Making Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB)

I wish i had that luxery. For now i use un pasterized milk from the healthfood store… fuckin makes you go broke… but you should smell it when i use that with some of their goat milk. Its made in town so thats the best i can getXD and it tastes incredible… the milk not the lacto😂

1 Like

I can get goat milk too. Easily, would it better or just the same?

2 Likes

after u have made it a few times u’ll find it easier to get & use pasteurized products ,with no difference that anyone can tell over using fresh warm milk outta a cow with the finished LAB product . I used whole organic in a glass bottle the 1st time , now on my over 10th batch I just get store bought jug milk , I make 3 gallons each batch

3 Likes

I got jug milk this first time. We’ll see how it turns out… :wink:

2 Likes

Ive seen plently of people with microscopes posting clear differences! You dont know till you have a good microscope. But its just common knowledge that raw milk would be better. Even if you know nothing about knf:)

1 Like

I agree, having better ingredients makes better meals. Even if you don’t cook very good. But a real good cook will make anything taste good, because of the knowledge/experience… With poor ingredients.

3 Likes

"

This is the way things are going with the “Jug Milk”… A little over 24 hours and check it out.

3 Likes

Sick bro! Ive used organic whole milk in jugs for the longest.

1 Like

I see only two layers tho… Not three! Makes me wonder…

1 Like

Third layer is usualy very lttle amount if any of the bottom of a jar

1 Like

I expected three thick layers… But that only means more LAB instead of disposable contains. :100:

1 Like

i wont run out for a whileXD

3 Likes

They are coming to re-charge cooling gas on a little fridge i got there for this purposes…

1 Like

The three layers is referred to the rice wash step there’s usually a floaty crap layer on top some sediment on bottom the the harvestable layer in the middle, hope that helps.

3 Likes

I didn’t know the third layer at the bottom was just sediment i expected to see something thick.

1 Like

Actually i don’t think i paid enough attention to your remark here. I wasn’t using whole milk, this is 1% pasteurized and homogenized cheap milk from a Jug. The cheapest on the market, which is what i use on my coffee in the morning.

EDIT: Here it is… The final product, 600mL. I’d say pretty good for a first time. Gave the cheese to my chihuahua. :wink:

1 Like

Lookin good dude! Now sip it😉

1 Like

So my question is if you can use the middle layer directly while you also let the jar with milk in it ferment and finish. If i’m correct the middle layer in the rice wash has the LB in it, we’re just using milk to colonize and grow them.

Please correct me in my thinking if it’s off. Cheers.

2 Likes

you can but you risk other bacteria being present. possibly pathogenic bacteria. i would only do it if i had a good microscope to be sure.

2 Likes

Here is my second attempt at making LAB, the first one i had made turned out to be really good but this time i will do it with more care and a little bit of experience. Again, thanks @lotus710!

Rice wash water in place since two nights ago, and ready to start cultivating the bacteria while the milk ferments.

Here we go.

5 Likes