” heritage strains. In some more wealthy legal areas, I think even currently a dispensary focused on selling traditional forms of hash from traditional strains could claim a significant premium.

My personal opinion is that preservation either requires a lot of resources to sustain a wild population, or grooming a seed population to be acclimatized and selected enough to appeal to average growers. Of course, forming an heirloom is a lossy process that intentionally removes expressions that are undesirable (at least for current Western purposes). But the reach will also be wider, and could even influence popular markets as well.

Working with wild landraces is definitely a bit of a counterculture right now, but I’ve been really inspired by seeing a reasonably large number of collectors and growers becoming interested in them.

24 Likes

This one is my guess. I think they may have used a hybrid panama strain in at least one of the three, and then bred toward tighter bud density and shorter flowering time. That’s why I’d go back to CBG for the Panama, just because it’s a much earlier generation where you can probably still select it for higher sativa characteristics.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention – but another option is CBG’s red snake (Oaxacan x Punto Rojo). I haven’t tried it yet, but I know a lot of people have been waiting a long time for it to restock. I suspect it’s going to be pretty solid.

10 Likes

I completely agree with everything you said. The
Neat thing with those unworked landraces, is that you can go back through the line and work it again and again and get a different outcome each time as long ad you do an open pollenation with yr first seeds. Many of the seed offerings out today were not available to the breeders of the 60s and 70s. Well ,they certainly had Kick-Ass genetics to work with, but I don’t believe they had quite the variety we have at our Disposal today. In the 1960s and 1970s growers got the seeds that came from their baggie or their friend’s got from a baggie. It may have been sold as Mexican, Colombian ,Panama or Thai or any number of names, but which one? There are many land races from some of these countries. Today we can go back through and pick specific landraces, and we can be sure of what we’re using.(reasonably) Breeders can use genetics gathered in hours, not years! And from south and southeast Asia, Africa, South America, Central America, middle east and everywhere in between! I think a renaissance will be upon us someday. There are new chapters to be written for sure, and I can’t wait to read them! New genetic combinations for new hybrids and heirloom landraces sold like burpee seeds at Agway today. And an opportunity for everyone to get to try the best of a nation’s genetics, not just the lucky few who are in the loop.

13 Likes

Very well said, dispensaries are like a candy store. Most everything is “tooty fruity”. Give me a nice earthy Thai with a hint of grape or a Mexican gold. May be getting some ace red seeds. Great post I’ll be reading along to absorb some knowledge

7 Likes

That is a lofty goal, lots of work and patience. Keep your eye on the prize, you’ll make it happen.
When the fruits of your labor are spread far and wide, you can be proud of the mark you made.
(I’m rambling. I sincerely hope you are able to work some of these wild genetics into ‘home grow’ accessible beans. Thank you for what you’ve already done and what you’ll do in the future.)

8 Likes