Making Desert Land Fertile with Water Bunds šŸ’¦

Today I found out about bunds.

And yet again we are shown how profoundly powerful simplicity can be.

Dig shallow holes, sow seeds, and stand back. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Have a blessed day everyone. :green_heart:

22 Likes

I have great success doing this to grow succulent plants in our yard in the SW USA, where it doesnā€™t rain from May through October. I always called them ā€œbermsā€.

Just a low half-circle ā€œwallā€ of soil around each plant, and in a ā€œfish scaleā€ pattern.
See first image.
They channel and hold rain water. Preventing or at least greatly reducing water run-off and soil errosion.

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing this amazing technique with all of us @Rogue !!!

All my in ground plants have ā€œdonut moundsā€ around their bases which collect and channel all water to the roots of the plant versus watering the weeds :rofl:

:heart:

10 Likes

Pics or it didnā€™t happen! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Look up Brad Lancaster on YouTube. He has lots of videos. All about rainwater harvesting and planting in desert surroundings. Really cool stuff. The guy is real clever and will amaze you.

5 Likes

True story, Iā€™ve discovered him a while back, he wrote a couple of books too .
Thanks for bringing him up!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HarvestingRainwater

2 Likes
2 Likes

I live in the same town as Brad and heā€™s made a huge impact on it. Neighborhoods have been totally transformed using his techniques. We live in the desert SW and have severe water concerns. Very few households have lawns any more, as they were just a carryover from easterners moving here. Most have adapted to local or local adapted landscaping and water harvesting techniques. Many people (myself included) have large cisterns (500+ gallons) to capture rainwater from the roof.
Before you plant anything else, ā€œPlant the water firstā€
ā€¦ oh yeah, and those books, ā€œRainwater Harvesting for drylands and beyondā€ are extremely good for grasping this concept

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! Thanks for sharing! This is real progress and empowerment!!!

1 Like
2 Likes