Lion's automated grow and DIY lab

Hello OG!!! I’ve been missing this place so much!!!

Good thing I was remembered by a friend here and tagged, so… Here I am to share my last 2 years evolution and the projects that was a lot in one plate and it made me been away from here for a while.

My grow has dominated 2 rooms of my house so space is not the main problem anymore.

I got 2 LED 120W that died by lack of attention, plugging them straight into the socket without the driver, so LIGHTS is the main enemy right now, :rofl:

In my veg tent I have 2 new mother plants:

• 1 ICC#5 from @TestOfOath , definetely my favorite strain… i’ve been runing this strain for the last 2 years with space between them to don’t risk getting sick of this marvellous treat.
  • 2 Wonder Pie from green house seeds… It was a toast from spannabis… i already cracked one seed of her before… and she has a weird trace that which we’ll get to later.

I also have in the same place some clones ready to bloom from:
3 - Pinneaple Chunk from Barney’s Farms
4 - Cookies Gelatto from Royal Queens Seeds
5 - Mac 'n Crack from SeedStockers Superior
6 - Amnesia from SeedStockers
7 - and the last Crocket Tangies, that I got here from @Oldjoints (:fire:)

The tangie I’ve been growing it with no pauses and now im sick of it… I cant smell it anymore… I think I need a break of citrous stuff for a while hahahaha but it is definitely fire! Everyone from my social circle asks me about this one… it is the “Public’s choice” hahaha

In my flowering room I have 18 plants, all clones from the old mothers
Pinneapple Chunk, Amnesia, Mac n Crack, Pineapple Chunk and Cookies Gelatto

Later I can get better pics from them because its night time for them.

Im planning reduce the number of strains together… it have been a struggle to keep all plants healthy with 1 reservoir per plot.

On flowering we have 2 plots:
One in the 7th week of bloom
and the second on 4th week of bloom.

My plan is add a plot every month and harvest a plot every month from that room.

I still have a deficit of light… on flowering room I have 4 QB 120W UV IR , 2 of them 3500K and 2 3000K…

I need double this number but i gonna do it slowly because money is not left over.

Last year I also opened a company in Brazil to produce hydroponic systems and extractions machines… our market is starting and we already have more than 5.000 people allowed to grow cannabis legally in brazil by the supreme court … and the number is growing… we also have some associations opering with medicinal products… the spark has been light up.

And https://deepgarden.ai/ was another project that consume all my time those months…

We made a agriculture precision controller with and AI behind of it to learn about the optimal ranges for each genetic and learn by users and experts inputs to reduce risk and get better results.

Our official beta gonna happen in jan/24… It would be a honor to have some OG friend’s feedbacks.

I back later with more pics and details!!

Good to be here again !! I love this place :heart:

:man_farmer: :brazil:

29 Likes

9 Likes

When I grew the Green House Seeds Co’s Wonder Pie first time, I tought I got an tospovirus on it.
If I’m not wrong I’ve documented the entire cycle on my last growing diary.

This time, another seed, and the only plant which has this traces on the leafs is wonder pie.
Could be a mutation in a entire plot ? Or maybe just a weak plant against this specific virus transmited by thrips and it gets infected again while the other plants doesnt show any trace of tospovirus.

Could the plat bring a virus throught its DNA ? lol

Where are our expert botanic fellows to help this humble gardener to understand his love.

Happy growing OG
:man_farmer: :brazil: :heart:

3 Likes

My veg room has the followign setup:
620W LED Quantum Board IR+UV 3000K & 3500K
Air conditioner
3x 60L reservoirs

Its been a struggle to keep all plants helathy while the cookies looks Healthy and the mac 'n crack has some excess traits but we must to chose one for now to be healthy once they are sharing the same reservoir.

Next cycles I gonna make plots of the same strain. Then one reservoir gonna be per strain and it will be easier to keep all plants healthy.

Cookies Gelatto by Royal Queen Seeds

Mac N Crack by Seedstockers Superior

4 Likes

Hi @LionsNaughtyBeans, great to see your gardens! Many plants, lots of worries, lol. I might have some sort of virus too. I’m going to get rid of the mother plant. More and more clone producers here with reasonable prices so I can leave the burden of keeping mothers with them. Only keeping mothers of my oen selections.

Good luck with your projects!

1 Like

Here IS my lab, where i pass most of my time playing a crazy scientist! :rofl:

2 Likes

Im working on a automatic watering for my mother plants

I gonna use two pumps 12v RS-385.
One for fertigation and another to keep the solution inside the reservoir mixed…
I also using a programmable timmer in loop… so, i gonna turn the relay on my lights timer… once its on, my programation start running… 10 minutes on (approx. 300ml per vase) and 3-4 hours off… I need test it to calibrate well.

once the fertigation is off, the energy will be sent to the mixing pump… idk if the pump will resist that much time on… Im already have other 4 reservoir using this pump and Im also using it for discard the table’s runoff… its already got clug many times… my next project is a filter but I think for the reservoir just a second pump will avoid my drippers to getting clugged.

I think because the solution stays stall, the minerals decant and turn into micro grains and it may be the cause of my drippers clug.

everything will be plugged on lights timer, so, the fertigation AND the mix will happen only when the lights is on…

I gonna work around this project to improve it but for the v0.0.1 i think its gonna be functional.

Today im using one sonoff for all irrigation and some plants are drinking more than others, so im trying to develop some cheaper solution and maybe turn it in a product in the future.

