Madagascan Sativa test while isolated

I ordered seeds from South Africa and India back on March 20th and have not received them yet. I think Customs is totally screwed right now due to covid. I would wait for things to calm down a bit before I’d think about sending anything. I don’t know about fitting a thousand seeds in a sandwich, but I bought some regular peanut butter and mixed it with jelly for a sandwich, threw in some seeds, and it looked just like crunchy peanut butter. I took a bite before I threw the seeds in to make it look like I was part way through my meal. I did lose a couple seeds in the peanut butter, and I’m sure it’s not very good for them but they survive

4 Likes

thats gold !!!

3 Likes

Photos of the latest bud

The last photos are the citrus mango terp bud

The seed Jail continues lol

16 Likes

@upstate haha that’s brilliant and amusing!

I was more thinking 100 - 300 per package and as many as you can get out just in jiffy bags cause they always travel at different speeds. 10 or so would ensure you get something through if it’s going all over the world then take a roundabout way to whoever doesn’t receive any, you can always put them in DVD or CD cases or Send them with a pair of socks to your “aunty” or a small deer antler to your old pals “son” wink wink nudge nudge haha

Also living the dream of you got a tube or something about four inches wide ish you can maybe just whack it about inside that and see how that goes, a Pringles tube may work.

1 Like

This thread is fabulous, please keep us posted. Mainly growing pure sativas, we have also grown zamal from Reunion Island.

16 Likes

Nice Zamal! Yes this is a great thread! Love learning of new landraces! I’m sure some of those beans will make it to their destination. There’s a bunch!

@Bob13
Haha I nearly spat my rum on somebody …I’m not that committed to get these seeds home

Love Zamal picture @Yaxu , and thank you for the comment

3 Likes

15 days after last update .I’'l try to keep photos to a minimum :wink:
All seedlings in area 1 have been eaten or dug up by small animals
1st up is the Happy accident - handled the wet and cold surprisingly well and shown some strong growth. Happy looks like it could be a male in the making ,Still excited to see how it develops anyway regardless

I relocated the 8 seedlings ( 8/8 germ ) from the planter near my place out into the field … I forgot how to walk while getting them in position and dropped the bucket .In typical Murphy fashion of course it landed upside down .So from 8 - 3 …They look a little beat up by the trauma ,but are recovering nicely

I may be imagining it but 2 look to be slightly different Phenos - I think we can wait until they put on some size before confirming this

Next up is location 2
7/13 seeds germinated , slight differences in leaf shape seen here

the seedling in the center has a slight purple hue on new growth -which is cool

Last today is the most resilient Colombian Gold ever .
This plant has been forgotten /miss treated /neglected in nearly every way and yet still soldiers on regardless . Its about 35 cm tall . maybe around 5 wks in flower .I am actually very impressed by its will to live . I wont be back to this girl for another month maybe as I do not want her to be discovered . She is obviously doing well with out my help . She is a first for me as I have never grown a gold before

hope your day is shiny side up folks ,stay safe and positive everyone

19 Likes

LOL! ha ha! Just saw that​:sweat_smile:! “Black” ops not an option! Boy, ALL those plants are doing just fine by themselves. Tough genes. Nice resiny Col gold. all the Madagascar plants look great! Perhaps a cross is in order? Colombian gold female by Madagascar male? could be a first in the industry. if you need somebody to send some of those beans to I would be happy to oblige.:grin:! would be a shame to leave them behind! Keep on posting!

