Malted barley Soil amending

If I were to use organic two row malted barley cracked and ready and added to my soil mixed in as an amendment how long would it take to cook into the soil and release the enzymes in it and start working on the microbes in the soil?How long should I cook it for?

9 Likes

Good question. I would like to know as I have 50lbs.

6 Likes

As far as I understand malted barley doesnā€™t need to ā€˜cookā€™, it is used mostly to feed fungal growth and like you said the microbes help break it down to make things like beneficial enzymes, chitinase etc plant available.

10 Likes

So pretty much churn into soil and water it and thatā€™s all?

3 Likes

Yes mate or you can top dress it or add it direct to your worm bin and let them do all the work

5 Likes

Absolutely put it in, right after a compost tea is great.

3 Likes

@FattyRoots is :100: percent correct!! In fact, ā€œCootsā€ recommended 1/2 of teaspoon sprinkled on top of soil when you transplant seedlings, aids in root development. Using Malted Barley resulted in 15% faster finishing!!** SS/BWā€¦mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

12 Likes

Thatā€™s what she saidā€¦

sorry for the crassness, ā€œyou can take the boy out of Aus but you canā€™t take the Aussie out the boyā€ :joy:

8 Likes

I just started using it this year and wonā€™t ever stop. Great stuff! Most ppl have already answered but ya itā€™s pretty much available to the life in the soil straight away. Iā€™ll usually sprinkle on a layer after a top dressing. Brings on the mycelium pretty fast!

2 Likes

I have used the old Coots recommendation of 1 ounce (28 grams) of malted barley powder to 5 gallons of water and burned plants.

I have had better results using smaller amounts (1 TBSP per gallon). I like to put the grains in a jar with a bit of water and hit it with an immersion blender. I then strain and add it to a bucket of water.

12 Likes

How the hell did that happen?Coots talks about a guy that uses 10 lbs of malted barley a week.Check out the future cannabis project and look up Coots heā€™s on there itā€™s like a 3 hour podcast.he talks all about it.I didnā€™t know that stuff burned shit yikes.

4 Likes

In my experience less is more. Coots kinda over does everything IMO. Iā€™ve had to adjust a lot of his advice, such as using 5ml/gal ksil every feeding. Way too much K and drove my pH up high.

Yes I watched it.

I do give him credit for pushing calcium though. :grin:

12 Likes

This is something Iā€™ll have to try. Does it somehow speed up flowering, am I reading that right?

Weed podcasters/ YouTubers all seem to exaggerate just a bit, lots of good info but most needs adjusted.

I think it might, but Iā€™ve never really done a side by side study. It seems to be roughly 10% faster.

2 Likes

I forget which one it was but one of them advised full strength fox farm trio if youā€™re under 1000w lights in hydro. That did not go well for me :confused:

3 Likes

Everything in moderation.

3 Likes

Does he grind his or use it whole? I have to go re-watch. It has been 3 years.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Grind it right before use, thats why I call it malted barley powder :wink:

Ive actually been making my own cannabis sprout teas instead of malted barley, but most people donā€™t have a pound of cannabis seed. :rofl:

10 Likes

Donā€™t know whatā€™s up with FF these days but I had got a bag of FFOF and it burned up every seed I planted in it and burned another plant for like 4 weeks before it started to get back to normal.They spray a synthetic nitrogen solution on it Iā€™ve heard.Iā€™m starting to think the only good product they have is the big bloom.Canā€™t really fuck that one up itā€™s all castings and bat shit.

4 Likes

I still use big bloom once a week with some mollases but thatā€™s it for feeding this grow, just a decent potting soil mixed with organic tomato food and kelp meal.

1 Like