Let's see your worm bins!

Apparently it’s multi use now. Volunteers in the compost worm bed. This photo reminds me this bed is far from done, Winter comes quick in the rocky mountains :wink:

6 Likes

I’ll bet you’ll have some pretty happy plants there @argo945! for the entire cycle!

I am worried about letting them go It is a Bagster filled to the brim with old hot soil, leaf mold,biochar and 1000 red wrigglers added about two weeks ago. Plus all the earthworms i can scoop up after a rain. It is like a 200 gal smart pot. I might have a some what large problem (trees) as it gets sun from 9-sundown at the current angles. It also looks sativa as it seems to be all i grow lately.

I have had a problem with a Jeff Sessions Neighbor and have had the cops and code enforcement over at my place frequently Plus getting caught with 84 when the city made their own rules only allowing 3 in veg and 3 in flower even though i was holding a 99 cert, his dislike of my home based enterprises including my bath bombs and swirling construction debris when it was really my 5 foot plants basking in the floor to ceiling windows and purple glow of his white house from the red and fs uv t5 bulbs when i forgot to zip the tent. After the cops cleared me he continued to harass me and calls the cops at the change of the wind.

9 Likes

@argo945 Sorry to hear that man ! Maybe your neighbor just needs to smoke a big ol fat doobie or something! As far as the pot (container) goes keep it well watered all the way to the sides they dry out the quickest ,maybe a swirled drip hose from out to in circle pattern and definitely top dress with straw keep that surface temp as cool as possible with that lack of trees! Never grown a sativa before but I’v seen them get pretty damm tall at times good luck buddy! Smart pot like material I believe is the best for worms they need that breathability for their environment!

3 Likes

i drilled some 6" holes all over the bottom and put a tight screen over the whole bottom. I also have a square and a big round multi level bins foe over wintering i let the worms die off when our state went legal. I was so happy to toss garden debris right in the trash along with all that can filter nonsense but I have self corrected.

2 Likes

Since dumping my condo in the bagster i decided to get some more going to boost the population going into winter and split them in september one pop going out and one staying indoors.

7 Likes

Got some Compost Potatoes going.

Happiest plants in the yard.

5 Likes

who let the worms out? who who who who who? didn’t take long for 300 of em to disappear.

9 Likes

That would have been fun to watch on fast motion video.

7 Likes

Is your media coco or peat?

1 Like

I have a worm “pile” under a large Pecan & Redwoods…they get all kinds of goodies and i’m sitting on a yard & a half of finished vermicompost that’s too hot to use much of…(need a soil test). The current pile is about 2 yards & moving slower than the first batch. Biggest difference was the second pile has much less decomposed wood fibers than the first, and some ammonium sulfate in it(was trying to get that s.o.b. to cook & gave up, fed to Larry. :bug:

The plan was to use it as a soil ingredient but it’s either excessive, deficient, or both and seems to perk up unhealthy landscaping plants. The pH is almost 9. :confused:

my cheapskate/impoverished-ass needs a proper lab test, but i really would like the “soil food web” biological tests on top of a chemical analysis.

oh well. :slight_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

coco with some brown leaves and a can or dirt from the compost pile.

3 Likes

Why do you think it’s hot? Vermicastings can go right on the most delicate of plants it’s natures most superb balanced fertilizer. Compost that intended for the worm bin doesn’t need cooked IMO, and any ammonia sulfate added to bedding I’d advise against it! Unless I’m reading this wrong let me know please!

5 Likes

…or so i thought too, TT, but then i used mine and burned plants. Watched them go pale also. After measuring an 8.5-9 pH in my worm-pile & describing that plant response to some grow-store 'heads who confirmed the phenomenon. I’ve read “What goes in the worm is concentrated in NPK 5-7-11 as worm-poo”, …so if they eat a bland diet their castings are harmless & mild, but if they eat rich year-old StuperSoil, fermented kelp meal, etc., then the castings are potentially excessive in (I guess) K/Potashium. All plants top-dressed with it respond with growth but a lightening of leaves(aka pH 7.5+). It should get the notable mention of causing what i considered a gone-er of a hedge to respond explosively. (there must be some unicorns at my local horse stable!!!)

accepting monopoly money & extinct paper currency(e.g. rhodesia, carthage, etc)

:evergreen_tree: :unicorn: :moneybag:

4 Likes

Hmmm with Ph that high I wouldn’t even think worms could tolerate that , being Ph is log of 10, that means 9ph is 100 times more alkaline than at 7 just my theory but maybe their more hardier in extreme soils than one thinks combined that with potential salts I’d think you would have worm die off

‘…does it go to Eleven?’:loud_sound::guitar::laughing:

Evidently a high pH in the worm bin is helpful to get rid of mites & other 'chit. When I had an indoor bin to get started that was helpful, but even better was using cantalope pieces as “traps” or bait, then washing the mites off in the sink & re-use a few times. (my bin had waaaay to many red mites)

Another thought on your last comment is that it’s the cast-off, excrement, which the worm moves away from or even pushes out of a burrow…(?)

(also, tolerances will likely vary with species for pH, temp, etc.)

:evergreen_tree: loves the wormies

3 Likes

I like mites in my worm bins there predatory and keep those damm fungus nats in check… if course mine more than likely come from my compost I also run through the bed … depending on what worms ya have reds are not considered burrowing types they go down to poop and do there mating and feed in the top portion European worms will burrow and work the bottom of your bins and probably go to surface for waste removal blues haven’t used them but sound interesting are another composting worm probably not as hardy I think they come from Africa if I remember right!

3 Likes

Agreed!!!

I read as much as I could find and it seems there’s some debate about the mites & worms co-habitating…with the minority? believing them detrimental to worms. I suspect they are harmless but they are large enough to “threaten” freshly hatched spawn(based on size). OG needs a resident entomologist (in addition to chemical & electrical engineers, experienced (home)builders, etc.) :wink:

As far as my collection of species, I purchased worms twice, unhappily(got free fungus gnats YAY!), then discovered my property has a huge endemic/native population of … “California red wigglers” and several others. I harvested about 10lb. with my hands and a plastic salad fork or smoothed pencil 2 winters ago…by now I should have a solid 100lb. in there, acc’d to all the “hype”, but who f’n knows. Larry’s busy for another year anyway. :bug: <— Larry

:evergreen_tree: <— is near the CA capitol… DUH. :thinking:

7 Likes

The place I get bulk horse shit for my mushrooms is loaded with red wigglers and night crawlers, I get the red wigglers by the handful getting poo. So I carry a bucket for both now, they all go to my compost pile at home…but after reading through here I’m gonna DIY myself a worm bin and grab a few of my wigglers and get started on my herd…hey @argo945 …c’mon buddy, I’m outa my depth here…give me the 411 on how to get started right brother…I’ll send you all kinda edible mushrooms for you kindness and help :wink:

6 Likes