Landraces of India

Height can be controlled by limiting container size until the stretch period is over. Don’t go over 2 gallon until the stretch is nearly over if using soil. Lots of these Indian landraces and heirlooms get as wide as they do tall even without topping. Folding is a great option, but controlling container size is your best weapon

23 Likes

That’s a beauty you have there! Probably another month or so anyway… I haven’t heard of Orissa going over 20 weeks… …yet lol.

8 Likes

Lol…have a super silver haze in a 2 liter cutoff…lol…bitch grew 3 feet in 5 days…took her head off (about 14") to bring her back down to manageable height and hopefully bush out all the lowers. 2-3 weeks in flower…another 12+ weeks to go.

Edit… should have kept her in a solo cup i suppose…tall lanky…all sativa…buds are gonna be phat as phuq

10 Likes

This is Kullu landrace untopped, and topped late. Finished at about 3 feet plus container, which, after the stretch was over was 5 gallons in size.

59 Likes

Holy crap! Quite the growth spurt! As the queen in Alice in Wonderland says…“Off with their heads!”
Heavy blue Spectrum in vegetative growth also controls stretch. I have to say that I’m shocked there was such a growth spurt in a 2 liter. Not sure what to do about that one LOL, except what you did.

6 Likes

I tend to not top, and use training to control the height. Also using pot size like @Upstate suggests helps a lot too. They are challenging for sure (for me).

5 Likes

Wishing I hadn’t have topped and only trained…whelp, thats the way she goes now…

25 Likes

Its always an adventure. I have a lot to learn about growing these tropical strains myself. Another thing I should have mentioned, is that sometimes very fussy landrace’s will stop growing entirely if they are topped. I had it happen once. Its best to try it out on one or two individuals before the whole crop

19 Likes

Only have one atm

Roll the dice.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this and I must ask, are there many indica landraces as most of what I’ve seen on the internet all seem to be very sativa in nature. Honestly don’t think I’ve seen a wide leaf Indian landrace yet.

7 Likes

Looks fine to me…should Bush out…

4 Likes

@J-Icky. The closest a true Indian landrace will come to being an indica is at high elevation in the Himalayas, (Nanda Devi comes to mind, showing both sativa and indica traits. )and in Kashmir, where “Indica” type plants are found, very similar to Hindu kush in structure. The British fought three Wars in Afghanistan from 1839- 1919, while India was a British colony. I can’t say for sure, but I would think some genetics’ from that region would have been brought back home with the Indian soldiers, where they subsequently would have acclimated over the last hundred plus years. So it is quite possible to find old Afghan genetics that have been acclimated to a tropical humid climate. Also, Pakistan was part of India until 1947…

15 Likes

I have a friend from Kashmir…she’s a doctor and reluctant to get her family to send me seeds…lol…fuckin Nalini.
She has told me of floods, where her helpers had been rescued on house-tops…wars with pakistan…doesn’t hindu kush mean “freinds”

6 Likes

Shiv…Welcome!

Thanks for the heads up Upstate… You are definitely a guy with a chronic predisposition for finding new rabbit holes…Excellent! …Chuckle…
I genuine enjoy learning the aspects of our hobby (craft)…and realizing how ignorant I really am when it comes to the diversity of this plant.

8 Likes

@Shiv9545 has some semi wild Kashmir seeds his friends collected near Srinigar… Kashmir is a very interesting region, and home, in my personal opinion, of one of the only “wet” indicas( from a high rainfall region) on Earth that are currently known. Chitral, Pakistan, neighboring Kashmir, would be the other region, and possibly the Elborz mountains of Northern Iran along the coast of the Caspian Sea as well.

8 Likes

I think there is room for a whole other round of breeding. We can get to a similar point that we are at today in the west but with entirely new genetics that have never been used before. There should be more than just one Haze, for example, and I’m going to make sure of that if I live long enough. There are whole entire regions on earth that have genetics westerners know little or nothing about. The next OG Kush type strain is waiting to be made. The first step is learning what’s out there. I know you like your autoflowering plants. How about an auto India?

16 Likes

Well there is something I’ve never heard of “wet indica”…

Just thinking of potential traits such strains could impart. For growers in the Northern Costal areas of US, Canada, Europe…that have a shorter growing season and an abundance of moisture…were likely to find the additional fungus resistance necessary go with a faster finish.

I guess an obvious question…Are these “Rain Tolerant” Indica’s still faster finishing strains…or due to the regional tropical environment, prone to finishing more like sativas…?(specifically longer)

6 Likes

“Wet” Indicas ( my terminology ) generally flower about the same as Afghani varieties. 7 to 12 weeks. Kashmir strains can be particularly fast, especially from higher elevations. Srinigar is at 5200 feet, and is one of the lower elevations. It is also a little bit on the dryer side then some of the surrounding mountains. Srinagar itself lies in Central Kashmir Valley, which is a bit drier than the mountains to the West, Northwest and North, but still gets over 27 inches of rain a year, which is much wetter than anywhere in Afghanistan. Places like lolab Valley in Kashmir get even more rain .
Perhaps more importantly, the humidity levels can creep into the high double digits, even during harvest season in some places. If you are seeking a mold resistant Indica that flowers fast, this is where I would start.

11 Likes

@Shiv9545 is unable to respond at the moment, as he has hit his limit for the day, but he wanted me to let everyone know that he is looking forward to answering any questions you all might have as soon as he is allowed to.

5 Likes

Origin of Hindu Kush

First recorded in 1820–30; possibly from Persian koš, a derivative of the verb koštan “to kill,” the phrase meaning “Hindu killer” (from when slaves being transported from the Indian subcontinent to Central Asia died in the harsh climate of these mountains); possibly from Persian Hindūkuš, Hendukoš “Mountains of the Indus / of India,” which, in some 19th-century reports was also interpreted in a popular etymology as a compound of Hendu and koš “Hindu-slayer”

:joy: not quite!

17 Likes