MACRO Growing with HappyHemper

Some quick updates on the large ladies:

This is the black gojidawg. Over growing the chopped 58gal drum in which she is planted. Calmag hungry.

This is her stalk.

On the left is the cheese quake. Hungry and thirsty. Needs more calmag than is in her food, by a long shot. On the right is peanut butter breath. Seems to be good with less water and less food.

13 Likes

Flower tent got an upgrade - work in progress, but getting there. Not building a room at the moment because we are likely going to move next spring

10 Likes

That’s co2 from a sofa fountain dispenser? The trunk on your monster better fire up the chain saw when she’s ready!

2 Likes

Yessir, a standard 20# tank. I used it when I brewed beer, and now it will transition nicely to the grow space. But not until we move, not building a sealed room in a house that will be sold, so on standby. That’s why I got that exhale bag - curious to see how it does.

I wanted to ask you @ShiskaberrySavior, judging by your name you must like growing shishkaberry. … I have a nice specimen outdoors, will take a bunch of clones and run them inside next. What should I expect in terms of nutrient consumption/stretch/structure/flowering time? Anything extraordinary? I have done blueberry before and she was super sensitive to overfeeding. I’m pretty used to my heavy feeding fast finishers, so any pointers would be super welcome.

3 Likes

Yes grew it for years both the red and yellow lines they thrive being topped medium feeders you can find the odd nitrogen hog not overly fussy like the blueberry average is 54 to 60 days heavy producer buds will need support ,some foxtailing if over done typical fruit/ berry smells and tastes .

Haven’t grew her in a few years now but was a staple for many many years,thc running 14/16 % non tested just my opinion! Makes great fruity hash or squashed dab !

Prone to bud rot in later flowering stages watch closely for dead leaves in a bud remove when spotted or you’ll end up with rot within a week ,somewhat mite resistant.

Anything else ask away!

Stretch 200% if in 5 gal pails and no topping done, average after 3/4 week veg 5 foot finish if topped 4 times

5 Likes

Sorry to butt in here…But have either @ShiskaberrySavior or @HappyHemper ever tried growing Durban Poison? It is an older strain I have some interest in these days…I have been looking to ask someone who has been at this for a bit. Not trying to derail your convo…So apologies ahead of time :slight_smile:

Happy…Your outdoor girls are looking great Mano…Love the tent as well…looks swell.

I will be watching your outdoor finish, with anticipation…

K.

2 Likes

are these on the gas outdoors?! i’ve only seen that done once… :neutral_face:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

No sorry I haven’t grown Durban !

1 Like

@cannabissequoia; no, they are not – the gas was just there. It lives on the patio for when a keg of beer, or Italian soda, may show up. I’ve been off the sauce since February so it will probably migrate to the basement with the ladies, but i need to seal the room, but we may move, so i dunno. TL;DR - it’s just sitting there doing nothing storing gas…

@Kobracom420 - i have not grown the poison either… i’ve had samples of it and my wife really liked it, but not much more than the stuff already in rotation, so never bothered.

@ShiskaberrySavior - thanks very much for the tips! I will be taking cuts next week, will start another grow log i think. I was chatting to the owner of our local hydro store, and he was saying that most of the LPs in the area have put in shiskaberry this year in hybrid greenhouses, so apparently we are to experience an influx of the stuff all over BC, and probably Canada.

What is the difference between the yellow and red varieties?

Happy Sunday folks!

3 Likes

To be honest a buddy of mine in Europe was growing the same seed and had a break down of the 2 different lines he said they were showing both traits from the seeds he planted !
I’ll see if I can locate his notes and post them up .

1 Like

Quick update on the plants. They are mostly starting to droop a bit and leaves are getting smaller - I sense root bound time has arrived. Just as well, they will flower sooner and hopefully stay somewhat manageable.

This is the Black Gojidawg

This is the Cuvee

This is the Cheesequake

This is the Peanut Butter Breath

And last but not least, this is the one I always forget to take a picture of, the Shiskaberry

Just have to keep up on top of them now. I’m due for a top dressing, but will switch to megacrop I think.

Hope promix holds up the drainage with so much root mass…

Cheers,
HH

18 Likes

Did some upgrading to the indoor space. Tired of watering so finally dealt with that in the typical cheap-ass happy fashion.

The controller has interval function and also takes care of my temp and humidity, minimizing ventilation since I am trying co2 in the tent

The rez is a garbage can, for which I built a dolly out of scrap 2x4 and wheels scavenged off something years ago. The $8 Ebay filter strainer inline because good practice.

Inside I simply tied into the yellow line with spaghetti tubing, and built some manifolds out of spaghetti T-taps

Solstrip Rack is doing great. I am truly impressed, the rest of the garden will be switched to this sorcery as budgets allow. Thanks @Baudelaire, I have tasted the koolaid and I like it

All in all, DTW multiple daily feedings, solstrips, co2, and proper temp/humidity control look like my veg time will be cut by a week or better.

Can’t wait to flip this cheesequake.

Cheers,
HH

10 Likes

Update on the exterior plants:

They are growing bigger than I thought

Cheesequake and peanut butter breath

Black gojidawg

I am 6’2" tall with long arms. I can no longer touch the top of this plant

14 Likes

Inside is going pretty well too. This is the large tent, with recently installed solstix rack. The growth rate is phenomenal.

Roots are very much trying to escape the fabric pots

Automatic watering helps a lot. It is amazing how much they actually drink. I am at 3x waterings daily now, and the runoff is just about 10% each time. A 77L garbage can reservoir lasts me 3-4 days.

Solstrips and automatic watering made a huge difference. I thought I was doing well with the 1k and manual feeding, and I was I guess - .6 to .8 gpw, but this so far looks like it will blow my previous records out of the water.

Currently running Megacrop to about 700ppm with about 100ppm calmag. Tried at about 850ppm without calmag, but I saw some intervenial bullshit indicative of calcium issues, so started adding and new growth shows nothing of the sorts. I guess all those who said LED+coco=“calcium whore” were right. My tap water is 20ppm so not much in there. Getting some tip yellowing but very light foliage, so may up the N a bit with a one-part.

This is watering in action. Love it!

Exterior needs a watering…

Cheers,

14 Likes

Amazing! Those are some beasts @HappyHemper. I’m jealous

2 Likes

@Hashtree, the thing was about 2 1/2 ’ tall when I put’er in around late April I think?, topped once. How is the growing season where you are at?

Just promix xp and one part food, you can do it :wink:

3 Likes

It’s going good here, summer finally arrived.

I just have to be a little more discrete at the moment so I keep them small. I look forward to the day I can try my hand at growing some trees like you have in your backyard!

2 Likes

Flipped the big tent, as of last night. Day 1
Megacrop + calmag + bud igniter

Small tent is ready to come down any day now.
Cheesequake mostly, two Peanut Butter Breath on the near right

Cheers,
HH

8 Likes

Wow, looking awesome man! Very interested in that peanut butter breath now that I see this photo !

I’m gonna look into some mega crop, seems like a lot of growers here use it .

3 Likes

@Leaf, this is PBB from that tent

This is CQ

You can see that PBB is a much lighter yielder, but the resin production is out of this world. It also has a bit of CBD in it, so my wife really enjoys it in the evening. I’ve PMd you about the cuts.

Edit: and megacrop is indeed awesome. I put that shit on everything now. Have not tried using it alone in flower yet, as I have lots to run out of, but going that way. In my experience a bit of extra calmag in coco is warranted but plants in promix are doing great on megacrop alone.

7 Likes