Lifespan Flower-triggering for pure Sativas?

The real seed company sudan flowers after 6 weeks according to Angus. Then 12 weeks of flowering. It doesn’t have to be Moroccan genetics , I’m just stating the possibility. Since King Solomon allegedly gave the Moroccan people their weed, if true, I guess it could come Israel or Sinai originally. Certainly these traits could develop Elsewhere on their own as they did in Morocco for whatever reason in their particular climate.

5 Likes

Madagascar and the Reunion Islands(zamal) have genetics that are possibly related, with a similar word being used for weed. Jamal vs. Zamal. Both places were visited by Arabic Traders, austronesians, Indians, French, and others. Their genetics May reflect that mix.
It sounds to me like the Sudan landrace flowers regardless of daylight after 6 weeks of growth, continuing for 12 weeks of flower. Will know for sure after this summer. Terpenes include licorice, which I smelled in the Moroccan landrace. Also supposed to be known
in the Durban landrace, which was one other one I had heard could Autoflower. That could be a clue to a relation between them all. Trading 2000 years ago occurred throughout the Mediterranean and the Red Sea connected the Sinai to the east coast of Africa. Perhaps one of the phenotypes came from a semi autoflowering relative in its lineage. Some day testing will tell us for sure, but for now I follow the clues.

5 Likes

keep us updated for the Sudan!

there can be explonations made for Flowering based on certain things. Its the want for Survival.
In northern Spheres, the exact tactic is to flower when days get short, cause it matches always when it gets cold.
This type of explonation is not like unaccepted, alltho not prooven if i believe, but widely accepted.
In morocco alltho a different trigger, its is same Explonation: want for surviaval. Everytime there comes a droughtphase in May , the plants react to it and finish flower. Im not shure if you could rather call it stressresponse, as drought is stress. Well its probably all the same: the Want for survival, and stress also one of the triggers.
Some Regions have rather this trigger, some rather an other.

Around the equator, the reason could be speculated. possibly its that if they leave the shortday-season, the deeply known trigger for dayhours stood in the way, it prevented plants often to finish IF they planted not in exact right time. So, some plants learned (just theory) to react to their Problematic caused by the ancient Daytimetrigger, wich is to not use the longer days to flower aswell, and etablished a secoundary trigger like say age. Secoundary trigger would be namely: when flowers are nearly finished, its always flowering time despite any dailight-hours.

Just a theory.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the Sudan… closest thing I found to an equatorial Autoflower . Terpenes( licorice, anise, citrus)do suggest a connection with Durban, Moroccan and Sinai, so it may not have evolved independently. Either way, it will show if it is possible. I wonder how long an auto flowering trait could possibly stay with a landrace once it’s moved out of its home?

This would be sweet!

3 Likes

but many equatorials are to my knowledge not autoflower in their climate, or am i wrong. You seem to think that they are , but from what i heard theyre normally not. you confuse me abit .
And i have to clear up: At 10 degree latitude (bankok) there they have 6 Month shordays 6 monts Long Days

Closer to the equator say at 0 Latidude the Sunmovement overrunns the North-Sud Axis, and im bit confused also here if they therefore would have double the Amount of short-long Changes?? And therefore more likely have autoflowering Plants grown at their Homeplace.?

I then looked up the daylighthours, and saw no doubled amount of long-day shifts at 0 latitude, but yeah, thais to my knowledge dont autflower very often at their Home like you seem to think. hmm.

Lets hope some do, and lets hope they do it even at our climate, until we have proove, thats what i doo.

2 Likes

No, I think your average equatorial sativa is not an Autoflower. I think they are extremely rare if they do indeed exist, which I have heard they do. I think some or even most equatorial sativas have a flowering time like you are talking of in their home climate,a lifespan flower trigger, but if we were to grow them in our climate it would be different. It is my hope though that we can find a true autoflowering tropical equatorial that will flower at our latitude regardless of the time of year. That would be a dream come true. Snowhigh may have found one of these, or he may have figured out something else I dont know. My personal experience is that my 8-week hybrid will start to reveg after the harvest season within 4 weeks of getting long days( 18/6). A normal equatorial sativa is more photosensitive, and requires much less daylength to stay in veg mode, which for me and you, due to our long summer days limits us to just a couple different months of the year. Hoping for a Snowhigh link to see what he did.

4 Likes

lifespan triggered flower is acording someon who lived in thailand not the normality, probably at 0 Latitude, but not in Thailand.
he said they respond always to Daylenght

2 Likes

This is from an article Fowler wrote for Skunk magazine:

Some strains are equatorial as either a pure line or a hybridization of an equatorial line. This basically means the genetics for a given strain are accustomed to more of 12 hours of light and 12 hours without light since its geographical location of origin is in proximity to the equator.