4 Likes

Thanks @Upstate your feedback is appreciated mate
I think they are doing really well out there , Most of them are planted in a little composted material over the existing soil - I am curious to see how they go once the roots really dig into the native ground in a couple of sites , I have a feeling the condition of the ground may be less than ideal for them to really power on . I am impressed by how they are performing under very ordinary weather the last couple weeks or so , and I agree a cross may be in order at a latter date . you are on my list when I can find a safe way to mail them from here , if not when I get home you can expect a care package .
the Colombian makes me feel like a bad parent - if it was a child they would of taken it off me lol
but she is doing her thing . When I next go out I intend to give them all a light top dressing of a nitrogen fertilizer and some Bat poop , I noticed they were all a little on the light green side , but this is probably just normal for this strain , a little extra goodness should confirm or debunk my theory… The golden girl doesn’t need anything from me ,she looks perfectly happy -so LITFA on that

5 Likes

What temps are you having there lately? Still cold at night? I wonder if low temps can effect nitrogen absorption? I know it effects phosphorus absorption at temps (soil) below 60 i think… ?? Or… it is just their natural color like you say… lets hope so! Light green is an indicator of mold resistance, and your location means this could be the case…I can’t believe how short that Colombian Gold is! Even with the short light cycle I wouldn’t have guessed a tropical plant could remain so small. I have seen pictures from Jamaica and Malawi showing plants this small, and I always thought this must be indicas infecting the local population. I can see now how a tropical plant, growing at the right time of Year, can remain so small. and with all the locals around that’s a good thing! How’s your family doing? This covid mess is really dragging on…you must miss them. At least there is face time these days.

2 Likes

Hi @Upstate
so over the last 2 weeks we have been averaging 15 degrees during the night and then we have been getting around 24’s during the day , most days we have very heavy drizzle over the morning with some days clearing up at midday - maybe 4 hours of good sunshine before the low cloud rolls back in and the drizzle , We have had days where the sun doesn’t break through the cloud layer at all . Today it feels like 10 degrees outside because of the damp air . I would assume the lower temps and damp are certainly impacting the growth of the plants . I have read that some strains are generally lighter in color , but haven’t had a chance to throw down any ferts since my last photos I suppose I will get a better idea when I visit them again … The little gold haha - I did say I abused it . It came up while I was on break ( just stubborn plant - it was a late starter ) it was growing in with a chili plant and 4 tomato plants in a 20 ltr bucket , I had completely forgotten about it by the time I returned and only noticed it when I was harvesting chilies one after noon … Its purely my fault its that size mate . If had planted it out , I am sure it would of been massive ,its a blessing it has only gotten that big IMHO I may get to smoke it , although I am starting to get concerned about budrot - I had a blue dream out in the wild that was 3ft by 3ft and just gorgeous then bam ! locals spotted it and it was no more .
I have an amazing wife who is keeping it together back home and the family is coping really well all things considered .We talk multiple times everyday which helps keep us connected as a family unit , and yes I miss them massively mate . I have been away since Feb and have no idea when I will be able to go home ( this year I hope )

4 Likes

Glad to hear you and your family are well. I can relate to long distances from family, tho not to yr extent. 3 months (or so) is a long time…I hope not much longer for you. If Ny is any indicator, the virus is slowing down and things may begin to open up and move again soon. Was yr area hit at all by the covid? How about back home? It seems the media has blown it out of proportion from where I stand. Kinda like a very contagious flu. They think at least four and a half million New Yorkers have already had it. If that many New Yorkers all caught the flu in the same couple months similar numbers of deaths would have happened. There is an old folks home in Albany New York that has a hundred cases and no deaths.

Ooooh! How? Drought stress? Budding nicely it seems. Do you think that has to do with the light cycle there? It is approaching the shortest day of the year for them on June 21st or 22nd. I wish I could get tropical plants to finish that short outside. I’ve never grown Columbian landraces before but I’ve read about their incredible mold resistance. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that is the case with this little lady you are growing right now. I love mold resistant plants. Where I am any sativa dominant strain has to survive bouts with rain and wind, which role in for the last quarter of flowering if it goes into October. What kind of smells are you getting off of her? Well that’s it for now. I’ve got to be getting back to work. I look forward to seeing how the young ones are performing. it should be over half a foot by now…:hugs:

