Long-flowering hazes in small pots - bad idea?

I decided to embark on my latest grow with the idea of flowering plants in 1 gallon pots in soil medium.

I’ve read the Who Uses 1 Gallon Pots? thread here in addition to other info sources about this approach (more frequent feedings, avoiding getting rootbound in a bad way, flushes mixed in with feedings to thwart lockout) and feel up to the challenge but have a question.

Among the plants I’ll be growing are 2 hazes that could flower 100+ days. I’m unsure about using 1 gallon pots for these given the long flowering time combined with the increased watering needs of smaller containers and am thinking these should be grown in larger containers. Should I use larger ones to flower these?

I’ve previously flowered a plant 102 days in a 3 gallon pot with no issues.

6 Likes

I’ve done 14 weeks in 2 gallons

8 Likes

Let me turn on the @upstate signal. He knows a thing or two about growing small plants.

8 Likes

I just finished a 15 week run in 2.5 gallon pots with 5 foot plants. Daily watering was a must and if I was in better shape physically I would have watered them twice daily. Using Roots Organic original soil.

10 Likes

Some keep them in small pots for the duration of the stretch phase to keep them manageable then uppot in time for bulking.

12 Likes

Priceless :laughing:

4 Likes

I think 2 gallons fabric pots are the best option to control height but avoid root bound … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

It’s like the bat signal, but a 5 leaf plant in the sky, to call in a sativa master? :joy:

3 Likes

My 2 gallons worked well but they were plastic, did not help with stretch and were a solid mass of roots by the end.

5 Likes

That’s why I specified “fabric”, root pruning, more aeration, easier transplanting, no overwatering, you should try them one day … beer3|nullxnull

7 Likes

Honestly I just don’t like them.

6 Likes

That’s a good reason indeed … :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve got other real reasons but ultimately they just don’t suit me.

4 Likes

I only want to convince the OP, I know you stand firm in your principles … sumo|nullxnull

5 Likes

I don’t like that they need watering so often, or that when you do water a dry plant, the water seeps out the sides and onto the floor, but those roots sure enjoy fabric. My plants are healthier for longer in fabric. Game changer for Sativas.

:facepunch::boom::fist_left::anger::fist_right::boom::boom::anger::rofl::joy::rofl: holy cannoli I just had some great flashbacks lol. I was sitting on my oma and papa’s living room floor with my cousin, a bag of doritos and some mint chocolate chip ice cream for a moment there. Good memories.
@3rd_i Consider transplanting into a larger container about two thirds of the way through your run. Maybe around day 60 of flowering or so… or Whenever the stretch is slowing down

7 Likes

I did my entire Jalico :mexico: Landrace co-up seed-run in 1 gallon pots lol. It was a 11-13 week run (I don’t remember) in flower but I went to 12/12 after 14 days from soaking the seeds.

Just make sure you alot 15min a day to check/water them and you’re golden.

:v:

3 Likes

I’ve tried the 3 gallon with great success, but the 2’s are on my to do list.
@Pigeonman Nice job with those in the one gallon containers. That was great for a seed run, But I think yield would be better going into a larger container after the stretch.

3 Likes

Great, with 2 gallons compared with 1 you have more options to keep it that way instead of transplanting, 1 gallon forces you more, 3 gallons are my final pot, no need for more in an indoor run if you want to have things under control… beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

100%.

It was “my first time” doing full blown sativas so I was over cautious!

2 Likes

I could live with never growing a sativa.

2 Likes