Loner’s DIY Octo Grow

Decided to put together a journal of my next run.
(GLG Freebies Obtained from @Grohio)
2-Dead head x Dragons blood HP
SCROG setup
2- DIY Octo-pots
Gen Hydro FloraNova series nutes
2x Vipar 600w full spectrum lights
3x3 tent
4 inch infinity cloud fan (exhaust)
Passive intake

Plants went from rooted clones straight into the octo’s. The left is starting week 3 and roots are booming!

The right is starting it’s 2nd week and already has some small roots starting to show on bottom.

I’ll keep the thread updated with any changes or significant development. Feel free to chime in with any input. Looking forward to sharing and learning with you all.

23 Likes

Sweet setup there. Your octopots look different, did you make them? If so I’d love to know more about your design…

Have you run this strain before? I’m guessing you need to veg for a while to fill that space!

5 Likes

Hi @Loner I’m playing with some octos too. Excited to see how yours do. They look pretty good for diy!! I’ve also liked the glg freebies I’ve tried. Good shit😀

5 Likes

Thanks @beacher. I’ve been slowly building building my set over the years adding and removing. Actually I did make them. It’s a super simple design really.ylu can source all the items at local grow shops for under 10 bucks usually.
5 gal bucket (local grow shop)
Net pot lid for bucket (bigger the better)
fabric pot
A little bit of hydroton or fish tank racks

Fill the bottom 1/2” of the net pot with hydroton and then cut out the bottom of you fabric pot and make the sleeve. I would suggest using a very light airy soil. Jetdros mix works great for me at this point.

4 Likes

I’m pretty excited as well… I’ve got some BOHDI black lotus beans I’m going to run in the octo’s once I get the system dialed in.

5 Likes

Clever design there, very effective with easy to find parts. Looks like you have drain valves installed on the bottoms too?

Do you find they behave like the commercial octopots, ie the plants drink tons and the only work is keeping the reservoirs topped up?

I’m really fascinated with octos, and yours are the nicest diy ones I’ve seen :+1:

6 Likes

I like to see the roots like that. Keep it OG.

3 Likes

Looken good cuz! What size bags are you using on your homemade octos? I forgot you made those. Lol

3 Likes

Using 3 gallon bags with the bottoms cut out and cut up the side. I wrap them in the net pot to mimic the octo sleeve. Then I put hydroton in the bottom about 1/4-1/2 inch then add soil on top of that

4 Likes

Not too much going on in the tent this week. I’ve had them pinned down to help with the SCROG. I plan to add water ports on top of the buckets and install long funnels to help with water in the later stages. Also plan to come up with a bobber system for water level reference. Then I’m going to add the screen and we can watch it fill up. I will post some updated pics when I make the improvements and add the screen.

BE SAFE OUT THERE OGs

5 Likes

Welp I got bored. Added the Water ports and the screen today. Gonna grab a couple long funnels to help water the girls when the screen gets full. Wish I had a bigger tent but I make do. I’ll update the pix when they start to fill in.

8 Likes

Well the girls are starting to spread out in the screen. I’m thinking 1 more week of tucking and I’ll flip them. This strain has a decent amount of stretch to it so I’m planning to fill the screen with tucking and flip then let her stretch up. From past exp with this strain I’m guessing about 12-16” stretch maybe a tad bit less. Here is a pic of my last DHXDB harvest

and a couple of the girls all spread out all sexy like ready to make some dank fuckin nuggets!

Added some water level markers to the pots. The roots a going crazy big ol white gnarly bitches. I wish I woulda took pics before I mounted the screen.
I just used 2 pipets.
Cut one at the 1ml mark shove the other into it and boom perfect water bobber.

For anyone making DIY OCTOS Octo sells the replacement sleeves on their eBay site 50.00 for a 6 pack.

I’m not receiving much feed back. I am getting lots of love but I’d prefer honest opinions. Thanks for checking out my thread. Be safe out there OG’rs

7 Likes

Well it seems I’ve ran into some trouble. Currently dealing with this… the growth has slowed and the leaves are drooping badly on new growth. Stems are becoming somewhat woody and redish brown

Both plants are on the same nute regimen (1/4 strength Genhydro Veg and calmag@full strength)

Really need some feed back here guys. This has happened to the last couple grows and I’m just not sure what it is. Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated my friends

5 Likes

Hey bud I’m no octo pro but I remember being told only leave them 1/2 full till roots take off but looks like they’ve been liking it and have grown a lot. Is the bag dry not a wet root issue? Maybe take few more pics.

3 Likes

I’ve only been keeping the Rez half full and the bags are both dry. I’m thing this has to be nute related but I could be wrong.

3 Likes

I think @Grohio might have some insights here…

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Already got him on the job.

1 Like

Actually i dont know shit about octos! @Jetdro or @Papalag are both running the octos. Im just using the soil recipe and nute regimen.

2 Likes

Maybe @ifish has some ideas. He a fart smeller.

3 Likes

I’ve never used this method as a growing medium so the only advice would have for you is to start with PH and go from there. Make sure your ph pen is accurate and calibrated correctly. If that’s in check I would probably advise just plain ph adjustment water for a few days.

4 Likes