5 Likes

Hi mate
I totally agree with you on the media side of this whole charade, yes people have unfortunately lost the battle with Corona and this is a sad situation - but has it really required the hysteria peddled by main stream media ? … we have a few cases in this region but I think the low numbers are just Representative of the level of testing which is being done …which is very little in honesty
Oh my poor little golden girl , well she came up after I went away for 4 weeks ( the seed in question must of taken a couple of weeks to pop above ground ) and wasn’t watered very much
she was stuck in a 20ltr bucket with 4 hungry Tomato plants and a rather large chili bush and I think as the new kid on the block was bullied by the other for food . After I returned I had forgotten all about and was only discovered when I happened to walk past 1 day and spot a leaf sticking out from between all the other foliage . I started adding in goodies for her and she picked right up but still struggled in such a confined space ( root wise ) when I did finally get her in the ground the bucket was a solid root mass . I assassinated all the other plants and she has stepped up here game and is now turning from an ugly duckling into a miniature crystal princess in appreciation . I have never grown this strain before ,but I can guarantee her rep as a mold resistance machine will be sorely tested in these conditions …
the Madagascans seedlings should be doing really well and I will sneak away and check them this weekend . I am very curious as to how they are doing now after such heavy mist and damp conditions past 14 days

5 Likes

Thanks for the info on the little gal. If the spotless leaves are any indicator, she may just live up to her legendary name and stay mold free. Where did you get yr seed? Dumb question, but I’m guessing you’ve grown lots of tropical weed?Do you have a favorite? This summer will be my first tropical grow. I’ve gone 12 weeks before, but nothing longer. I have a decent selection to choose from, and I’m having trouble deciding what to try. Maximum flowering time I have is 20 weeks. 16 is better. Leaning towards trying Malawi Gold by Afropips…been dreaming of it for some time now…any input is greatly appreciated. Have you done reproductions for Overgrow? I’m looking for some people to grow out some seeds I’ve picked up to do a seed increase. Do you know anyone that might be interested? Would you be interested once yr settled back in to regular life? Almost everything I picked up is a sativa landrace… Glad to hear you haven’t been brainwashed by the crooked media regarding corona and that it isn’t as bad as they made it seem. REALLY glad you haven’t had to use that extendable baton LOL!

2 Likes

looking forward to seeing the little ones after this bout of rain and fog. Do be careful!

2 Likes

No its not a dumb question at all my friend , I got the seed off a gentlemen on Jorges site ages ago
is it really Colombian gold , pfft I cant really say mate . I stopped growing nearly 26 years ago to focus on my career . Back then it was all bag seed we grew out door , they were definitely Sativa strains with long thin fingers and man could they get big where I grew up lol … out of them all my favorite was a batch of seeds that grew to around 12 feet , took forever to flower and gave us golf ball sized nugs of rock hard stickiness in pounds which was very funky in smell - what was it ?? who knows .
I would love to join you on a seed hunting campaign , My career would make this hard though . I just would not have the time needed to finish it off the way I feel it would need to be …hence the reason for my current journey in Low to no Maintenance outdoor growing - I am never home long enough to make a difference … I spend over 60 % of the year away from home … Is there any body else on hear who can help @upstate out ??? . I will reach out when I get back to civilization and send you a little something to play with mate and we can go over possible options … Stay safe brother

4 Likes

Just quick photo of a couple of the plants as I happened by the area today …More to come over the weekend… These are the survivors from the dropped bucket , really happy with the growth they have put on in 11 days of very ordinary weather conditions

11 Likes

I made time to make the rounds this afternoon
Bad news first - the Gold is … gone a rippa took her :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Now on to better things
Happy is a boy and is now a little over a foot tall , really amazed by him - doubled in size in 11 days
Stem rub is incredibly sweet n spice like Edit : the more I think … more piney rather than spice . structure is really good as well

The second group have also grown really well
I hope we get a girl :girl:
I will wait until they sex , then pull all the males out , I don’t need anymore seeds lol

Overall extremely impressed by these plants and the growth they have put on during really poor weather conditions . Looking at how healthy they appear I don’t think I need to Add anything to the soil for now , maybe light green is their thing

13 Likes

that’s ominous :pensive: should oil up your kung-fu or whatever :sweat_smile: & get paranoid. some remote cameras from amazon or something.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes