MadScientist's 3rd Annual 16oz Cup Competition 🏁

Those cups gonna go through changes. Ive never ran solo til finish but ive seen em. Theyll be little beasts. I got to figure a watering system. Theyre bone dry every time i go to em. So far nothing drastic but theyll be demanding even more once the flowers set.
This is the showtime part. As all these little beast start flexing, falling over n all that.

7 Likes

Yeah they’re the frostiezt out a all of em. But that Bag seed I cloned is gonna have a massive cola. I cloned it in case it’s super desirable. You never know bro. This is how great things are discovered. Fortune favors the bold. Seriously though when these finish up holler @rooted. Waiting for the ooohs and aaaahs. It’s already frosted.

I got a longer “stamped” out looking sawtooth leaves with more of a lime green then the BB pheno in the cup and one of my 3gL photo. I’m thinking that’s the white grape smash pheno. Str8 :fire:

3 Likes

Ok so day 22 i guess. Roots seem to be pruning themselves at the holes. I did top off cups cause roots on top. I think im just going to throw an extra cup around em to hold moisture once they dry a bit from this drenching. Still like tge little one. I plucked the weakest sucker branches off too.

12 Likes

Mine is pretty much just doing what they do at this stage, being fkn boring. :grin: I have been a bit lazy with it, it’s been living on the same half bucket on nutrient solution for 3 weeks now! It doesn’t seem to mind.

Growing pretty well but totally zero stretch, which has it’s own set of problems but anyway.

Getting nice and bonsai, gonna have to shibaru it down, and try to get some light into the middle.

Roots are getting denser also, getting packed in the cup now!

Now got 2 Skywalker OG babies in with it that need a different light schedule, so it is going to go back into it’s own bent spinny light tent :laughing:

Looking good everyone!

22 Likes

@slain man i gotta give it to you creative af! That plant looks crazy. Internodes? What’s that :joy::joy: very impressive can’t wait to see that lady finish. Gonna turn into a solid nugget haha

7 Likes

Ive got two cups hermid. I’m gonna grow everything out anyway. Its been bad news on bad news. Really took the wind out of my sails. It’s like running a race and throwing a rod in the home stretch. By the time I caught all the flowers that opened the fans are blowing most of the day.

4 Likes

Damn that’s shitty :slightly_frowning_face: I had that happen in my tent back during the winter, that shit sucks.

6 Likes

Here are mine, still don’t know what one to use. They all look very uniform.

11 Likes

Amazes me those cups are about on par with them bigger pots :hushed:

8 Likes

that might be because i transplanted those after they were in flower to long. i’m thinking about putting the next round of clones in the same pots with them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cheers man! So I think this is a pretty simple hackk to keep them super bushy and branched like this. Obviously it’s partly the culitvar itself (this is a very indica pheno also) but also I run low levels of nitrogen (5-15-14) all the way through, depending on if the plant is just growing over itself I might add a little calcium nitrate to help stretch node length but only in veg and only for short periods. So MOST nutrient solutions are MUCH higher on nitrogen, normally double the amount I use, which to me is too much as at the levels I use it I have never seen a nitrogen deficiency, and it’s totally obvious when I boost the levels all that happens is I get stretchy plants.

Also the other trick is 3500K light strips set at about 1 inch above the canopy so the plant doesn’t need to reach and last but most definitely not least, IMHO this stuff is freaking magic…

It has high levels on natural cytokines which encourage both root growth and branching hugely and seems to also have a huge effect on the plant’s overall health/resistance to pest and disease.

I also add potassium fulvate at flower time, which also seems to have a very obvious effect on how frosty they get.

I hope so bro!

9 Likes

Here’s my cups. I’m not going to bring them out anymore so nice picture you probably see will be when they’re ready for Harvest are just a couple shots over top of one. Not a whole lot going on just starting to swell I put some frost on. Everybody’s looks great. Yeah I have a good one and be safe.
-J

A shot of the tops.

And here’s what happens when you bury your plants under 4 feet of canopy instead of making little stands. All in all though the hid penetrates the canopy. I’d like to run two 600 watt HIDs with cool tubes. Anyway more pics

16 Likes

I suggest hitting 1 gpw with a single 600 first. That’s a tad over a pund FYI. In fact 2 lb a light is doable with a single 600w HPS and a dialed environment. I guess I’m trying to say you have more than enough light.:+1::seedling:

7 Likes

Oooow the competition is heating up! :smile:

I want to pull in our Breeders and elder OGers for the next round even if it means a lot of nagging & shit-talking. :fist: :muscle: :lifter:

@LemonadeJoe We need more fun competitions!

I got no response to my BOG vs Subcool grow-the-other-grower’s-strain idea. :unamused::thinking:

And keep all the prizes minimalist so we don’t attract flies.

:evergreen_tree:

12 Likes

lmao, I endorse the above comments. I like the Bog-SubCool contest, too. It would be as good for them as it would for us.

And, who likes flies? so, I agree there, too.

7 Likes

We think alike. I need more space I’d love to grow @Subcool s sweet tea has been in my crosshairs for a while, but bogs bubble gum or sweet tooth I would take it before the sweet tea. I got some seeds from dispensary weed I think that would be a cool thread dispensary seed growing thread.

I love your ideas though dude it really brings a lot of this together instead of having divided factions of people you never see cuz they’re only on one or two threads but y’all might have a lot more in common than you think. Good idea though dude I’d like to have some photo contest I get some Bud’s actually grown LOL but like you said there’s always going to be trolls on here because they know what goes on.
Just good people trying to help good people.

4 Likes

Bring it on I say! :laughing:

What size area? 1200 watts is a shit load of light! All things being equal it seems to me any more than 8-10K lumens per square foot is a waste and just adds extra heat that has to be dealt with. I get fluffier buds if I overcook the light, which I assume is down to heat.

6 Likes

Yehh I’ve learnt that lesson never understood why high temps means fluffy buds but that was in my first effort my area has been semi dialled in ever since :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I got a 600w hortilux and a 2000w led. I was gonna put a cob setup in their too. It’s too much. For me it’s too much. Heat stress water evap is crazy fast.

3 Likes

2KW draw at the plug? Hmm so that would give me 360, 000 lumens lol. Or easily enough for 4 Sq metres. And then what another 100K lumens for the HID? That’s heaps unless you got a small hanger :wink: One of the reasons I personally like the strip lights is that it’s a bigger spread of light so you can build a rig the size of your grow area and lower it till it’s an inch or so from the canopy, the plant has to touch the diode before it will burn it.

5 Likes