Let's see your worm bins!

Let’s see how fast my worm homies goes through one of those ten pound pumpkins from Halloween! What’s for desert why pumpkin pie of course!

10 Likes

Still not done yet. I need to buy some more landscape block and some 2" foam board to over winter the lil guys, if not i’ll toss another 500 on in spring. i could take a handful in and put in the indoor bin and save some money till next year

Have a good weekend.

12 Likes

I’m doing that exact same thing they’ll be in my garage this year on top of styrofoam and surrounded by it I have an endless supply I get from the hospital that medical products come in!

2 Likes

Update: the worms seems really like their pumpkin pieces tried some raw which seems to turn mushy in about 5 days, tried some frozen then thawed pieces which softens and brings out the moisture in the pumpkin. Last test which I think they’ll really love will be a nice puree!

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbSQkegB98J/

2 Likes

Ru in a big ol fabric pot then @lotus710?

1 Like

Its like 2ft diameter and like 10 inchs tall. Theyc alled big bag bed. But mines came from the dollarstore in town for 2 bucks.

2 Likes

check it out . worm bin is a few weeks old. this was one little handful under the mulch.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb5XlaNhNcy/

1 Like

Did you know that the brown earth worm is native to Europe, and not to continental North America?

2 Likes
4 Likes

Here we go. :rocket:

5 Likes

Here is my bin. Pretty simple set up. I spoil the shot out of them, no pun intended. I grind all their food and only feed them the best. My wife gives me grief because I buy them thier own bundle of bananas every week at the store. What can i say, they love bananas.

19 Likes

that’s awesome man i bet they give you great castings in return. where do you keep your worm bin? do they smell? if i had a heated garage i’d use that but i’m not sure if i want a worm bin in my basement

3 Likes

It resides in our kitchen! Took a bit of convincing the wife as she thought like you. No if maintained properly they do not smell at all. Worms are natural filters and whatever they eat comes out as clean castings. If you worm bin smells it usually too wet from too much food. But properly fed and maintain the ph and you will have no problems. However if you do not and they die or even worse decide on a mass exit and then you got problems on you’re hands. Had mine for over 5 years now with zero problems. Aside from the random escape artist that the wife always finds.

9 Likes

Yup, seconded with “if you can smell them, you’re doing something wrong.” I got a little ambitious with feeding for a bit, things got wet, and I noticed a mild sour odor… I cut back on greens for a week and everything went back to normal.

I have mine in my basement because that’s where I have space for them, otherwise I’d put them in the kitchen for ease of access.

I lol’d at @Beancracker’s “escape artist” comment, as I have the same problem :grin: Maybe once every couple of months, I find a single desiccated worm on the floor a few feet from the box. I salute the worm’s ambition and give him/her a hero’s burial in my flower tent.

11 Likes

My guess is you you’ll never have a potassium defecincy! Which is great for late flower! I’v found out they love watermelon and cantaloupe as well! It’s the sugars in these fruits which multiply the bacteria which helps the worms digestion process!

8 Likes

So a few weeks ago, @lotus710 convinced me to basically bring a small piece of my compost pile into the house.

@Muleskinner asked if I had collected any worms.

No adults, but the worm is ubiquitous.

Baby Worm

7 Likes

I’ve noticed they like coffee grinds, might be making them work faster to, all jacked up on those grinds lol, to s of fruit and veggies and a good ration of carbon material to dirt. Esp super soft already partially decomposing wood

9 Likes

Yup, coffee and left over veggies, daily.

3 Likes

Close up pics of some baby reds going to town on some spent barley from a homebrewing weekend they love this shit!

9 Likes