Light placement questions!

I’m remodeling my grow room into an 8x8x8 with Panda film walls and these lights are what I have to work with, the old school mars hydro 2 and an hlg 320 watt deal. My questions are how far should they be from the wall(2 ft?) and how far should they be from each other?
Mars Hydro
Led Kit 1

5 Likes

download a simple PAR meter for your phone to check your spread and hang them around 1-2 feet apart to start. Use the par app to check your light levels and move around appropriately until you find where you need them.

As for the walls, 2feet would be my minimum distance.

When I ran older lights like that I ended up with all 3 of mine side x side x side to get the light levels I needed in a 4x4.

5 Likes

Yes I’d recommend Photone if you’ve got an iPhone.

I wouldn’t trust that Mars II to be true to numbers at all.

2 Likes

I’m about 12 - 16 inches, with my GLA boards, from the walls.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if my pic will help you, this a shot of my middle flower area.
I’m a Panda nut, so be prepared for my simple minded ways of doing things LOL!

This shows the distance from my LED’s to top of the plants. I’m around 75% on the dimmer dial.

Best of luck in your grow JerBear!!

3 Likes

A couple pics of my progress. 2 sides have panda film hung, backwall and front(with a 3 ft door) still to do. Upgraded to a 30 amp breaker for running the humidifier, fans and lights.

2 Likes

Looking GREAT JerBear!! My panda area, is not nearly as well made as your is.
I made my self a silly panda film cutting set up.

Between my Power Shot stapler, this Plier stapler, and some wood screws, was pretty much it.
I did make square sturdy carboard pieces, to staple through them to panda, over just stapling the panda…but mine is hanging also.
I really like the way you made yours.

I do still one tent, it’s dedicated to 18/6, as once they leave the nursery, that is the first move they make, for my perpetual cycle.
If you have any questions, I can answer, feel free to.

2 Likes

Sure wish I’d had the room for a cutting board like that, made the mistake of ordering 8’x48’ so I had to lay it out on the floor, measure and cut and this ol man struggles to get back up lol. This mornings progress, still need to patch 2 corners but the lights are hung.

3 Likes

Damn nice work!! Did I say how much I love panda film? LOL!!

@MarsHydro care to sponsor this next grow with a new light? That old Mars Hydro 2 is an ungainly beast.

2 Likes

Sadly MH ditched OG a few months back. :cry:

Mayhap ask @PhlizonGrowLight as they also make solid fixtures with great chips at a good price.

1 Like

anyone run a HPS bulb or MH bulb with old skool ballast still if so I have a question??? I have a 600 HPS bulb that I got cheap pretty much free can I run a 600 watt bulb in a 1,000 watt ballast

I wouldn’t put a 600w bulb in a 1000w ballasts, I’d expect it to light up but i wouldn’t expect it to last long.

2 Likes

May be fine in a digital ballast, as mine have various % settings.
A mag base, maybe, at worst it just blows a dark spot in the bulb, and RIP.
I’ve always mated the proper bulb to the proper ballast I’d use.
I put together so many HID lights from maintenance kits, or buying the parts and then assemble them in my basement, for the 80% reduction in cost, over buying a 1K set up, for $800.00, when I first got started.
It is so easy now! LOL!

1 Like

What kinda lights are you currently running? My next upgrade will be better lighting.

1 Like

If ur talking to me 600w MH bulb an a 1,000w HPS bulb