Male selection? how do you select and maintain your males

what am I looking for? large clusters, fat stems, purple calyxes and leaves, and what else? heavy odors, bigger fan leaves?

8 Likes

Although I prefer green yes to your list. I try to not breed with the fast males is what I would add too but that’s me and you will get some sound additions I’m sure from the good folks here

3 Likes

Outta likes.

As someone who does not make beans, that’s a question that never would have occurred to me. :+1:

4 Likes

Depends what your goals are.

If you’re line breeding and not outcrossing, I generally try to find matching pairs. Male(s) that look and smell like my favorite female(s).

8 Likes

Health and vigor is what I really like to see in my males first thing. I like stout plants that can take whatever I throw at them with ease. Wether excessive temps or hotter feeds. I want them to be the picture of health.

Size and structure are big for me. I prefer larger plants in my grows and more frequently I will pick larger more stout males (but not always. It’s situational.). I also like to see even growth and wider canopies.

Another one is stem rubs and overall terpene profiles. Males will just get the boot if the have nothing offer in this department.

When it comes to speed of pollen I’ve had faster and slower pollen from different males and not noticed much difference when it comes to the speed of the male. As long as the pollen is viable and makes you healthy beans you’re good.

@HolyAngel makes a good point as well with goals specific situation like that.

11 Likes

On top of everything the others said before me, I’m on the lookout for males with the most resin (frost).

8 Likes

Usually structure, size and time of flowering.
I found that if I used a male that flowers at the same time as the females the progeny flowering times were very consistent.

Cheers
G

13 Likes