Lemon rind to keep ANTS (and other insects) away! ๐Ÿœ

TL;DR: Scatter small slices of lemon peel around your garden.

Every morning I squeeze half a lemon into a big glass of water and drink it before breakfast to kickstart my digestive system, get a bunch of vitamin C in me, and it also seems to lift my mood and helps lose excess fat. Been doing it for a few weeks now and my belly has shrunk. :sunglasses:

It seemed like such a waste to throw the peels away so I started looking for ways to use them since they are edible (not the case with orange peels, but lime peel is edible too) and came across a website that says they repell ants, so there you go!

I remember someone was struggling with them in a plastic hoop greenhouse.
Forgot the name, feel free to tag people!

โ€œThe smell of citrus will effectively keep pests at bay in your garden and kitchen. Scatter small slices of lemon peel around your garden, or on windowsills, door entrances and mysterious holes where ants and mice may be entering your home. The scent of lemon is also effective against roaches and fleas.โ€
Source: Donโ€™t throw out those citrus rinds | Hello Homestead

Could also boil them in water, strain, and use as a spray.

Might also help clean trimming scissors, a natural alternative to nailpolish remover.

10 Likes

i thought orange peels were edible also since we use grated orange peel in recipes. must be the white part that makes it inedible.

1 Like

Might be more fun to get an anteater.

5 Likes

I squeeze a lemon into my cup of orange juice each morning. I still have aunts.

6 Likes

Ant bait is the only thing that makes sense. There are thousands of them. You need to contaminate their food supplies.

1 Like

You have to squeeze the lemon juice in the ants eyes for it to be effective

6 Likes

Lmao @RadioWaves that oughtta do it !

2 Likes

If you have ant issues and arenโ€™t knocking out the hill,you could try growing a plant they prefer to weed away from the cannabis,like peony,hydrangea,sunflower etc.Ants also like mulch because it holds water.I put all those plants in my yard and the ants stay away for my weed.

2 Likes

Very cool post @Rogue I was the one at war with ants this year but wasnโ€™t a hoop house, just a half built greenhouse hahaha Iโ€™ll have to try it, been having mice trying to get in my house so gonna start scattering the peels all over from whatโ€™s leftover washing my buds in a few weeks

1 Like

Maybe throwing the lemons at your aunts might keep them away. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Good point, they love beans too, and beans fix nitrogen!
Or rather aphids love beans/vetch and the ants like to farm the aphids while the aphids suck on the bean plant.

2 Likes