Magnesium deficiency, over watering?

Hoping someone can help. Not sure what’s happening here. Second run indoors in the new digs, first one was half-assed and this time around things are starting off similarly, but with more effort.

I believe I have thrips based off some of the leaf damage and maybe one captured.

My concerns are the leaves drooping, the brown spotting and leaves fading to a pale-lime green.

They’re in FFOF, being fed 1/4 strength FF grow big and big bloom PH 6.3. Under a 200w LED VIVOSUN light. Average day time climate is 73F and 52% RH. Lights off average is 65F and 58% RH. Just watered yesterday with a tablespoon of epsom salt per gallon (~1/3 gallon each to runoff). I don’t feel like I’m overwatering but I’m not convinced? These FF nutes also went through a winter or two in a shed in New England. Switching to Jacks 321 next watering. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

7 Likes

Would say over watering whole plant is yellow wilting and looks like starting to lock out nitrogen. Here a chart that was just posted that I think is useful.

2 Likes

Looks like probably a combination of the two. Maybe foliar with a lil Epson salt.

1 Like

Edit: I was trying to respond to op my apologies for the mis-click

When you say 1/4th strength, does that mean in every watering? How often are you hitting with nutes? What size pots? They are deficient and my first thought is; well yeah of course they are if they are only getting a fourth of the food they need. I’m betting the soil is depleted of nutrients and they need more food.

I agree that it’s a combination of the 2. Big Bloom is really mild. You’re also flushing out a bunch of nutrients if you’re allowing that much runoff.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the insight. Just to try to answer everyone’s questions and add whatever else I was missing for details-
I wasn’t feeding much for the first few weeks. Started in perlite/peat/muck mix, very light liquid kelp.
Transplant to solo cups after about a week above ground. They got bound in the solo cups before being transplanted to 1 gallon plastic pots 3 weeks ago with fresh FFOF & myco.
Last week was the first 1/4 strength feed, I had given them a roots organic grow terp tea after transplanting, and I drop a little liquid kelp, 2-3 ML in most watering.
I got a new Milwaukee EC/ppm pen to start dialing in for the octopot/jacks321 grow, tested the PPM of the runoff with the epsom salt watering the other night, it was something between 780-840 I believe. Only 280 going in.

So from what I understand they’re hungry, maybe need magnesium or nitrogen or something. I’ve been planning on switching to jacks asap just waiting on everything to come in, it’s all now here. Should I jump right into a full strength feeding or half strength, and should I let them dry out or just dive right in and spray the already wet dog with a hose? I got the 5-12-26(?) part A and Cal Nit part B, store brand plain epsom salts

Not 1/3 gallon of runoff, 1/3 gallon to each plant which allowed for a little runoff. I dumped the 3 spill saucers into one solo cup and it filled it to the brim. 4-6oz of runoff

Over watered. Giving them too much love and loving it to death. Let them dry back a little between waterings. Dint foliar feed when already over watered. Patience will be your biggest helper in this situation. It will take time to bounce back and throwing a bunch of stuff at it usually does more damage than good

5 Likes

I don’t grow in soil but I would not go full strength from jump with new nutes. I say start at 1/3rd strength and keep an eye on things. I would also allow them to dry back first. Here’s hoping another soil grower chimes in because I only have experience with perlite.

1 Like

Let these girls dry out fully, meant to water yesterday but life and what not. just fed 1/3 strength jacks nutrients. 5-12-26 part A, 15-0-0 Part B cal-nit, and epsom salt. Will post an update in 2 or 3 days. Thanks everyone for your help

1 Like

Much happier. Much much happier. Thanks everyone. Still looks like the purple lemonade (front left) has some yellow tips on the new growth if I recall correctly she’s looking for more nitrogen?

2 Likes

Nitrogen is a mobile element, plant will take it from the lower leaves, that can explain the bottom yellowing … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes

Did you end up flushing them?

No flush, I pretty much followed your advice as interpreted (over water under fed). Let them dry out, did a 1/3 strength feed with jacks nutrients 321. I definitely feel they were over watered and under fed. Started too late and too light and the ocean forest was probably depleted. I could have even transplanted into my vegetable seedling mix which is super light, or a blend, I don’t recall and wouldn’t put it past me. Transplanting to 5 gal fabric bags with a 50% feed soon.
Thanks again everyone for your help!

1 Like