1 Like

The electronics are ready! I’ve left one of these pumps on for more than 3 days and it’s not that hot, so I think it will work… The question is for how long.

These bombs cost around US$2 or R$11, so they’re very worthwhile for prototyping.
Those of you in North America may be able to find them cheaper than us.

Aliexpress rs-385 diaphragm pump

and the timer relay costs around US$ 6 or R$ 30.
Aliexpress Time Relay

I still need to figure out how to delay 1 hour for the energy to be released, as I don’t want to water immediately when the lights are turned on. 1 hour later is what I’m doing using sonoff. The ideal scenario would be if we could turn on the mixer pump for an hour first and then start the programmed cycle.

Can anyone with some knowledge of electronics shed some light?

These pumps can easily fertigate 6 pots with 2 drippers of 2 L/h each pot, but with more than that, like 8 to 12 pots, we can see some pots receiving more water than others, even with the self-compensating drippers… that’s the limit of the pumps, I think.

The 2 L/h drippers are getting clogged all the time… that’s why I’m adding a second pump to the system. To try to make the solution more aerated and homogeneous

1 Like

I’m also working on a filter to put inside the reservoir at the end of the pump inlet hoses. I’m going to print the piece below using PLA and fill it with plush… that nylon stuff.

The red one is for the system, with 2 pumps, and the orange one is for one pump and im gonna put it on my runoff pump. thats also gets clog all the because some coco coir that pass trough the drain… but now the drain also has some plush on the hole so, maybe I can get some peace of mind for some days

2 Likes

My runoff colector. It hás a level sensor tô keep some solution in there to I can measure. Its been unusefull while i have plants in different stages and strains at the same table but at least the discard of the runoff its not a daily task anymore.

3 Likes

Hiya Lion cool set up man you have 2 rooms? I wish lol! I’m low tech sorry can’t help you there, but just want to say awesome work on the company sounds like 2024 will bring some positive changes, and the plants look great :+1::sunglasses::green_heart:

2 Likes

@HealingHerb Hey buddie!! Thanks for coming ! Yes man, it has been 2 years Im working on those automation projects for indoor growing… This year I quit my job and focusing 100% of my time on it. Lets try to live of we love. haha

Thanks for the vibrations my man! I hope to see you around here often!

Backing to the flowering table, here is how I made the runoff:

I am testing small pots of kind of 3.5L. I used to use 7L pots but my cycles is pretty short, like 1 month of veg and its already been thrown to bloom, so I tough I was using too much cococoir… so the two new plots with vases of 7L cutted on middle. But the plants which is on tiny pots has this trait on their leafs:

Could be rootzone begging for more space, maybe?

I am watering there 6 time per day, getting ± 10%-15% of runoff in each watering.
Im using Plant Prod 7-11-27 with calcium nitrate, magnesium sulphate, potassium monophosphate and calcium sulphate from the fifth week onwards.

Some times I make and foliar spray with algaum extract, EM-5 and Diatomaceous earth.

I could notice some white-flys on my plants, so yesterday, even in the flowering, I applied a Diatomaceous and EM-5 to try to keep them out of my ladies. You can see the diatomaceous white spots on the pictures below:

3 Likes

Looks very busy mate quitting my job to concentrate on automated growing is a dream lol. Wow 6 times a day you’d need automation I’d reckon! I foliar spray with labs in veg and use organic inputs where I can. I’ve seen some awesome plants grown in little pots I’m currently running 2 gal/8 litre fab pots in a 2x2.

Keep up the good work bud :+1:

2 Likes

When I changed to cococoir I had a lot of mistakes because all my experience came from hydro.

Studying a little bit I could notice the coco need much more water… When I ran my aeroponic, one reservoir of 32L was perfect for 6-8 plants and I just need to add water once in a week. Watering once in a day was a mistake… I tried to make multi watering by hand but my lights is on when its night here to avoid higher temperatures so, automation was the only way to keep the quality.

Now on coco, I have 4 reservoir of 60L each, 3 for flowering room with 3 “plots” in different stages, one for Veg and another one of 30L only for mothers… and I need to fill it twice in a week… when it is reaching the final bloom I already had to fill tree times… and always 10%-20% of runoff to avoid concentrate minerals on the medium. The plants is not burning the tips by overferting as is happening before.

I dont like the idea of wasting water in this way… but in my city the energy is quite unstable so aeroponics is a risk and for dwc system I need to build a chiller because I live in a tropical country… our temperatures here is almost always above 20ºC and this temperature can be harmfull for rootsphere in DWC cultures. I already got root rot multiple times and needed to change the plant to cococoir in a attempt to save it.

I still working on my aeroponic system… I sold one system for a friend for 4 pots… and we are using a 12v 120psi pump in there… I adviced him to buy that no-break for computers, it can keep te watering for more than 24h in case of out of energy. On aero, 1h with no energy means your plants gonna die.

I am liked the improvement the multi watering has made on my grow, but I still need to improve my lights setup… slow and ever :rofl:

About tiny pots, I only noticed that leaf’s side curling up… but idk if it is related to the size of the pot. The plants is vigorous as the 7L and I dont need to waste that much water and buy much less cococoir, so, if the experience goes well, I gonna cut all my 7L pots into 3.5L pots and leave only the mothers on big ones, because my rounds is quite fast… cut clone, 7 days in aero-cloner, 15 days rooting, 15 days veg and already throw 'em to bloom. So let’s see if they gonna ask for more space.

2 Likes

Purple them, air conditioner!!!

2 Likes

Last week :hocho:

2 Likes