Strains that are equatorial are Colombians, Panama strains, Congolese basin strains, and some in close proximity that act like equatorial lines from South East Asian strains such as Thai and Cambodian to name a few.

Also, it should be known that these strains are less sensitive to photo period and mature more from genetic markers than lack of light period. A good rule to go by is to veg an equatorial strain from seed at least 60 days to preferable 90 days from germination to allow a more mature plant to flower. Allowing the equatorial strain to mature more before flower will allow for larger yields and shorten the flower time.

I’ve talked to him quite a bit about how he grows out his pure sativas. I’ve never grown one out, so I’ve been picking his brain a little.

He starts the seeds by soaking for 12 hours, then sowing in 20oz styrofoam cups. He says he likes those because they’re 6 1/2 inches deep, which gives the taproot plenty room to grow before the cotyledons emerge.

He doesn’t transplant until the roots have colonized(?) :upside_down_face:, all the soil. Then he moves up to a 1/2 gallon, lets the roots colonize all the soil, and so on. That’s how he’s able to veg them for 3 months and not have them get huge.

His lighting schedule in veg is different. He goes 12 on, 5 1/2 hours off, 1 on, 5 1/2 off. He says that one hour of light will keep them from flipping to veg until they’re ready to flower, and 12 hours of light is what they’d normally get on their home turf.

He uses a 10 1/2 on, 13 1/2 off light cycle in flower. He says that’s the “sweet spot” for those types of strains.

He told me that, based on what he’s seen firsthand, pure equatorial landrace, and landrace hybrids do not mature based purely on photoperiod. They’ll flower under 12/12 from seed, but they’ll never reach their full potential. He says they’ll perform far better if they’re vegged 60-90 days. :vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

14 Likes

I’ve grown several equilateral strains, and one thing is that they always seem to take longer to show gender. I’ve had several Panama plants that i got from Snow, sprouted outdoors in May, that wouldn’t even start flowering until late October. I don’t know if it is a form of auto from being so close to the equator and getting such constant sun, or if they have just adapted to take a torturously long time in all stages of growth, but they do seem to take longer to not only finish flowering, but to get to the point where it starts to go into flower.

7 Likes

I believe this is the article I read in the past. It really sucked me in. Also, see the part down a ways about flowering.

It just goes to show that certain strains “remember” how to survive in their environments. If that applies to more than one of these strains, it would be hard to prove without genetic testing if these strains are related or not. They could have just learned how to survived and passed it on to previous generations due to different stimuli in their environment. It could be several strains, with similar “memories”.

10 Likes

Neat Article. We have alot to learn about plants, and from plants.

3 Likes

We have so much to learn about them for sure. So much of it is still just a best guess, or how it’s always been done. They are amazing for sure.

4 Likes

Thanks Badger, i enjoyed that link Alot, still need to finish reading.

3 Likes

Well, i got good News:

I found a Zamal Growreport from a “Vibes Collective Member”, he sais it started flowering in Mai or Juni.
Another member replied then, said he had same Line, and also flowered in Summer for him, even in F3.

here the Pics (not my Pics):

Also another Person replied and said the Line “Mangu Carrot - French Touch Seeds” flowered aswell during summer…

9 Likes

And thats same Plant 2 Months later , start August:

Im flipping! Loks as it kept producing flowers. One of them speculated it could be used to flower tropicals during Summer when Sun is strong… Imagine it.

I think i may know where to get this Line showed in Pics, if anyone would want to research that Charaktereistic. I said MAY. Just PM me .

Wohoooo

9 Likes

Nice to see pictures of one autoflowering. I had heard zamal could do that.

4 Likes

Have always wanted the Mango Carrot zamal, but they don’t ship here :sob:

USC used to offer a Double Zamal, too. @Cristalin any chance you would happen to know where someone could come across some pure zamal these days?

5 Likes

@Worcestershire_Farms

I’ll make double zamal soon but i have a lot of work … I think you can find pure zamal, i’ll check into the seeds reserve if i have it.

Thx :pray:

Best regards

8 Likes

Darwin said natural selection doesn’t necessarily favor the strongest, smartest or fastest, but the most adaptable to change, or words to that effect. Like us (humans), cannabis has adapted to live (and thrive) on every continent, except Antarctica.

2 Likes

Was just looking for more info on the Thaifun Horizon because I just got a pack of BlueHemp repros made by Apeorigin. If you’re still looking, there’s a chance of running them. Planning to do an outdoor grow next season (2023) so I can keep you posted on the autoflower-or-not part.

3 Likes