30 Likes

He’s feeling it.

15 Likes

Total click-bait bro. Not cool.
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Nice pics! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes
1 Like

lol, mantises are such odd, dorky dudes… looks slightly confused and yet determined.

btw
largest species is from Java afaik, second largest… Germany, known for its tropical weather and jungles.

do they protect the plant from evil critters?

1 Like

2 Likes

They are an amazing predator I looked into getting some but they are expensive, don’t last long and there’s only one kind I could find allowed in Canada lol

4 Likes

That’s cool

I found one yesterday in the yard.

8 Likes

Put him in your tent. They eat aphids and spider mites.

1 Like

I have been seeing some babies recently. I need to read up and see how I can encourage them to stick around

6 Likes

That is freaky. I bought thee of the papery cases. I kept them in the fridge and hatched out one each year for three years. There were 100’s in each. I started collecting them and put them on the bushes and trees out side.

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

I had one in a plant a bring home from my buddies and thought it was the coolest thing put it in my tent to take care of bugs.

Still better than having Manatees…

1 Like

I usually have them to.
Sadly only a few. They seem to hang around on my Veranda as lng as they’re small and then move on.
Such a cool insect :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Mantids are easy to hatch. Several years ago I ordered some egg cases (ootheca). I used a brown paper grocery bag with a multi stemmed branch placed inside. I hung the cases from the branch, folded the top of the bag closed and I waited for about 10 days. It looked something like this.

I released a bunch of them into the grow rooms and the rest went out side around the yard. The little ones in the rooms were around for a couple of months. They will cannibalize when there is nothing else to eat.

4 Likes

Love having them around! :green_heart:

6 Likes