TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Day 10

Getting some algae growth on my medium. Possibly aftermath from my dirty res, or the fact they got more to eat now that I’ve upped my ppm.

I upped my dosage of pool shock to 2x the recommended, letting the coco dry out today then shocking the whole system tomorrow.

What to do with the algae already on the surface? Leave it, scrape it up, spray with h2o2?

7 Likes

Day 11

Some problems. Somehow my light wasn’t on when I woke up this morning. It was supposed to go off at 2am and on at 6am but today at 10am it was still off. Last time I checked it was at 8pm last night so I have no idea how long the lights were off.

They were transpiring quite heavily and that caused alot of wrinkles and dog eared leaves.

Sucks, hopefully they bounce back from these week 1 issues. I hit them with a nice long pool shock cycle today to hopefully break down and kill this algae that’s forming on my medium and in my reservoir/lines.

7 Likes

Day 11 evening

8 Likes

Day 12

9 Likes

Day 13

Still not drying out the medium. Obviously the big one is using more water so it’s a little lighter but still all 3 are pretty heavy.

I scraped off some algae but it keeps coming back on the surface.

I have an Auto Purple Kush seed that got a nice long tail I’m debating on whether or not to run it alongside these in a 16oz cup or stick with the 3L pots. If I do a smaller pot I’ll have to water more often and since all pots are on the same water pressure… See the dilemma? Lol

9 Likes

Are your drippers adjustable or fixed?

1 Like

Adjustable as in pressure or location? I can and have been moving the dripper head around between waterings, but I haven’t cycled in 48hrs since they are way oversaturated at the moment.

As for pressure to let some get more or less water then no, afaik reducing pressure on one will increase the pressure in all lines. I think I’ll just run this one in the same pots as the other three, as it’s the path of least resistance.

3 Likes

Ah I gotcha. KISS method.

1 Like

Day 14

The biggest plant had dry coco today, I fed that pot and ran the other 3 hoses back into the reservoir. Testing the water it seems the slime is gone for now.

Also wtf is up with this curling and peeling? @Mr.Sparkle said it could be a side effect from the pool shock.

6 Likes

just irregular leaf growth on an older leaf, ignore it as it happens sometimes with these.

3 Likes

@Lucy247420 if your pool shock isn’t working for the algae, I would suggest reading and trying this. . .
https://dengarden.com/gardening/Hydrogen-Peroxide-for-Plants

4 Likes

I always used H2O2 for these issues. This is my first time using the shock so I’m just dialing it in.

I have 30% hydroponic grade H2O2 on hand but am trying to get the same thing done with shock for cheaper with a bit longer staying power than H2O2.

Good news is the slime has subsided in the res (for now) so it looks like the shock is doing its job.

Time will tell :wink:

6 Likes

Missed a wide shot earlier… aka excuse to take more pics. Nothing on #4 yet :confused:

12 Likes

Day 14

And the PK is up but lost a cotyledon. I just can’t catch a break here with #4.

9 Likes

Day 15

11 Likes

Time for a name change!

And to avoid any confusion going forward.

-Ricky :wink:

8 Likes

I’m glad you finally changed it, you didn’t need that baggage😉
Oh, nice to meet you Trevorick Lahey jr the third👋. . .

3 Likes

plants are looking good there Rick…

5 Likes

7 Likes

9 Likes